Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:24:27 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Flash Gordon (1980) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Flash Gordon (1980)  (Read 124855 times)
Tim
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I've seen this movie more times than I care to admit but I'm still puzzled by at least one thing.  Aura provides Dale with a vial of poison stating that Ming, "...always drinks a power potion before making love."  Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that she would know about her father's bedroom habits?
Phil
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Loved this movie ever since I saw it in a theater with a pack of rabid SF nerds back in 1980. (I still remember the crowd cheering when Flash gets sucking into the quicksand)

An amazing cast (except of course for Flash and Dale) really make this film a winner. I still consider it a crime against humanity that it never got an Oscar nod for set and costume design.
Hawkeye Pierce (again)
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

DAMN I LOVE THIS MOVIE
FLASH AHA SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE
TOM SERVO
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Is'nt it sad that this movie has a better sense of fun than Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones combined? One of the best bad movies EVER!!  My favorite part is the end when all the hawkmen spell out "THANKS FLASH". That took a lot of flying skill on their part.
Hawkeye Pierce
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

MAN THIS MOVIE ROCKS
the first Bad Movie I saw and I hope not the last (dying to see Dracula vs Frankenstein)
I watched the movie because I'm a Queen fan and , well the music was good (so good i bought the album , FLASH AHA) and it was realy beareble. Prety cool movie exept for the ending. no big fight , no space battle , man I love this movie!!!
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

In the belief that everything that is made has to be remade, there is some talk in Hollywood of remaking "Flash Gordon" w/ Stephen Sommers as the director and Ashton Krutcher in the role of Flash Gordon. While it will not be hard to top Sam J. Jones (though, I don't think they could top Buster Crabbe) how are they going to top a cast that includees Melody Anderson, Max Von Sydow, Topol, Ornella Muti, Timothy Dalton, Brian Blessed, and Peter Wyngarde? And how are they ever going to top that wonderful film score by Queen?
mike52t
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

So incredibly camp it requires tent pegs to hold it in place. Jones was perfectly awful, that is to say awful in a way perfect for this film. Just where DID they put the 'borer worms' anyway?
George
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

One of my all time favorite comic book movies since I was a kid! I remember watching Flash Gordon in the early 80's on HBO as young kid and I was so into this movie that I would watch it every time it was on! And I was so into Klytus that back then as a kid my mom bought me a cheap plastic shinny look a like Halloween mask and I would make believe I was him. And my other favorite characters were the Hawkmen,I just loved the way they attacked the space ship with the Queen soundtrack playing in the back ground awesome scene in the movie! I have to say Queen did an excellent job on the soundtrack which fits perfectly with the movie. Hell I even own the soundtrack! So this movie is right up their with Superman 1 & 2 and not to far behind is Swampthing hell even Howard The Duck as my favorite all time comic book movies! Finally I'm very happy to hear that a Special Edition DVD of Flash Gordon is in the making and set due out sometime later this year...
Karim
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2005, 01:30:16 AM »

When i was a boy, Flash was my idol, i saw that movie maybe 40 times, and now (as an adult) i can see some thing that are not good enough, (either way was one of my all time favorites)
Stefano Pavone
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is one of my favourite films.

The most memorable lines for me are as follows:

VULTAN: "DIVE!"
MING: "Klytus, I'm BORED!"
BARIN: "Lying b***h!"
FLASH: "Forget it, Ming! Dale's with ME!"
KLYTUS: "Now - HE showed promise!"
ZARKOV: "It's no mistake - it's an ATTACK! I've been right all these years!"

I think that's enough.

"Flash Gordon" should get a gold medal for sci-fi films.
The only bad point is the film ends on a cliffhanger and the person who takes Ming's ring cannot be Klytus, as some suggest, as Klytus was spiked alive. No sequel was made.
George
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this twice in December 1980 and, at the time, enjoyed it more than either of the "Star Wars" movies. I still really like this flick today, although, I now recognize the original "Star Wars" trilogy for the acheivement that it is. It's the 2nd best sci-fi/fantasy trilogy ever (the 1st being P. Jackson's "Lord Of The Rings"). Back to "Flash Gordon" (please forgive my digression), the SPFX are awesome in their cheesiness and the music score totally rocks! Sam J. Jones made a decent Flash and Max Von Sydow was the epitome of evil. Given that I was 13 at the time of its release, the amount of violence and (multicolored) gore in this PG rated flick was a real bonus! BTW, thank you for making me aware that this 80s gem is available on DVD.
Richard
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

One thing I learned from this movie: Bleach-blond men in briefs probably won't get laid.
Major giggles
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

All I can say is where was the sequel???

I own the original Buster Crabbe versions and I would of thought that a sequel or even a trilogy would of been made. On it's own it was a fantastic movie with a good cast and a great sound track.
jmsynth
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Although it's (very) easy to just label as a bad film, this delivers everything this sort of film should deliver. Alot more fun than "Superman Returns" anyway.
Dee
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I remember watching Flash Gordon on HBO at a neighbors when I was like 12-13. I fell in love with it & still enjoy seeing it to this day. Yes, it's cheesey & beyond B-rated, but the Queen soundtrack alone makes it a fun movie. I feel that there are some gaps in the film, but that goes without saying in many a Sci-Fi flick. It's one of those you either love or hate, but I will always have a place in my movie viewing to see it whenever I get a chance.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Flash Gordon (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.