Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:31:08 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Cat-Women of the Moon « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cat-Women of the Moon  (Read 22940 times)
Joe
« on: February 25, 2003, 12:43:09 PM »

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought the VHS Rhino 3-D versions of both this and ROBOT MONSTER. The 3-D effects are crappy on both of them. Rhino should be ashamed.
John Riley
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

When diluted acid, ESPECIALLY NITRIC ACID, with water, the correct procedure is to "do as you oughtta, add ACID TO WATER."  This means that spraying water on an acid spill will CAUSE an explosion...you must add the acid in small amounts to the water being used to dilute it.

The technical reason for this (just in case in comes up again in another movie??) is that dilution of acid with water liberates a large amount of heat (termed "heat of solution.").  When you add the water to the acid, the heat of solution is concentrated in a small region and will in essence boil the water to steam, popping the acid much like adding water to very hot grease in the bacon pan.  On the other hand, if the acid is added to a relatively large amount of water, the heat is dissipated into the water, and an explosion free dilution is accomplished.

By the way, and it was not in a dilution accident, but one of a very violent neutralization, I have WORN concentrated nitric acid...had it dripping off my glasses.  Amazingly, the only actual burn I received was about the size of a quarter on my hand.....

The heat of neutralization can be quite large too!
Dr. Maniac
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

A movie with Sonny Tufts as the hero and Victor Jory as a villain named Kip?  No, they aren't kidding!  This one was originally in 3-D to boot.  (So was ROBOT MONSTER but at least that one is fun to watch!).  Why are the Moon Maidens called cat-women?  They don't look like cats, they don't act like cats.  Maybe because "feline" and "feminine" have been inexorably linked in our imaginations!
   That puppet spider sure saw a lot of work.  First in MESA OF LOST WOMEN (1951), then this film and then the semi-remake MISSILE TO THE MOON (1956).  That prop probably fell apart years ago but just imagine what fun it would be to have in the garage.
Daiwai LupGow
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie is so priceless because it is so innocently made, its almost as if they are adults with the minds of 12 year olds (and that was the average level of education in the early 50's). Re why "cat women", I assume its because of the Cat Suits, very snazzy ones indeedy. Its a bit like the excellent "Teenagers from Outer Space" which is actually quite a thoughtful and sincere movie. It appears that to get the punters into the cinema back then you needed a sensational title, however unrelated to the film itself.
The general science of this film may be very wrong but I think the ship is  based on the writers take on what was a very hot topic at that time- the atomic space ship - look for "the Orion Project" at your local library or bookshop- amazing what could have been (maybe).
LAST BUT NOT LEAST- the scenery paintings of the moon are mindblowing, where did they get the reference for that?
Superb art work, added a degree of wonder to a generally silly adventure.
Best of all, I just bought it on DVD for $5 Australian at Crazy Clarks!!
IT
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:47:30 AM »

The giant spiders was the best things in this movie.I wish there was more of them.Other then that a terrible movie.
Ingulphus
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

A great review (I just bought the 3-D Rhino tape as a lot of three 3-D movies) - my eyes are still tearing and my sides are still sore from laughing so hard and so long.

Thank you!
marcus
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »

Tremendously awful!,.....But again not without it's merits,.......in a sort of sarcastic way.
The caste look like they had just absconded from various jails, & were met off a tug boat dockside & asked to help make a movie.
Victor Jory is plain irritating, Sonny Tufts can't act, & Marie Windsor reminds of a lady i once knew who chain smoked, & helped out at the greasy spoon.
Technology employed in their bean tin ( space craft ) is incredible!,  you wouldn't get me up in it.
And although the older fellow looks like a scientist, he would only have been allowed to practice it alongside a carpet bagger, selling the miracle cure of the ages or some such rubbish.
Combine this comic book interpretation of basic science ( the sort that would have got your ears boxed at school ) A giant rubber spider, lots of cigarette scenarios, and women dressed in black leotards, ( the best bit, don't tell the wife! ) & you pretty much have it.
This is a bit like the dreaded FIRE MAIDENS FROM OUTER SPACE, which is also like THE PHANTOM PLANET. ( both recommended if you like a good laugh).
Full marks to them for trying to convince us that there is an under ground world on the moon inhabited by women in skimpy attire, longing for some gentlemen.
( clean version )
However, as i write this they have just crashed two space craft on the moon in search of water.
Don't they watch films like this at NASA?.
Knowing what we know now i am sure they could have had a full crew on both craft.
snarf
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:27:41 AM »

I like this film a lot, it's classic b/w cheese. I made a music video with footage from this film, you can see it here on youtube:  C6sCbHaUcbQ
Chuck Messer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »

What I love about this movie is that Kip is supposed to be the Heroic Man of Action! Victor Jory made a career of playing villains and dangerous psychopaths, and in this movie, he plays the hero...

...well, like a dangerous psychopath. Flashing his roscoe at every opportunity, acting like a stalker with the heroine, and heroically gunning down a couple of unarmed moon-women. I guess Victor couldn't make the stretch. Or, maybe it was the script.

I just love a movie where the "hero" is a complete and utter dick.

Chuck
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Cat-Women of the Moon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.