Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:20:29 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Tingler « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Tingler  (Read 50686 times)
Warren H.
« on: June 26, 2000, 10:09:08 AM »

The Tingler reminds me less of a centipede than a silver fish.  Most people have probably seen them, those long little buggers with thick antennae at one end and horns on the other.  But closer inspection leads me to believe that it might be based upon an onacopheran (spelling?  I'd check but I'm too lazy).  Those are slowly moving, soft-bodied creatures that spit slime.  I'll have to check my animal encyclopedia and get back to you.
Ken Begg
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2000, 02:46:44 PM »

Sorry, boys, it's clearly an earwig/centipede mix.

As much as I hate to deconstruct such a famous myth, Percepto didn't shock the audience, it vibrated the seat.  Same effect, though.  And yes, we could certainly use more William Castles these sorry days.  Check out Matinee for Joe Dante's homage to the master.
Goreomedy
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2000, 04:10:57 AM »

Ken, you beat me to the punch in mentioning Matinee.

Tingler happens to be my favorite Castle film, and I thought "Mant" was a great homage.  They don't make them like they used to, do they?  

In sad news, the next Castle film to receive the Hollywood rape treatment(first being House on Haunted Hill) will be 13 Ghosts.  They promise to have updated "Illusiono" effects.

Why can't they leave well enough alone?
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2000, 10:03:38 AM »

Definately, a Price classic. The Tingler was a movie, I remember seeing at a late night feature, when I was 6.William Castle introduced audiences to Percepto (a mild way to shock filmgoers.) Castle would have seats rigged with shock devices, which would zap the unsuspecting individual in the seat. The idea of perceiving the emotion of fear, in the form of this cetipede-like creature seems a little silly, by today's standard, but one cannot deny that The Tingler is an unforgettable Vincent Price thiller, and must be seen.
Tony
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2000, 07:22:26 AM »

Yes, William Castle was definitely ahead of his time and this really is one of his best movies in my opinion, even tho is is cheesy when you see it now. But you gotta remember he made this way back in the 50's and times were alot diffrent back then. I've heard rumours that they wanna make a remake of this movie, a-la House on Hanted Hill, but don't know if that will ever happen. Seems ol' Mr. Castle was always dreaming up new ways to get the audience more involved in his movies, its just too bad none of today's directors take hints from him! Vincent Price also gives a good preformance here, but theres other movies where he excels even more such as Theator of Blood. But the thing that still cracks me up is when he injects the LSD and starts freaking out! I'm surprized that nobody really mentions this considering that this was back when LSD was actually legal to use! Oh well, how times do change...
Christy
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2000, 03:31:35 PM »

This is a strange film, with some "pregnancy" overtones (alien body growing inside of you). It's also on my list of "Films One Should Not See While Sick And/Or Pregnant."
By the way, Aliens and The Fly (1986) are also on that list.
Budd
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2000, 08:29:39 PM »

Sure would have gotten a kick out of seeing this one in a theater. It just wasn't the same on TV.
luke Bannon
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2002, 05:20:30 AM »

One of the best horror films I have seen. Vincent Price once again showing he was one of the greatest actors in the genre!
Fred
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The Tingler was an o.k. fright flick, desperately in need of a bigger budget. William Castle and his gimmicks were the real stars of this film. My favorite Castle films are The House on Haunted Hill, The Old Dark House,The Night Walker, Let's Kill Uncle & The Spirit is Willing. It's a shame that not all of Castle's films are available on tape or DVD.       WILLIAM CASTLES RULES!!!
TomVee
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2003, 07:43:54 PM »

Saw this in the movies when i was around 9 and it scared the beejesus out of me! It does not have the same impact on TV, unfortunately, plus I am a lot older now. A rubber centipede moved by wires simply does not have the same impact as it did when I was 9 and watching it on a huge screen in a dark theater. Price is great, by the way.
Clement
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Loved the movie when I first saw it as a kid back in 1959. I still have the "tingler button" I was given when I entered the theater. It's a small disk about the size of a dime with a red T on it. It is made of glow in the dark plastic and it's supposed to keep the Tingler from getting you. Must work. I haven't been attacted by a tingler ever since.
Wasyl
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I remember seeing this on TV in the late 60's, everyone in my class saw it and talked about how scary it was during recess.  I watched it again with the neighbourhood kids on a summer afternoon, and when shrieking when The Tingler escaped out of it's box.  That's when my mom had enough and came in the room and shut the TV off!
Mike Ziemba
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The other night I was trying to describe this movie to some of my friends when we were dicussing old/bad movies.  They had never seen the movie and so I decided to try to find a copy.  I saw this movie when I was about 8 years old on TV (1966?).  It made quite an impression.  I remember chasing my little brother around with the leftover spine from a fish dinner - I think he felt a bit of the "tingler" that night.  Many years passed before I was able to catch this little jem again - too bad my little brother moved to Florida!
Zenguy
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this film at a matinee when I was a kid and it gave me nightmares for months.  However, it's not the best of the Castle films.  "Mr. Sardonicus" would have to rank as the Number 1 all-time scary Castle film.  
Fish Biologist
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Everybody is wrong :  It's a hellgrammite (scarier than centipede, eh?), aquatic larvae of the Dobson Fly.

Great bait for smallnouth bass!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Tingler « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.