Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:52:36 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster  (Read 68332 times)
Scaarge
« on: September 21, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »

This was always a fun film.  A bit of trivia:  "Hedorah," according to Michael Weldon's Psychotronic Encyclopaedia, means "pollution" in Japanese.

James Cash
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2000, 02:15:58 AM »

Now I love the Big G but OH how I hated the way they made godzilla out to be a big pet in the 70s movies!
In every one of Godzilla's 70s movies where there was some dumb little kid in it I would find myself praying that Godzilla would crush the little creep now as for Godzilla vs the Smog Monster there was one thing that made me sick(beside that damn kid)Godzilla flying on his own power!
Oh give me a brake but other then that a fair film!
Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2000, 11:26:21 AM »

Just one thing that crossed my mind.  When the Big G gets knocked into the pit and Hedorah stands there and dumps all that thick black mud on him, it runs out from the monster's bottom side.  I am beginning to think that this is tantamount to Hedorah taking a dump on Godzilla.  My son agreed.  Whenever we get to this part he points to the screen and yells "The Pod's going black peep-pee on Godzilla!  Yech!"
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2000, 07:43:20 AM »

Yes, the "hedora=pollution" myth is prevelant (because of the overly-polite dubbed dialog in the movie) but wrong--sort of. In fact, the Japanese word "hedo" means vomit or puke, and the standard 'monster-suffix' "ra" is added by the kid. How's THAT for gross? I've never seen any movie so devoted to yuck.
Poo Bah
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2000, 12:33:24 PM »

One of the all time goofiest movies ever made, and a sterling example of what has made the Big G a laughing stock: you have the somewhat serious scenes where the Hedorah is spewing gaseous sulfuric acid over cities, but that's balanced out by the bizarre hippie video and the insane scenes of Godzilla figuring out that "action-reaction' thing.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2000, 05:06:12 PM »

Though credited to be the worst in the Godzilla series (the worst credited ones were also GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND and GODZILLA VS. MEGALON), GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER is actually a good film in a fun way. Let's be honest, a film does not have to be straight forward all the time. The destruction of Japan is very limited and the fight sequences are very slow, but it is still entertaining. The scene in which Godzilla was flying was very impressive and was amusing as well. Distributed by American International Pictures (AIP), this film was originally available for video by Orion Pictures (a subsidiary to AIP). But it is now missing and has not been out since. I prey it will be issued in it's original Widescreen Letterbox because the panned-and-scanned Orion print is just horrible. The dubbing was also convincing too.
Megaloman
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is a fun fun movie.  People who whine about how Godzilla was turned into a super hero in the 70s obviously weren't kids then, or they would love all of these movies.
This is also one of the more interestingly directed Godzilla films.  While I wouldn't call Banno a "brilliant" director, he sure made a visually appealing film.
"Save the Earth", indeed.
And now there is the widescreen version that Sci-Fis shows, which truly proves there is good dubbing and bad dubbing.
The out of print home video may be pan and scan, but the dubbing is very nice.
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Here is some interesting trivia for Godzilla fans: When GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER was in production the producer Tomoyuki Tanaka was in the hospital. Tanaka left the whole film for director Yoshimitsu Banno to finish on his own. When Tanaka was released from the hospital the film was finished. Tanaka reviewed the film and said to Banno, "You ruined the Godzilla series!" GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER was Banno's first and only film.
Yuri Rentfro
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2000, 12:29:31 PM »

This movie is screwey!!! Tanaka was obviously not present during this one.
Bats
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

And the Medved brothers' special award of a year's supply of LSD for those creative geniuses in the Japanese film industry (see The Fifty Worst Films Of All Time) was put to good use, I see.

That final fight goes on and on and on, doesn't it?  And what exactly were those suspicious spherical objects Godzilla pulled out of Hedorah's stamped and flattened carcass at the end?  It makes me wince just thinking about it...
Dave
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I loved the part at the end where Godzilla rips all the guts out of the Smog Monster and then throws it all over the place...!  Then he performs a free abortion by ripping out it's eggs and smashing them!  LOL!  Enjoyable, but goofy movie.  :-)

Cham
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

A masterpiece of crap. One of my fave G flicks (hell, I love em all). THis one's the cheesiest with the worst enemy. I give it a 4.5/5
Son of a Hedorah
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Still my favorite movie of all time.  Yes this just goes to prove once again you should NOT use drugs while filming a movie!  ....I still try to watch this baby once a week if possible.   This one ranks up there with "Plan 9 from Outerspace".  Classic Cheese!
Georgiann
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Sorry, but I just can't take the 70s movies where Godzilla is a cute little defender of Japan.  Godzilla, if not outright evil, is an awesome, perhaps immortal, force of nature.  He does NOT fly, jump, drop-kick, dance, roll his big puppy eyes, clap his hands or play with kids!  Aarrrgghhh!
Green Hornet
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this thing while in the Air Force in the 70s. It was then that I came to the conclusion that Japan still blaimed us for WWII. I still remember another airman saying to the screen (When 'Big G' took off while COMEDY music played) "You have got to be kiddin' me!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.