Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:50:12 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Battle Beyond the Stars « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Battle Beyond the Stars  (Read 65725 times)
Rusty
« on: April 07, 2003, 06:15:52 PM »

As a fan of Kurosawa, and even of The Magnificent Seven, this film sickens me (not to mention boring me to tears) and I would urge even lovers of pitifully bad films to avoid it like the plague. Also, it is unpleasant seeing heroes such as the boys Peppard, Vaughn and Saxon making complete monkeys of themselves.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I first saw this film in 1980 at a theater near Tacoma, Washington. At the time I saw it, I did not think much of it. But, like "Flash Gordon," like "Lair of the White Worm,"
over the years, I have reevaluated my opinion. And it is probably not as bad as I first thought. Certainly, for a film that cost only $2M to make, the action sequences are quite good. And how can one dislike a film, where the futuristic mercenaries are played by Sybil Danning, George Peppard, Robert Vaughn, and Morgan Woodward. One more comment. Remember the wedding . . . the one that was interrupted by the kidnapping. That marriage was between two women. Who ever had that idea was ahead of his time or her time. Enjoy
Brandi
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Star Wars actually adapted/borrowed from Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress".

The Magnificent Seven is a western version of Seven Samurai, though.
Andrew
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Of note, there is a website dedicated to this film (with some neat background information) here:
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/GEO_LIT/index.html">http://members.tripod.com/GEO_LIT/index.html</A>

Andrew
David Fullam
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Battle is indeed a space age remake of "Seven Samurai," but it also owes a great debt to the first remake of that great film, "The Magnificent Seven," one of the most famous Westerns of all time. In fact, if memory serves, Robert Vaughn is playing practically the same character in both films.
Chuck
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ah, fond memories of this flick. I was working at the Riverview Drive-In Theater in Pasco, Washington the summer that this came out. It was the feature the first night I worked as a projectionist.

Bonnie on the left, Clyde on the right. Make sure you have enough carbon for the arc light. Thread the reel, light the stick, watch for the blobs up there on the right. When you see the first, start the other projector. When you see the second, throw the knob. Repeat until the show's over.

You never do forget your first...
son of godzilla
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This one ranks up there at the top of the post star wars films.  You know the films I'm talking about. The movie industry new people would go see just about anything with a Sci-fi theme. Not caring how bad it was. Woa! this one was bad. Hysterical AND bad.  I always got a kick on how the Viking Queen would drone on about all the perverse x-rated things she wanted to do with John Boy.  Was George Peppard that desparate for work?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I like the movie when I first when it came on NBC. The only part I didn't really like is that they killed off Sybil Danning the viking queen.
Sean
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

A big fat thank you for posting this, I was starting to think I was the only person on Earth who knew of this movie, that wasn't in it! I had a copy taped off cable in the 80's, but recently bought a mint copy off Ebay ($10.00 at most, I think.) I first saw this movie when I was 5 and still watch it every few months, I really enjoy this movie.

BTW, the "patented pig call" is "LAZUULIIIIIIIII" and the meaning is indicated in an exchange between Sador and Caymen, as follows:

"I am Caymen, of the Lambda Zone. Turn around, you old degenerate, and we'll bump heads!"
"Of what form are you, Caymen of the Lambda Zone?"
"I am of the Lazuli form."
"The Lazuli? I had thought I'd had the pleasure of making them extinct. An oversight I shall soon rectify."

So Caymen is using his species' name as a battle-cry.
Richard Of Portland
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2001, 12:43:30 PM »

The film was made during the time when some were trying to cash in on the Star Wars hype. For me it is one of the worst movies I have seen. Especially awful is the dub dialogue. Something was lost during the translation from Italian to English.  
Randy
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Man I hate it when a movie forces characters on you and expaects you to accept them with absolutly no development.
This movie should have been over in fifteen minutes.
By the way on the seven samurai, does anyone remember the name of a movie that came out about the same time as this one, starred Vic Morrow and Sonny Chiba and had some magic nuts in it. It was a Japanese ripoff of Star Wars and had really busy, busy, sets and costumes.
Jeremy
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ah...loved the subtle Ender's Game reference...
Taika-Kim
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this sometime in the 80s when I was in the best age for all kinds of adventure/scifi/whatever movies (about 8-10 maybe?) and liked this immensely. In fact I think the only scifi movie I liked more back then was "The Last Starfighter".

IIRC I cried when the nestors died, I liked them so much. Maybe their super intelligent pacifism and harmonous model of living appealed to me. (happenes later: I go to prison for refusing to go to army and come a devout enviroment/human rights activist. figures?)

And the spaceship the hero flies is soooo groovy! And yes, I was a bit surprised too to find out that all those funky plasma balls are apparently leftover control devices from interstellar star battle cruisers :)
Swamprat
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Just how many times can Seven Samurai be done? The movie is watchable if you're familiar with the formula. Confusing if you're not. Richard Thomas is amusing...John Boy goes Galactic...still handicapped with his hillbilly code of ethics and farmboy innocence. But that's sure one nasty painted lady of a space cruiser he hooks up with. NASTY! The ships the best character in the whole film. The best lines, the quickest wit, the meanest breasts. George Peppard's space trucker-cowboy-smuggler was the lamest. It gives away the films age...it was made during the Good 'ol Boy movie craze that Burt Reynolds Movies triggered in the mid seventies. I AM a Good 'ol Boy...those movies make me cringe. Robert Vaughn is as creepy as ever. The Amazon Warrior b***h is a typical Sybil Danning type Amazon Warrior b***h...says little, does less. Nestor and the other odds and ends are just filler for the attack scenes. It was fun seeing Judy Robinson again (Marta Kristen)...I'm an old Lost in Space fan. She does pain relivier comercials now...ain't it sad? Does anyone remember her playing the mermaid in Beach Blanket Bingo back in 1965? John Saxon has always been laughable in mean bastard roles...no matter how you paint him up he just doesn't scare me. He always comes across as being more slimey than dangerous. This movie is one of the better Seven Samurai-Star Wars ripoffs that were made at the time. There were several, everything from "B" grade on down. I remember the one with Vic Morrow also, can't remember the name but the production values were less than Battlestar Galactica grade. This little movie was an old school shot at a classic "B" movie...no more, no less. I think it hit it's mark. It is fun to watch after a Star Wars fest or a Star Trek marathon...Kinda like comparing the Blob to Alien...it's the comparison itself that's fun. Battle Beyond the Stars is worth a rental at least...most of these type of movies aren't.
AlphaWoolf
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"The Magnificent Seven" in space, right down to having Robert Vaughn play a burned-out mercenary.  The special effects are a bit laughable now, but at the time they were competent.  The concept of the Nestor aliens was cool, and of course you get Sybil Danning in a foam latex bustier.  Unfortunately she doesn't get the screen time she deserved - they could have pared (ha!) the movie down to "The Magnificent Two" (ha ha!)

John Saxon as Sador steals the movie.  Mr. Saxon chews the scenery to a pulp and spits it into orbit.  Sador would steal your heart, except he needs your arm more urgently.  The "peace planet" the heroes are protecting is so wishy-washy I was rooting for Sador all the way.  Too bad how things turned out, but maybe in a sequel someone could find a chunk of him floating in space and recreate him.  Viva Sador!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Battle Beyond the Stars « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.