Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:28:36 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Flash Gordon (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Flash Gordon (1980)  (Read 125028 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: June 19, 2000, 10:27:16 AM »

Earth is under attack by the evil ruler of the planet Mongo. Our only hope, besides the Queen theme song, is Flash Gordon.

Flash!  Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Stefan Robak
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2000, 11:05:04 AM »

Being a fan of comics, I have to point this out: Klytus looks like Dr. Doom (#1 comic book villain).  If he talks in the 3rd person and complains about that "accursed Richards" then I'll know he's a rip off.
Scaarge
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2000, 11:27:36 AM »

This is a dumb, fun movie.  It's also got to be the most COLORFUL thing ever made, it makes the Kingdom of Oz look shabby and drab.  Glad this one got 4 slimes, it deserves it.  Also of note:  Richard O'Brien (Rocky Horror) is in there as Barin's best friend.
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2000, 09:49:19 AM »

As far as science fiction film are concerned, this was at least watchable. Still, I would much prefer to see the Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serials of the 30s. Max Von Sydow does make a cunningly, evil Ming doesn't he?
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2000, 12:37:18 PM »

Sam J. Jones' utter inability to act was finally and undeniably exposed at this point, but he was still allowed to sully another great hero (in the unreleased TV pilot of "The Spirit") before fading completely out of the picture...

Klytus is actually my favorite character, with his (relatively) calm demeanor and restrained performance. Even with his entire head encased in gold-plated plastic, one can taste the withering sneer every time he says "Pathetic..."
Chris
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2000, 10:27:16 AM »

It's about time this got a review! A truly excellent example of a 'so bad it's good' movie, what with the lowest of the low-budget special effects, and to compensate, an excellent score by Queen (plus Brian Blessed with wings!).  Undiluted enjoyment. Surely this is what movies are all about?
wezeldog
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2000, 03:59:17 PM »

Ah...Flash Gordon. I need to revisit this one. I'm glad that the superior residents of Mongo have a place for tight-fitting spandex. Also, if I am not mistaken, Flash escapes certain death 7 times in a ten minute span. The pinball machine was outstanding, however.

Didn't Dino intend on making this as a serious film and was pretty upset when the screening audiences were howling with laughter?

The End ? (boing!)...heheh....
Lord Levrion
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2000, 01:47:34 AM »

Prince Vultan was in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!
He was Robin Hood's father, at the beginning of the movie when the Sheriff of Nottingham was about to take over his castle, Prince Vultan was the one who got caught in a trap and killed, Robin's father!
Chris
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2000, 03:44:53 PM »

Lord Levrion: I'm aware that Brian Blessed also featured in Star Wars the Phantom Menace as a fish diety. Also, if you want to hear more of that laugh, watch the first Blackadder series...(eighties uk comedy)
Canadaphile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I remember seeing this in the theater when I was thirteen and after Flash said "Flash Gordon, quarterback, New York Jets," some guy yelled out "JETS SUCK!"  Only in New York!  

doctor paul
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Flash is like Jesus Christ Superstar in that it is one of the best three movies ever made.  (The other one being 'Hair').  Everything else is just pap.  Flash!  So much colour and sex.  Totally brilliant.  

I am not a sad movie buff: this is the ONLY film in the world where I know nearly all the words.  Death to Ming!
Thomas Hulstrøm
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I think i was 12 or 13 years old when i saw this... i didnt see it as a B-movie. I really thought it was great at very exciting. Would like to see it today... maybe i'd change my mind. I remember it as being very intense and colorful.
Georgiann
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Love the sheer chutzpah and campiness of this movie.  The  great music by Queen, the satin & spandex costumes, the bordello-like decor of Ming's castle, the plummy scene chewing of Topol, Brian Blessed and Max Von Sydow, the amazingly clunky special effects, and yes, even the  incredible wooden acting of Sam Jones all have their charm. Very loud, very colorful, and a lot of fun.  
Joey
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Why people say this is a "bad" movie is totally beyond me! It isn't BAD... it's GOOD. In fact, the effects and the movie itself are far less "dated" in appearance than STAR WARS.

Doesn't anyone "get" that this is total "camp" and not meant to be taken seriously? The screenwriter is the same guy who worked on the old Adam West Batman series.... doesn't anyone GET it?

This movie has a fantastic soundtrack. It has some of the most incredible set designs and costumes ever to grace an SF movie.

The dialogue, the acting... it's all SUPPOSED to be the way it is. If you "got" the old Batman tv series, then take the same approach to watching this. Same writer... same approach to comic book heroes. I would not want it any other way! I cannot imagine a more perfect flash gordon movie.

I was a fan in 1980 and I will ALWAYS be a fan of this VERY enjoyable film. I would would watch it ANY day over Star Wars (a film that has not aged well).

-Joey
Nova
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I agree with Joey, this movie was intentionally made in a "Camp" style, I saw it in 1980 in the the theatres when it was released and loved it, mind you I was 12 but still! It looks great, all those colors, plus it is very comic bookish in appearance which works well here. The acting is not good but acting is relative, I think for these one dimentional characters the bad acting here is just right. I don't really think this is a bad movie, it's enjoyable, much better than Spawn for example which had great effects. The effects for Flash work well because they look kind of fake just like the original Flash series from the 30's/40's. However I dissagree with the comment that StarWars has not aged well; sure, it looks dated but it's a better movie than Flash any day!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Flash Gordon (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.