Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:29:56 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dawn of the Dead « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Dawn of the Dead  (Read 91783 times)
Anonymous
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

For those who are familiar with the Colt AR-15, look carefully at their weapon just after they landed their helicopter for refueling.  The weapon they're using is a .22 caliber look-alike!  You can tell this, because when they remove the magazine it's sized to hold .22 long rifle ammunition!  It actually fits into a false, but true sized magazine!
Little Jimmy
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love this movie.  I first saw it when I was 15.  I random picked it out of my stepdad's movie collection.  It looked stupid on the cover, but it turned out to be my absolute favorite.  It's funny and an interesting concept.  I have this fantasy now, I kind of wish the world could be like that.  I could just hang out in shopping malls and blow zombies heads off.  Just got to watch out for those damn motorcycle gangs!!!      I just saw a preview on TV for a new Dawn of the Dead.  looks like the they move a little too fast but thats still awesom!  
Doug Gibson
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

No Josh, you are not alone.  When I was a kid and heard that Romero was making a sequel, I ordered the hardcover of the book version as well as a posterbook.  But I only saw the film several years ago.  I suspended my disbelief and bought the video.  The direction, the acting, the blue skin, the bad effects (helicopter zombie with the square head), the bad music, everything was bad!  But its a Romero film, so I convinced myself to watch it zillions of times. Go check out 'The Ring'.  The zombie girl in that is a clear homage to NOTLD. Dawn was the cause of slow zombies; the new wave of 'quick' ghouls is also a return to NOTLD...the real one. I am pretty sure the remake of Dawn is going to be a worthy successor.  And for all the (alleged)faults of 'Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things', it influenced 'Thriller' and the deadraising scene in CSPWDT is without equal in film as true horror. So be it.
Rebooto
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Oh God, this movie IS a torture!!
...Hope the new Version is better...
Allen
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love the nurse zombie, who's dancing around. And the bald one with the glasses who likes like the Dalhi Llama. Great flick! 5 out of 5 I'd say.
R.P.GEMMELL
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

A classic zombie film of all time as well as a social satire. The film also focuses on the nature of the human condition, greed and America at war as well as the graphic zombie terror. It is an accurate view of a world gone mad, a world deluged with zombies, a world where the only hideout is a shopping mall where people can live out their dreams and not give a toss about the chaotic world outside. George A. Romero undersands the social aspects in horror very well as it is obviously depicted in a way that hasn't been equalled since. I have the totally uncut 140 minute version in the 'Trilogy Of The Dead' boxset which includes 'Night Of The Living Dead'(1968) and 'Day Of The Dead'(1985) as well as a bonus feature disc which has 2 documentaries (available from Anchor Bay in the UK).

NOTE: Do not see the 2004 version as it is crammed with CGI effects and guess what the zombies even run and it completely loses the touch and sensation of the 1978 version.

If you do want to see the new version then go ahead but you will see that there is truth in what I have just said after you have seen the new version.

MY RATING: 1978 VERSION: 10/10
           2004 VERSION: 4/10 (Because Georgie boy took  part in this - writing credits)

Eyebiter
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2005, 12:21:09 AM »

If your a fan of George Romero zombie movies, check out The Homepage of the Dead website at www.homepageofthedead.com
Felicity
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I’m going to go against popular opinion here and admit that I didn’t like this movie.  I found it incredibly boring.  I kept waiting for the real movie to start, but it never did; they just kept going on this rambling, random tangent about this handful of people and their trek across the zombie-filled country.  I didn’t feel any attachment to the characters, and especially not to their tiresome, formulaic personal problems.  Much of the movie was set in cities and of course in that mall, and yet it still violated my “no post apocalyptic wasteland” rule--with the entire world turned into a wasteland overrun by zombies, without a larger civilized world outside that mall, what was the point of caring about anything?

It might have helped if someone had told me beforehand that it was a sequel.  I kept waiting for them to get to the part where they explain what’s going on, how this zombie business all got started--something that should have happened near the beginning, but didn’t.  It was the exact reverse of my experience of watching Army of Darkness--nobody told me it was Evil Dead III until after I saw it, so I thought it was a relatively complete stand-alone movie.  I wondered why the beginning of it had a summarized quality, like reading the description of the premise on the back of the box for a video game, but the point is that I understood what the hell was going on and didn’t feel that the characters’ lives were pointless.
NinjaMidget
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2005, 07:41:45 PM »

I loved how this movie was so not scary but so good. I like when the zombies went ice skating
jmsynth
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

There is little I can add about "Dawn", but I'd like to say "Day of the Dead" is very underated, it's the most ambitious of the films and the "evolving zombies" make the film fascinating.
Crazed Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

As a fan of zombie movies I say this is one of the best, if not the best. Romero invented the genre so naturally his (zombie)films are the best. Humor, adventure, zombie carnage, and TOM SAVINI! You can't go wrong with George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead!!
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007, 07:24:53 AM »

Love it, it's a true classic that horror fans or zombie fans in general should watch.
Mike A.
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 06:57:54 AM »

Dawn of the Dead '78 was so damned good, I consider it perhaps in my top five of all movies ever made.  Although, I cannot watch it any further because it really got me post necrophobic when I saw it several times during dark winter months and had to walk home after work at 11 pm, (quite often living people resemble zombies at a fair dstance), it remains one of best flicks ever!  Mystery items that might shed some light on certain questions was as follows for me:  1.)  Did Hell reallly get that full?  What about the good people going to Heaven (there just might be some individuals)?   2.)  Could zombies really feel, or think, perhaps both?  Would we not have actually left the body and lived in our old shells, trapped by death, but not actually 'resurrected'.  In other words, could we be experiencing something that would be like living in a generic nightmare, in search of living human flesh?  If so, would wwe see in color or black and white?  3.)  What would their aveage and range in I.Q. be in respect to their condition?  If they were 'pure motorized instinct', as a scientific doctor and government advisor called the zombies, would they not need a very minimum of ten I. Q, points simpy to move and bite. 4.)   Were some zombies smarter than others, such as is the case amongst the living?  The Hare Krinshna that chased the girl upstairs in the mall, he figured out that Steve 'Fly Boy' was trying to get through some doors in the hallway.  Did he simply guess when he deviated from the other zombies, unaware or thinking something else?  5.)  A grisly thought came up at a party once.  What if a woman had a stillborn fetus?  Could it hideously enough start attacking from inside the uterus, vaginia, or even the doctors and nurses, that might be there during delivery?  6.)  Off the far side!  Are they capable, or even motivate, to rape?  Is it possible that one of the walking dead, being a sex offender in living life, be potentially a threat in that regard?  If so, wouldn't the organs invovled basically fall off before or during such a horrific action?  7.)  Why don't the living fighting these things use a flame thrower, or, malatov cocktails (flammable glass bottle bombs)?  They burn quickly and effectively, no longer concerned about attacking.  8.)  How could they sneak up on a person since rotting flesh and dead bodies give off putrid odors?  If someone had a good sense of smell tell if one is nearby, regardless of visibility?  There were scences that cry out for some logic, or the potential of such.  A.)  Did the people at the television station make it out, or were they overrun by the zombies?  B.)  Why was it a legal consideration regarding the taking of the helicopter and who was around to enforce that, if available to do so?  C.)  Did it ever occur to the band of suvivors in the mall that pouring hot burning oil over the top sides of the building work in at least, slowing down the advancing zombies below?  (It worked on armies besieging a castle in the Dark and Middle Ages.  Why not modern day zombies)?
D.)  Why didn't the roving motorcycle gang realize the inevitable outcome as a result of breaching the mall and being trapped inside the mall's interior?  Many things, such as the psychotic, rascist S.W.A.T. cop, Wille.  Why did he hate othe races, especially Martinez, the leader of the fortified project building filled with the undead (yet supervised and contained inside)?  Any answers or additional arguments are welcomed.  Together.  I am confident that we can find the answers, at least not most of them. 
drunkenbubba
New Visitor

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:36 PM »

Dawn of the Dead '78 was so damned good, I consider it perhaps in my top five of all movies ever made.  Although, I cannot watch it any further because it really got me post necrophobic when I saw it several times during dark winter months and had to walk home after work at 11 pm, (quite often living people resemble zombies at a fair dstance), it remains one of best flicks ever!  Mystery items that might shed some light on certain questions was as follows for me:  1.)  Did Hell reallly get that full?  What about the good people going to Heaven (there just might be some individuals)?   2.)  Could zombies really feel, or think, perhaps both?  Would we not have actually left the body and lived in our old shells, trapped by death, but not actually 'resurrected'.  In other words, could we be experiencing something that would be like living in a generic nightmare, in search of living human flesh?  If so, would wwe see in color or black and white?  3.)  What would their aveage and range in I.Q. be in respect to their condition?  If they were 'pure motorized instinct', as a scientific doctor and government advisor called the zombies, would they not need a very minimum of ten I. Q, points simpy to move and bite. 4.)   Were some zombies smarter than others, such as is the case amongst the living?  The Hare Krinshna that chased the girl upstairs in the mall, he figured out that Steve 'Fly Boy' was trying to get through some doors in the hallway.  Did he simply guess when he deviated from the other zombies, unaware or thinking something else?  5.)  A grisly thought came up at a party once.  What if a woman had a stillborn fetus?  Could it hideously enough start attacking from inside the uterus, vaginia, or even the doctors and nurses, that might be there during delivery?  6.)  Off the far side!  Are they capable, or even motivate, to rape?  Is it possible that one of the walking dead, being a sex offender in living life, be potentially a threat in that regard?  If so, wouldn't the organs invovled basically fall off before or during such a horrific action?  7.)  Why don't the living fighting these things use a flame thrower, or, malatov cocktails (flammable glass bottle bombs)?  They burn quickly and effectively, no longer concerned about attacking.  8.)  How could they sneak up on a person since rotting flesh and dead bodies give off putrid odors?  If someone had a good sense of smell tell if one is nearby, regardless of visibility?  There were scences that cry out for some logic, or the potential of such.  A.)  Did the people at the television station make it out, or were they overrun by the zombies?  B.)  Why was it a legal consideration regarding the taking of the helicopter and who was around to enforce that, if available to do so?  C.)  Did it ever occur to the band of suvivors in the mall that pouring hot burning oil over the top sides of the building work in at least, slowing down the advancing zombies below?  (It worked on armies besieging a castle in the Dark and Middle Ages.  Why not modern day zombies)?
D.)  Why didn't the roving motorcycle gang realize the inevitable outcome as a result of breaching the mall and being trapped inside the mall's interior?  Many things, such as the psychotic, rascist S.W.A.T. cop, Wille.  Why did he hate othe races, especially Martinez, the leader of the fortified project building filled with the undead (yet supervised and contained inside)?  Any answers or additional arguments are welcomed.  Together.  I am confident that we can find the answers, at least not most of them. 
1) Hell wasn't full it was just a metaphor that Peter talked about. Good people still went to Heaven I am sure.
2) Nope. The doctor with the deep voice on the tv made it pretty clear, that they were just slow moving killing machines
3) Zero - they're dead.
4) No. The Hare Krishna and a few others were just following motorized instinct, and got lucky. Plus Romero needed some more tension in the film and it worked.
5) Maybe - providing it was born with teeth and was strong enough to do anything. I'd figure a doctor or nurse with a strong Hoover attachment could fix that problem fairly quick however.
6) I really hope not.
7) Well I am sure in parts of the country they did. When the world falls apart your left to use what you have. Can you make or gain access to a flame thrower. Ever made a molotov? They are only as good as your throwing range is. Your better off with your deer gun picking them off before they get close.
8) Most zombie movies have lapses of logic in them. Still I have no clue how a rotten zombie can sneak up on someone in an enclosed place either. Unless the smell of the rotting dead has permeated the outside world and you no longer notice.
9) I think they were either overrun or lost power. The broadcasts stopped with no explanation
10) Who's going to stop them? Zombies generally don't fly helicopters and the military already has its hands full - it was also stated that they had WGON ID so they didnt technically steal it.
11) Ok where will they get the oil? How will they boil it? How will they carry it from the place they boiled it to the roof? Whats the point, boiling oil doesnt do anything to zombies but make them crispy. Better off saving it for making chicken fried steak.
12) Because they were drunken drug addled Outlaws or 1%'s looking to plunder the mall. They didn't care about keeping the mall just plundering what was inside of it then moving on. They had been surviving on the road by looting and killing both zombies and survivors alike most likely and this was just another day for them.
13) Willie was a racist who was or became unbalanced due to the events unfolding around him. His feelings towards African Americans and Hispanics just came to the surface because of the pressure.

Now my turn, great review, as I type the European Cut of Dawn of the Dead (my preferred version more action less hokiness ) is playing. DOTD is probably in my top five all time favorite horror movies, and I'm kind of shocked that so many don't like it here. You cant live on Hostel, The Devils Rejects, or Saw movies forever people. Sometimes you have to look a little deeper and sit through the "dead" spots in the movie. I'm not going to do any lectures about consumerism or anything in regards to this movie since its been done to death, but there are some great messages about our society (non consumerism) that are within this movie. Its no wonder people have written their  doctrinal thesis's on this one.       
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:40:14 PM by drunkenbubba » Logged
Yc
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »

C'mon, dawn of the dead is one of the best horror movies of all time. You gotta be either really stupid or really slow to think such a smart movie is bad.Saying this is bad is confessing to be the just like the zombies in the movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dawn of the Dead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.