Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:36 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Mans Best Friend « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mans Best Friend  (Read 26820 times)
Steve
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Actually, I was let down by the movie because I remember when it first came out, the box made it look like the dog was a "Terminator-dog". I was hoping for a robotic killer dog, but only a genetically modified dog. sigh.
Cham
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movie is not worth five slime-drops. I'd give it two. Its entertaining and has some good scenes, the cat-eating scene being the best, but its no b-classic. Well, it does have Lance Henricksen. But I don't care: 2/5

Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I remember Jabootu.com using this movie as a reference point for the definition of the Designated Hero Rule (that the hero can do no wrong simply because he or she is the hero, not for any particular heroic action or behavior).  Ally Sheedy's character is supposed to be the hero because she releases a VERY DANGEROUS animal from its medical experimentation lab.  Well all the death and violence that happens after this is Sheedy's characters fault, but we are supposed to root for this nitwit because she is the 'hero'.  Hell I was rooting for Henricksen from the get go and felt he was the true hero of the movie.  If they had gone with a Frankenstein tracking his creation down for the good of humanity slant then perhaps this movie would have been far better than it currently is (whihc isn't very, 2 slimes in my book).  I also felt it suffered too much from the kampy komedy contagion of the late 80's and early 90's (every horror movie had far too much funny business in it for my tastes).  I wanted a far nastier beast than what was found here.  Nonetheless, because of all the recent dog attack storeis, this movie (as well as Cujo) has been on my mind recently and I know I'm going to rent it for a good laugh sometime within the next few months.

Way to go Max, good doggy!
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I've seen this on TBS about hundred times. Pretty stupid. Pretty cool. Didn't they keep making up new powers for the dog as the movie went on?
SeaBreeze
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Mans Best Friend sure beats the heck out of Cujo. I loved it!! they sure picked the right dog, an the right breed to go with.

I give Mans Best Friend 4 our of 5 slime drops.
Money
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 06:50:57 PM »

If I ever see this movie I will skip the part when Max eats the poor cat. But I thout is was funny when the gye tawks about the Parrot Then the parrot says  Rahhh! Screw you!.
Daniel
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Hillarious! This is the funniest bad movie I've ever seen in my life. I saw this edited on the USA and I saw the comedy movie Friday. This movie was shown in Friday, too. In Friday, this guy has to get his dad the TV Guide while he's watching Man's Best Friend! He's making fun of the scene when the mailman shoots Max with water gun and both movies are really funny. Man's Best Friend was almost funnier than Friday, in my honest opinion. I was at my grandparents house while watching this. Me and grandfather was laughing hard on the scene when Max got mad and killed that parrot. I almost p**sed my pants while watching this scene. I might rent it so I can see it unedited. You should go watch it with your friends on some night because this movie hillarious! Though, I wouldn't give it 5 drops. I'd give it 3 instead even though it's a entertaining film. Get off your computer seat and rent it. NOW!!!!
ivey
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2003, 09:57:10 PM »

Loved the movie!  I wish I had a dog like that.  Ha Ha Ha.  The breed of dog they used was beautiful.  I loved the part when Max p**sed on Perrys face.  Spike is so cute.
Bruno
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 06:56:32 AM »

I´ve seen this movie in Portugal and is just another scary movie about a killer dog, that´s all! Max, the tibetan mastiff is just lovelly!!!!
Midare
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

'Man's Best Friend,' is a hillarious, suspenseful, and scifi-horror film. The movie had more than one trait of character, which made this movie the way it is. It was wise to choose a Tibetan Mastiff to play this killer dog.  

The comedy really leveled with the movie. I think the comedy actually reflected much of Max's personality and how he can surprise people by displays much of his intellect.  Examples, were probably when Max attacked the paper boy, for hitting him and calling him a 'pooch.' The second was when he helped the mechanic fix Perry's truck. I thought it was hillarious seeing Perry's face, when Max knew what tool the mechanic needed for the breaks.

It was suspenseful because when Lori unleashed Max, she had no knowledge who Max was. Why he was placed in a cage; what was the purpose? When Dr. Jarret revealed Max's behavioral problems; it was without a doubt that Max did have a nasty temper. When the mailman was near the house and provoked Max, he got upset. Second, was the time Max was provoked, Perry had tried to kill Max by poisoning him. Last, was probably the scene when Lori was taken by Dr. Jarret. Apparently, Max was at the peak of anger when Lori was taken away from him.

The best aspects of this film was the scifi and horror going all around. Max appeared to be like a normal dog, however what was within his DNA really can give the chills. A Dog with different animal DNA within his genetic sequence can make someone wonder 'is my dog a killer? Does he have intelligence similar to a human? Can he climb a tree like a Jaguar?' One of the best scenes in the film that really displayed Max's genetic abilities was when he was in the garage with those two animal patrol officers. Max had morphed his body to reflect his surroudings like a chameleon. Max's intelligence was also very chilling, becuase whatever you say, he will know. And if he knows he will predict what you do. Say for instance the dude who had given him the bad eye-he had it coming.

It was a wise and perfect idea to use a Tibetan Mastiff to play the enhanced genetic dog. Max is considered to be a highly protective dog, and he is territorial. Besides that he's also intelligent. A Tibetan Mastiff matches these traits. Find a dog with a the same sort of character you have a perfect killer dog named Max.(I'm kind of surprised they didn't use a Rottweiler. They're scary.)

All in all, 'Man's Best Friend,' was pretty good. I'm sure I know why it was given five blobs. It was a good movie after all.

Damn, I wrote too much. Game Over. Sayonara.  
sarah
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »

so what do i think about this movie? well i think that this movie is a classic and i love all the scenes but two things that i cant figure out would be what kidn of dog is that because max looks like a rottie but hes too furry and i dont know maybe he a rot&new foundland mix; and two that the ending of this movie leads you on so is thre a second? i've heard from various people that there is a second movie but i have yet to find it so if anyone out there can help me just give me a email telling me where to find this movie k thanksss :D

sincerly sarrah.
:)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »

so what do i think about this movie? well i think that this movie is a classic and i love all the scenes but two things that i cant figure out would be what kidn of dog is that because max looks like a rottie but hes too furry and i dont know maybe he a rot&new foundland mix; and two that the ending of this movie leads you on so is thre a second? i've heard from various people that there is a second movie but i have yet to find it so if anyone out there can help me just give me a email telling me where to find this movie k thanksss :D

Max is a Tibetan Mastiff.

The ending does set up for a sequel, but I know of no such film and the IMDb page does not list any sequel for the film.

If you are in the United States, the film is currently available on DVD.  There is an Amazon.com link at the  top of the review.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 07:31:55 AM »

I can't believe that a film about a killer dog would have Puppy Love as a theme song!  Buggedout TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Mans Best Friend « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.