Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:30:11 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Billy Jack « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Billy Jack  (Read 232087 times)
George Bush
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Billy Jack rules!
To bad he voted for Clinton. I bet he smokes cigars too.
If he wore shoes wouldn't he have been more affective?
Bad Memories
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This movie also played in Dayton Ohio (a liberal mecca) for over a year.  At the time, liberals were committing suicide, running of to Canada, burning flags, and hating Dick Nixon 24/7 for covering up a 2-bit political crime that he had no knowledge of at the time it happened.  Lots of angst for hippies back in them thar days.    

And as with all things liberal, reality is often replaced with fantasy (most often provided by Hollywood and TV (Primary Colors, The West Wing, etc.) where the villains are all older rich white guys (probably republicans) and the heroes are caring, nurturing (and often troubled) liberals.  

Enter Billy Jack.  Just how much boring, agonizing, inane peace/love/nuture/defiance/hate/revenge/anti-establishment drivel can be jam packed into a 2-hour cinema experience?

Watch the movie and find out.      
Mark
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

A couple of people mentioned a MAD magazine parody, but as well as this a send up titled 'Billy Jerk Goes To Oz' appeared in the 1980 movie 'Loose Shoes' directed by Ira Miller.

The premise is that Billy Jerk is bitten by a snake and  transported to OZ where he teams up with a Munchkin and the Scarecrow.

Big Daddy
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I agree with the long post that suggested that BOTH points of view are correct.

I was a liberal teen when the movie came out. Basically a pre-teen. But it had a big impact on me from the standpoint that everyone I knew thought it was cool and thus it gave me some good insight on what 'cool' was.

Now ANYTHING that's cool in 1071 is NOT gonna be cool even 2 years later, much less a generation ago (except in either a campy or retro way) so, OF COURSE the movie is dated.

But, if you can extend yourself a little bit  and see the context of the film...if you can understand the rigidity of the times that those teens were rebelling against...it might help you to understand it better.

Plus Billy Jack is a GREAT character... flat out.

If you remember the flour scene in the ice cream shop and can recall how you felt when Billy Jack rode up in his motorcycle after the children were doused, you can appreciate how perfectly Billy Jack creates a scene for his hero to ride in as the avenging hero.

It's drama 101 worked to perfection.

I'm much more conservative now but, in today's day and age, you have to learn how to filter out the liberal noise in most entertainment in order to appreciate it. See The Colbert Report for details. lol!

So, I still like Billy Jack. Even has a born again believer and Ann Coulter Republican. And not just for nostaligic reasons either. The Billy Jack character REALLY is an all time classic archetype.

My choice for the most under rated piece dialogue in this film comes from 'Drive the Corvette into the Water' scene. It's where Billy Jack says:

"C'mon Bernard...You get to choose."

Brilliant!
Linda
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Well it may have been violent and maybe he wasn't indian, but living near a small reservation, it was the first time they ever saw indians potrayed in a popular light.  Back then being an indian was the same as a dirt word, and he gave them confidence so i wouldn't be so quick to damn the movie.  It really started a revolution here in the Upper Penisula where they could be proud of who they were.
TJ Swanson
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Howdy Everyone, after reading many of the comments I find myself in the minority. I love the movie Billy Jack. I do agree that it runs long on hippies singing and improv theater but I love the way Billy is so calm even in the midst of kicking butt. I also like his philosophy, mostly. When I was a kid Billy Jack was a hero, of course, I was raised on Fort Belknap Indian reservation in Montana so maybe that has something to do with it. I do agree that Billy doesn't look like a half-blood but he does look like a quarter which, on most reservations is as good as a full-blood. Take care all. TJ Swanson (cousin to the mosquito).
giant Claw
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »

Just how many of those sily BILLY JACK movies did they make before they quit?
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »

Just how many of those sily BILLY JACK movies did they make before they quit?

There were four:
The Born Losers (1967)
Billy Jack (1971)
The Trial of Billy Jack (1974)
Billy Jack Goes to Washington (1977)

Billy Jack Goes to Washington was never released theatrically.
I bet Tom Laughlin thought is was because of a governmental conspiracy - and not because it just really sucked...  Smile

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2007, 12:24:42 AM »

Smile TeddyR

This is actually the review that brought me to this website in the first place ~ I wuz looking for some information on Billy Jack, was directed here and decided to drop anchor with Andrew and his merry band of bad movie lovers. Please note: "I dropped anchor" does not mean that I dropped it on their heads.  TeddyR

The film was banned in South Africa (as were its' sequels) and this site enabled me to find out more than a little about this famous movie and its' makers, Tom Laughlin and Delores Taylor.

Thanks for the review and the sounds, Andrew!  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2007, 03:04:43 PM »

The film was banned in South Africa (as were its' sequels)
Apartheid AND no "Billy Jack" movies?!?

BASTARDS!

TeddyR

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
tripper
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2007, 03:32:29 PM »

Hes so bad, he's good.  Yes, the singing ... torture - when I hear it... I jusssst goooo bizzzzerk.  Gene appears to be old enough to be his mother, sometimes... so I agree on the hair thing. But.. if there were a billy shop, I'd buy billywear. Billy rules.
Greenhornet
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2007, 04:53:33 PM »

My Grandmother was on the Trail of Tears, and my father told me some of the things that happened back then.
I am SICKENED by the "native Americans" who posted praise for this pile of celuoid crap, but THIS one wins the prize!
Hey, runningmountainfawn! (Ooooo, how "indiany" can you get?) The "Trail Of Tears" was in 1838-39 dumbass! How the hell old are you? A hundred? MORE than a hundred?
By the way, I'M a "Native American"! My ancestors came to this country from Ireland in 1750! We built this country and helped make it into something! As for those who were here before us, they TOOK the land from their neighbors who couldn't DEFEND it well! Don't try to tell me that "indians" were the "origonal hippies", buster. I'll sick my CHEROKEE and SEMINOLE relitives on your phony-baloney neohippie asses!  BounceGiggle
Gary Hamlin
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »

lets just say that the movie has not stood the test of time. or as BJ would say (deadpan in a monotone) the wind mumble mumble trees mumble mumble indian spirts mumble mumble nature mumble mumble white devils mumble mumble healing ..and so on for a few more minutes.
mike
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »

The movie was for its time. It had to be good, people flocked to it. The acting was not the best, but it did show the ignorance of our culture to generational differences. It was good to see a Vietnam Vet., getting some glory, after fighting in a thankless War. Now I look around, and the hippies, are the yuppies. These hypocrite whiny people, who were against the Vietnam War, are now Republicans, supporting the Bush War. There will probably be a movie made of Iraq war Vets., comming home and kicking all the yuppy asses that said they supported Bush's War, but were to cowardly to fight in it. Billy Jack, was a movie for it's time. Mike Smile
Kevin
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2007, 10:28:23 PM »

I saw it when it first came out and I was fifteen.  With the exception of the opening sequence, I thought it was one of the most asinine movies I had ever seen in my life.  Time has not changed that.

SNL did a great parody of the "flour" scene, with Larriane Newman calling out, "If only the colors of man could stay together like the ice cream on that come!"

It said it all
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Billy Jack « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.