Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:24:05 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The X from Outer Space « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The X from Outer Space  (Read 67214 times)
dws
« on: August 17, 2000, 10:19:14 AM »

Love those DeelyBobbers!
Scott T.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2000, 02:29:15 PM »

Can you believe this movie is actually stocked at a chain video store?  I rented this (and I don't know why) at Hollywood video a few summers ago.  This was the most boring movie I have ever seen.  I started yawning 8 minutes or so into the movie.  At first, I guessed that it would improve after the rubber monster showed up.  Not at all.  This is incredibly hard to watch, simply due to the intense feeling of listlessness through viewing the film.  If this film was translated into music, it would be the slowest piece of music ever written.  On the topic of music, though, the pure snazz involved in the soundtrack at least provided a few chuckles.  That wasn't any great equalizer, though.  Stay away at all costs.
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2000, 07:41:43 PM »

I loved THE X FROM OUTER SPACE. What can I say? When I love Japanese monster films with fantastic special effects that look more convincing that that crapy CGI junk that looks so fake a five year old cand do that stuff, THE X FROM OUTER SPACE is one of those films. Yes, it takes a while to get somewhere. But the effects were worth it. I was dissapointed that THE X FROM OUTER SPACE was issued directly to American Internationl Pictures-TV (AIP-TV) because the panning and scanning was just God awful. But still, it was a good film but the title really throws you off. The monster is called Gulila, it is not called X. It doesn't even look like an X. But when a film is made and needs distribution it has to have a catchy title. A four star movie right here, but it goes down to three due to the bad dubbing. But it goes right back to four due to the great specail effects. The Japanese are the masters at that knid of stuuf. The company that made this film which was Shockuku Films, Inc. also made the equally scary BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL (1968; aka GOKE) so seek that one out too.
Heinie Bowe
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Oh this one is a SCREAM--where do I begin? The Jeepchase from hell? Truck carrying wagonload of Goo doing 80 chased by the ravenous X-shuffleshuffleshuffle, HAND, shuffle shuffle shuffle HAND, etc.  

Or the great demo of low gravity on the moon-they take two guys in really BAD tinfoil space suits, stick them onto a trampoline hidden behind a 'crater' and have them boink up and down a few times...oh my god what a riot....

Then there are the little toy tanks that DON'T MOVE, the toy planes....the changing of scale-See X tip over Oil Tanker. See X whap at a plane that is THE SAME SIZE as the Tanker.

See the Pie from Mars flying round the ship. See the goo on the ship.

See the big Chicken track in the lab and dirt. See X up on the mountain.

See the X's fingers bend all the way back when it slaps the side of the mountain--gee ya think the stunt guy's fingers were in there? Nahhhhhh

Gotta love the Hugh Hefner(TM!) style spacestation on the Moon...the whacky line by the blonde at the end--'Guilala taught me how to love bravely-sniff! sniff!' etc.

Yeah really bogus, loopy, Kookoo, what have ya.

Gotta love it--*** outta ****, good fun if you like a movie that is SCREAMING for MsTK3 to be brought back...

Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2000, 04:56:50 PM »

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 is one of the worst shows ever made. And if THE X FROM OUTER SPACE played on that show, it is just an insult to the movie itself. MSTK3 really needs to be taken off the air. How dumb can that show get!
Megaloman
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love this movie, and have since I saw it many years ago.  The monster is so preposterous looking how can you not love it?  The movie isn't really very standard until Guilala shows up- it's more space opera than monster movie.
All you need is some controlling aliens and some ray fights and this movie would be perfect.
And I have to agree about the talking vacuum cleaner show!
Matt
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I have yet to see anyone else mention one of the most peculiar things about this movie... How many of you noticed that the Caucasions are speaking ENGLISH, and the Japanese are speaking Japanese, yet both are overdubbed? (How do you know your queue, when you can't understand the other person? Tone inflections, I suppose.) I've never seen this in any other movie.  But don't get me wrong, I loved this movie as a kid, and I love it now... not because of how good it is, but because how bad it is. Analyzing this enjoyable movie for imperfections, mistakes, and holes in time is as much fun as the go-go music that plays throughout. And by the way, F.A.F.C. stands for Fuji Astro-Flying Center... it's on the big sign above the Center door at the beginning of the movie. Every time I watch this movie, I pick out something new.  You will, too!  Enjoy!
Matt
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Speaking of dubbing, check THIS out...

While in the space ship en-route to Mars, Dr. Stein is complaining to Lisa about the food.  His dubbed dialoge says, "When meals become a trial, rather than a pleasure, it IS a crime. If Dr. Kiawana hadn't been taken ill, I would be back on Earth with my wife, and not eating garbage unfit for humans."

But what he is ACTUALLY saying is, "...If Dr. Kiawani hadn't been taken ill, I would be back on Earth with my wife, and dining on my fat-free food!"

No kidding... READ HIS LIPS! If the makers of this movie only knew that VCR's were on the horizon!

Later on the trip, Dr. Stein exclaims, "Looks like I'll be able to keep that date with my wife after all!"  Then Miyamoto replies (and we all KNOW about Miyamoto), "I'm looking forward to eating REAL food!"

Maybe this movie should be rated R for subliminal content.  What could be more fun than this?
Mecha-Godzilla
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2001, 07:51:22 PM »

I love that theme music.  So this is what you get when you hire a mariacha band to do the sound track for a japanese sci-fi flick.
Steven
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This is the worst film i have ever seen.It,s a lot worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space.The Monster is hideous looking,
the aircraft,tanks,and cars are all models.The acting is terrible and if anybody could think of a worse film than this i will be amazed.
Gary
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I can't believe you didn't mention the one thing about this movie that really gets annoying, mostly to me.  That one thing is the constant repeating "A-A-B-GAMMA,A-A-B-GAMMA".  GEEZ, after a while it can really drive you bonkers!  Otherwise, this flick is definitly for the hardcore 'man in the rubber suit' fans!
AIM: dragonlady220
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I love this movie. I have seen it four times. There is so much, like the stellar space pee, or the amazing scientists who said "from it's footprints we can clearly tell it's headed towards Tokoyo." See this. Multiple times. See the plane get stuck in the monsters costume. See the monster randomly turn into a glowing orange ball than dunk into a lake randomly. See an orange ball that the monster (Gulala) emits at a plane, and see it bounce off a flying airplane, THEN the plane explodes. See Gulala step on a tree, and see it bounce back up. See the awesome chase scene. See it four times.
This is the world's best movie.
Swamprat
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

They stole all these movies from me when I was a kid. I built nearly every Tamaya Model kit there was and blew up, torched, threw, and stomped each and everyone after a shelf life of maybe six months...little did I know the Japanese were watching...tricky little devils. Why do their 1960s soldiers look like doormen? I consider all these sushi burners more cartoons than films. I know! The anti-war anti-nuke message angle, but let's be honest, a good reptilian ass kicking and a burning plastic airplane is just the thing at three in the morning with the wife-girlfriend p**sed off and snoring away with all the sheets and pillows yanked to her side. And those Japanese girls in the jumpsuits and skirts...my God...I wish somebody would rerun the old Astroboy cartoons somewhere! If you've seen one of these, you've seen 'em all. With the occasional exception of Nick Adams or other Career-was-in-the-s**tter actors from the states...the people in these films are harder to tell apart than the monsters and the plots. When I was a kid I watched them all and loved them, now I watch them all and realize how much I loved being a kid. I wish they would stop making them, with computers and modern methods they loose the charm they once had. The tiny singing twins with the giant moth caused wet dreams when I was a kid...I still gap at them when I pass a cable station and they're standing there hugging each other...I think it's like eating powdered blowfish...I'm paralized. My wife and daughter just can't understand the facsination people have for these movies. My daughter is a rabid bad movie fan, but draws the line at the Nippon Lizard Fests. Maybe it's the jumpsuit thing...or the smell of burning plastic? Anyway...I find it pointless to buy or rent any of these movies, any weekend, even without cable, you'll find one on the tube anytime after midnight...and any single one is just as good as any other. Makes me wanna go out and pay 30 bucks for a Tamaya kit and sit in the yard with a can of lighter fluid and a magnifing glass on a sunny day. And to think, my mother used to worry about how much glue I inhaled while building all those kits over the years...
Mike Avery
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Wow, I've seen this movie like three times in the last month (it's playing on the stars channel) and every time that I pass that channel, it's on and then I get sucked into watching it, again.  

And anyone reading this page understands why.  Everyone's already listed all the great things about this flick.  My favorite continues to be the interim/theme music played throughout, CLASSIC.  Yes, yes, yes...watch it as many times as possible, your life could depend on it!
M
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Little known factoid: this is actually the final entry in the famed Japanese series of dozens of films, that began with the low-budget "The A from Outer Space". There were plans to shoot two more sequels - "The Y from Outer Space", and the concluding "The Final Fight - the Z from Outer Space" - but the producer died of apoplepsy.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The X from Outer Space « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.