Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:45 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Living Dead « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Night of the Living Dead  (Read 69079 times)
Apollyon
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Honestly I was no more sympathetic towards Ben than Harry in this film, since both wanted to be "in charge". Let's be real here: If by chance a horde of flesh-eating undead did try to take over the world, NO ONE would be in charge, it would be every man for himself (and maybe just agree to help each other out). I think the film plays with this idea a bit: Note that Ben's "leadership" eventually got everyone killed (thanks in part to everyone else's screwups, though) and the greatest irony of the film is that Harry was actually right about the basement being the safest place, but Ben was far to stubborn to listen, insisting instead that HE was "in charge". I think this is why I preferred the remake of this film - there were actually one or two level-headed characters to balance out all the macho power-struggling.
Anonymous
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

What's wrong with the 30th Anniversary Edition?

George A. Romero was originally supposed to direct the new scenes, but he got tied up with another project.

And Scott Vladimir Licina's new score was excellent.

Okay, so the new scenes didn't mix in very well, but the original cut of the film is included on the disc as well (with Licina's excellent score as well).

And it's still an interesting experiment. Too bad it didn't work.

But it's still one of the greatest horror films of all time, and no matter what you do to it, it's still that same old classic.
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The first of Romero's classic "Living Dead series" this one  is bleak, relentless, and brilliant.
Anonymous
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Believe it or not, this movie is public domain! You can watch it for free and hell, why not download it while you are there. Check it out

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=feature_films&collectionid=night_of_the_living_dead
nks
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

OK, but how come the corpse Barbara finds in the house (creepy skeleton stuffed in the closet) never comes to life as a zombie?  The TV broadcast says that ALL who die from whatever cause since the time of the zombie's rising will come back as zombies.  So has the skeleton in the closet been dead too lnog to be affected?  This seems strange, because it seems as though the chouse was recently inhabited.  Any answers to this?
fishdog
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2005, 07:43:02 PM »

Whats so great about Night is that through out it reveals the still living as the true monsters
scleris
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"What's wrong with the 30th Anniversary Edition?"
What's wrong with it? I'll answer that last.

"George A. Romero was originally supposed to direct the new scenes, but he got tied up with another project."

Actually, Romero was never slated to direct, even if John Russo has given that impression in interviews over the years since the release/dismal failure of this hacked film.
Romero never gave his blessing or his directorial intentions.

"And Scott Vladimir Licina's new score was excellent."
Excellent seems pretty silly to me, but I'm not saying you're silly for enjoying it, honest. I like a lot of stuff that sucks. But Licina's a hack, at any point in his new 'score', the music is either irritating, derivative or just plain ineffective. The original's stock library score was far more effective.

"Okay, so the new scenes didn't mix in very well, but the original cut of the film is included on the disc as well (with Licina's excellent score as well)."
Again, excellent is in the ear of the be-hearer (?). And you're right, the new scenes didn't mix in well... at all.

"And it's still an interesting experiment. Too bad it didn't work. But it's still one of the greatest horror films of all time, and no matter what you do to it, it's still that same old classic."
Here I MUST agree, it IS a classic, and this experiment did NOT work. At all.
And here is what is wrong with this Edition.
People who did not see the original NOTLD before this hackneyed b.s. version came out MIGHT think THIS is the definitive version of the film.
If this film HAD been the one released in 1968, I highly doubt it would have retained any amount of the power and legend it surely holds now. It would never have become the classic we agree it is.
And the worst part is the arrogance and stupidity of Mssrs. Russo and Streiner, et al.
John Russo's been riding the wave (if you can call it that) of being a part of the original's creation ever since it was created, and thinks he has the right to dicker with it because of this conceit.
Which would be like my repainting the Mona Lisa because I helped build the frame. Or recutting the Beatles albums because I delivered the blank tapes to Capitol and Apple.
I'm not saying NOTLD is the Mona Lisa or The Beatles, but it IS pretty damned close to their level of status in popular culture, and for ANYONE, no matter how closely involved with the original, to screw it up is shameful and stupid.
I am still p**sed at George Lucas for his dickering with his OWN films, so even if Romero HAD been involved with this one, I'd still spit on it (lest anyone think I'm some starry-eyed Romero lover)...
If Russo and the Gang can't make a NEW film worth a damn (and even the most cursory glancing of Children of the Dead pretty much indicates their lack of real talent to do so), then they ought to hang up their lab cots and go home.
Leave our classics alone.
Kevin
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2007, 12:43:57 PM »

My all time favorite movie!!! The untampered one is an all time classic!!
Woll
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 09:54:37 PM »

Only three drops? Really?
chrisbg
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »

My dad let me watch this when I was like 6 or something. Since then zombies have been a regular part of my nightmares.

Still an entertaining movie though.
Principal L.B. Thrillkill
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »

hot You better bust your hind end to see this classic! Great reviews all around!!!! Father of modern Zombie movies!!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!
Andyryey
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 01:27:01 AM »

Definitely the only movie that I was a little spooked by.  Walking through the dark house from the living room to my bedroom in the middle of the night right after watching Night of the Living Dead was scary I tell you what.

And I don't know if anyone else said this but one more thing to watch for is when Barbara slaps the black guy then he just gives her this look and BAM smacks her across the face and knocks her out. hahahaha best part of the whole movie.
Videoport Jones
New Visitor

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »

A review for your consideration from the filmgeeks at Videoport, the best g-d video store (left) in the world (we're in Portland, Maine).  Peace and Zombies.

videoportjones.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/zombie-war-1-night-of-the-living-dead-1968/

and here are THE ZOMBIE RULES!

videoportjones.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/the-zombie-rules/

Fight!  Fight!  Fight!
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »

I'm actually watching this film for the first time right now.  I am finally getting a chance to see this.  To be honest the movie is pretty good but fairly dated I do like the 90's version better.  In the 90's version Barbara is an actual character for more than just the first 15 minutes of the film. 
Actor motivation for 1968's Barbara: you like small things, stare at the music boxes and lace while you wait for zombies to eat you.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
SwimTiger
New Visitor

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »

The first time I ever saw Night of the Living Dead was on the PBS channel. They were doing a 10 year anniversary of this horror classic. It was shocking at the time and being filmed in Black & White made it even more scary. Although I seen Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things 6 years earlier, this movie was in a class of it's own. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Living Dead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.