Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:28 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Fly « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Fly  (Read 56081 times)
Zach
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I think "The Fly" is an excellent movie. With Vincent price, Herbert Marshall, And Al (David) Hedison, It makes the story come to life. Hedison makes a great scientist! And the Andre/fly looks cool!
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Next to Disney's "Bambi," this is one of the first films I remember seeing in a movie theater. And it scared me so bad, when Helene (Patricia Owens) pulled the black cloth off of Andre's (Al "Now known as David" Hedison's) head, that I was immediatedly down on the theater floor, down behind the seats, down among my spilled jujubes. Now, not so scary, just unintentionally funny. "Help me! Help me!" So, well known, that those words are parodied in Disney's "The Emperor's New Groove."  Maybe the actors in that scene knew something, we in the audience did not know. When you watch the scene, you will notice that Francois (Vincent Price) and
Inspector Charais (Herbert Marshall) are not looking at each
other, but are--instead--looking away from each other. They could not look at each other and shoot that scene. If they did, one or both would break into laughter. Enjoy
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

There are a lot of great comments I could make about this, the original FLY. There was no scenes of gore whatsoever, which unfortunately made the 1986 FLY, a repulsively horrific film. My most vivid recollections of this movie, was where Patricia Owens screams  at the sight of Andre(her husband)with the fly's head, and the many images through his now compound eyes of her screaming. Vincent price was as magnificent as ever in the role of Francois. The other scene, I really remember, was the end, where the fly, with the head of Andre shrieks "HELP MEE". A fantstic sci-fi epic, as it was meant to be.
David Fullam
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

It would be difficult to describe just how queasy the climax of this film is to someone who has never seen it. The bit with the fly man wailing away in the spider's web is something that sticks with you for a very long time and puts your stomach in knots. It's something Hollywood dosen't have the guts to attempt anymore.
MechaGodzilla
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

(1) Sacred Life

I just love the audio clip of reguarding "cat atoms."  He just has to say "It would be funny if life wasn't so sacred."  Could not stop laughing for a few minutes.

(2) Discovery Channel

The clip of the fly being eaten by the spider was espcially queasy to me.  They had a segment on the discovery channel about spiders.  You know, how they live, hunt and EAT!  Had I not seen this, I would have laughed at this one too.
Mighty Atomic Pikachu
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Not a lot of people realize this, but "The Fly" was based on a short story of the same name by George Langelaan. Some of the visuals are different (the man-headed fly is squished with a rock instead of being eaten) but everything is basically the same.
Chirs K.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This film literaly scared the crap out of me when I rist saw it on video when I was 10 years old. THE FLY still scares me to this day and whenever I watch it I still get the shivers down my spine. The sequence that really put me over was the fly with the human head caught in the spider web. Because of that scene, I am now OFFICALY AFRAID OF SPIDERS. I can't stand spiders at all and whenever I see one I think of THE FLY. Too scary! I was also suprised that this was based on a story by George Langelaan that was published in Playboy! But what really hits me is that the script was writen by none other than James Clavel! So that basicaly tells you that the script is in fine form once when you watch it. I don't consider THE FLY to be a funny movie at all. It is very serious and should not even be atempted as a humorus movie. Though Vincent Price and Herbert Marshall did not take this film very seriously, if they were alive to this day and saw how this film is being praised as an excelent example of good science fiction then they would have doubted their original thoughts on this film. David Cronenberg's 1988 remake is watchable as well, but I would rather watch the original instead. Too bad THE FLY is not available on video in it's original CinemaScope widescreen because the panned and scanned video copies are just terrible.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Saw "The Fly" again recently. As good as ever. Did notice one thing, I had not noticed before. You think people who lived in Montreal, Canada, where French is the predominant language, and who had French names, would speak with French accents. Not so. They spoke with American, English, French, Swedish, and who knows what else accents. Enjoy. Now on to "The Angry Red Planet."
PauloCarvalho
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Every film that shows an insect's viewpoint represents it as multi-lens eyes.  That's wrong!!!  Insects have much simplier eyes than us, not more complex.  Insects simply don't have enough brain to handle dozens of complex multi-colored images, even our brain can handle only two.  Insects see the world like a very low resolution image or mosaic.  Open your picture in your favorite graphics software, shrink it to a 32 x 32 image (back-up it first :-)), zoom it by 16 times and you'll see how an insect really sees you!

Thank you guys, this site is great, very funny and a time travel back to the movies wich I used to watch when I was a kid!

:)
Dan
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2001, 07:06:48 AM »

Read the short story a few years back. The ending is ironic as opposed to creepy. Random thought: What if the fly with the human head just achieved sentience at the moment before the spider nailed him ? The last bit this film has given deep id nightmares about spiders since I was a kid. That voice just creeps me out more than the visuals.
lostmissy
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

having seen the remake(don't waste your time) a friend and I rented this movie just to see if the original was better. OMG this movie gave me nightmares for weeks! that scene would replay and replay in my mind..and that little voice!!! It gives me a chill even now while I typing this..this is a true horror movie. I'm not sure that I would or could watch it again . This is one intense flick.
Josie
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Cynical conversation my friends and I had while watching this movie... you know you're part of the Music Video Generation when:

CYDNIE: "Enough with the happy domestic stuff already!  WE WANT FLIES!"
ME: "It's called 'character development.'  They don't do that in movies anymore."
BOB: "These 'characters' you speak of... what are they?"
ME: "I think it's a fancy word for 'people in a story.'"
BOB: "Sto-ree... what's that?  Do they blow it up partway through?"
ME: "Cyd, you're closer, hit him for me."

Yes, this post was utterly pointless.
Mike
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2003, 04:38:47 PM »

What a load of rubbish!  The end bit where yeur man ends up in a web was more of a comedy than horror!!!! And anyway how long was he in the web before the spider got him?  It was certainly taking its time about it. In nature if a fly ends up in a web, the spider is on it wraps it in silk in two seconds flat no questions asked.  It was as if the spider was being a sadist, not scary because its not natural!!!
grottyschlub
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

A lot of fun and the perfect first horror films for kids over eight or so--very little gore as such, good acting, very pretty photography, and the acting isn't bad, either. The creepiest things, in fact, are the disembodied "meow" of the cat and the fly's high-pitched screeches for help--people giggle now, but there's something genuinely creepy about it.
Carl Leta
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I've loved this movie, ever since I was a little tyke, and I still enjoy it today! I know it's not "Gone With The Wind", but, it has a certain appeal. Of course, being a composer of film/video productions, the best thing about the movie, for me, is it's wonderful music score by Paul Sawtell, and Bert Shefter. Then again, it's hard to top the pivotal moment in the film when Helene sees her poor Andre with the fly head, and almost screams hers off! Great fun!!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Fly « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.