Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:03:24 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  At the Earth's Core « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: At the Earth's Core  (Read 43017 times)
Tubby
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Possibly one of the greatest B-movies ever made! Doug McClure and Peter Cushing make a great team: Cushing as his eccentric professor, McClure in his typical jock/hero role.

I only wish they had more films together. Great cheesy fun... like an old Flash Gordon episode or Saturday morning cartoon. If you like B-movies (if not, why are you on this site?) then you'll love this.
bryce
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2000, 09:08:18 PM »

I love this movie. Caroline Munro, Peter Cushing, the score is good and it's goofy fun. What more can you ask?

BTW, I don't think the dinosaurs were meant to look like authentic dinos. Not only it adds to the alien landscape of the inner earth world but also, if these dinosaurs evolved on for millions of years while all the others on top of earth ended-up as fosils, then these inner earth dinosaurs basically evolved into completly different or new species.
Chris
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2000, 09:37:09 AM »

The least convincing of director Kevin Connor's films, this is supposed to be a follow up to The Land That Time Forgot, but I couldn't spot any familiar dinosaurs (apart from Peter Cushing of course)
For a better example of Connor's eighties fables, see The Warlord's of Atlantis (also starring Doug Mclure)....exterior location shooting (plus nice matt backdrops), and more men in rubber suits, gurgling water

scott
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2000, 03:19:06 AM »

From the review, it sounds like it followed the Edgar Rice Burroughs book pretty faithfully.  He wrote a few books set in "Pellucidar" the land at the Earth's core.
Swamprat
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

When British filmmakers do something good, they do the best. When they do something bad...you get s**t like this. Other than Peter Cushing's usual high caliber performance, this thing wreaks. Story construction is worse than a Hanna Barbara Saturday morning cartoon. Stupid story, stupid situation, stupid characters. Stupid-Stupid-STUPID. Early Godzilla grade special effects. Pathetic "monsters". Ham-Fisted American Hero too stupid to zip his own paints. Bumbling Victorian English Scientist-Inventor. And a bunch of filth covered extras running around like rats in a cellar. Oh-yeah...don't forget the "mind control" the "monster's" evil henchmen-critters seem to posses in thier sticks. Maybe this thing was aimed at children...it's hard to tell...but even if it was it's still a total loser. Don't buy it, don't rent it, don't watch it at three in the morning. If it shows up on a marathon of bad films on cable somewhere...refuse to pay your bill that month. Show this movie to the Judge...it'll hold up in court.
Doug
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Hi!
At the Earths core was written pre-WW1. And in the book (which played with all those old "hollow Earth theories" the Iron mole only has to dig down ca. 500 miles. So the trip would be much shorter than 3 weeks. I was a huge ERB fan as a kid. so I just thought i´s stick up for ole Edgar.
This is a great site though.

Doug
Brenn
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Only one thing to say:
Doug McClure -
Drool. Nice hair to.
night heron
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 11:55:07 AM »

The whole thing a bunch of nasty pteridactyles and pig men and how you bring them down and how about the parrotsoarus chasing them as peter chusing tries to scare it off with his ubrella and at the end when the mole macine comes up in front of the whitehouse?
M
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is what the lousy "The Core" should have been! :o)
WitchKing
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

As others have pointed out, this does have the feel of an old Flash Gordon serial.  I'm sure Edgar Rice Burroughs would cringe, but it is enjoyable in a low-rent way.  You'll certainly never see anything like this today.  The monsters are dopey but plentiful, the sets are impressively otherworldly, and I liked the weird synthesized score.  All the denizens of Pellucidar look like docile flower children.  "The Land That Time Forgot" is probably the best of the Amicus Lost World series (though I have a fondness for "Warlords of Atlantis"), but this has its endearing merits.  And if there are subterranean princesses, they damn well should look just like the incredible Caroline Munro.
secef parc
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 05:03:06 AM »

I actually thought that for 1976 the creatures looked great. Sure, the mahars were unconvincing, as was the bird-lizard creature we first encounter, but the other creatures (The thing that looks like a cross between a dragon and a hippo that Muclure fights in the ring, the fire-breating toad, the rhino-men, killer plants and so on)looked cool.
EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Movies like this prove that as long as you have a sense of fun, crap-ass special effects do not matter. I would watch this movie and "Land/People That Time Forgot" anyday over any of the three "Jurassic Park" flicks.
Devon
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Each one of these films was excellent in itz own way.  I think that The Land That Time Forgot & At the Earths' Core were the best, but there were sequences in The People that Time Forgot that were incredible.  The creature effects in People, were the absolute worse in the series, but the volcanic chase was the highlight.  That was AWESOME!  Warlords of Atlantis was also very good and in some instances find this film superior to the three others.  However, this one was not produced by AMICUS (American International Pictures).  I would highly recommend each film for a lazy Saturday afternoon.  Remember, these films are matinee style movies and they play out exactly as that.  Clearly just plain old fashioned fun.
Zach
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Just watched this piece of crap a couple of days ago on , I think, Showtime.  Figures it would be here.  Isn't Peter Cushing one of the admirals on the Death Star?  Anyway, of all the languages spoken at the center of the earth it's good to know that it's english.  The one and only part worthy of a good laugh is the flame-throwing toad that falls to it's death and explodes like an Iraqui oil field.  What the hell does that thing run on?  Bad movie. Bad music. Doug McClure? No thanks.
snuffleupagus
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie is a lot of fun. The dinosaurs are not very convincing, but I thought that the "iron mole" was well done, and the sets were also very nice. The electronic score is cheesy, but that just adds to the fun. Caroline Muroe is awesome. Peter Cushing is awesome. Doug McClure doesn't do it for me, though. Cushing should have been the main hero. At any rate, this is a movie you should see at least once.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  At the Earth's Core « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.