Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:27:10 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dr. Phibes Rises Again « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dr. Phibes Rises Again  (Read 46850 times)
staev
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I don't understand the reviewer's comment about Vulnavia's demise. It's been quite a while, but I think Phibes said something like "you have done well, Vulnavia- we'll see you on the other side." For all we know she lived for another 50 years and was a great-grandmother of 12.

Greywizard, The Unknown Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

From what I've heard, this wasn't supposed to be the final Phibes movie. A third one was planned, and a screenplay was even written. But for some reason, the project was cancelled.

I've also heard that copies of this third screenplay are floating around. Would love to get my hands on one.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The third film, acc. to an old Famous Monsters of Filmland issue, was titled PHIBES RESURRECTUS.  I've heard of other scripts floating around (incl BRIDE OF PHIBES), but AFAIK only RESURRECTUS was penned by William Goldstein, who wrote the first one (and the novelizations for both).

I can't stress that last fact enough.  PHIBES RISES AGAIN wasn't penned by Goldstein, and this perhaps is the reason why some (myself included) have trouble with it, in comparison to ABOMINABLE.  I was surprised to read the Bad Movie Report's review, because [except for his vociferous hatred) he eched every complaint I've ever had about the film.  

The one complaint he DOESN'T raise is the lack of Phibes' real face in this film.  Oh sure, we get to see it buried up to the nostrils in sand, and then a brief side-shot as he dusts himself off, but c'mon!!  This is freakin' skin-ripped-from-his-face Phibes!  Besides the death of his wife, and the organ, the face practically defines the character.  Giving it a throwaway shot in this film is, well, abominable :)

But, you know, having Phibes' "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" solo restored for the DVD release makes it all worth it!
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Again, not one of my favorites, but, again there are compensating factors. Namely, Hugh Griffith. He of the bushy eyebrows. Perhaps, best known for playing the sheik in "Ben Hur," I will always remember him fondly as the magistrate in "Oliver" and King Louis in "Start the Revolution without Me." Maybe the original is superior to the sequel, but I always thought the sequel had the better cast. Not only are Vincent Price, Hugh Griffith, and Terry-Thomas back from the original, but Peter Cushing, Beryl Reid, and Robert Quarry, who twice played Count Yorga, are in the sequel as well. Enjoy
Jon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2001, 09:46:02 PM »

I like Rises Again much better than the original. It was funnier, The heroes were more sympathetic, and the ending was happy and ambiguous. Abominable just comes off as a second rate Theatre of Blood, with less memorable murders.
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

In some ways, this was even better than the original Phibes. For one thing, we are given a formidable opponent for Phibes in Biederbeck, a rich fortune hunter, who is much older than he appears to be. He is 100. The suspense is kept at a fluid even pace, and the actors are in fine form. Another of Price's triumphs.
Jason
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!! I am so glad that I found the wav file of Vincent Price singing "somewhere over the rainbow"! I bought both phibes movies for $10.00 on tape in some Vincent Price series of tapes, and when I watched Phibes rises Again- he didn't sing the song!! That wrecked the whole feeling for me. I remember when I was a kid, that Phibes sang that song when his wife was resurrected- while the other poor sap whithers into a mess.
    I always thought it was good and creepy how Phibes sang at the end... as he accomplished his dream of being with Victoria again, his ruthless methods were all but forgotten in his bliss.
    And what sucked the most about those tapes I got, was the 1/2 hours of ads for all of the Vincent Price movies...
Including Phibes- and they give away every death in the previews before you even see it. I have seen the movies before... but damn! I want to watch the killing with a plot attached please! Thanks alot!!
Scott Mardis
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"The Abominable Dr. Phibes" is my favorite movie of all time.I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen when I  was 12 years old(1976)on a double bill with "Food of the Gods".I love "Dr. Phibes Rises Again",as well,but I think the first one is the best.I also remember seeing the announcement for"Phibes Resurrectus" in Famous Monsters of Filmland.What a shame that us Phibes fans did not get another installment.I think that both of the Phibes films are Vincent Price's finest hour.If I was going to be stranded on a desert island and could only take 4 movies with me,it would have to be"The Abominable Dr. Phibes","The Exorcist","Jaws" and "Dolemite".I think it is time for a high-tech,CGI remake of Phibes with Christopher Walken as Phibes.They should show the car crash that destroyed his face.Thanks,SCOTT MARDIS
AlphaWoolf
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

As much as I like the first film, I like this even more.  The contest between two semi-supernatural characters and the more exotic setting help, and the deaths are still ingenious (if wildly improbable - the car lighter springs to mind).  The "Over the Rainbow" ending is a great way to finish this series.  I hope Phibes found what he was looking for in that tomb.  I do wish that Biederbeck could have also found a way to survive after all.  He was a sympathetic character, unlike the other Phibes-fodder.

Note to self - Never let anyone manuever you into sitting on a scorpion statue no matter how good-looking they are.  OUCH and double OUCH!
AlphaWoolf
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Oh, and I've to agree with Scott above, Christopher Walken would be AWESOME in a new Phibes movie (please not a remake).
Adam
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 11:28:28 AM »

Can some one tell me how a small group of people are able to carry large equiptment around a dessert? (giant fans, special crushing boxes etc)? :)
Timte01
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I've never seen the first film in full, but I know enough about it to really look forward to viewing it.

About this movie, I REALLY loved it.  When I read about a sequel, I couldn't wait.  Then, lo and behold, it was on FLIX!

Sadly, I missed the ending, since I had the bad luck of watching it around my mother.  Stupid blood relations!

But, fear not, I shall expose my friends to this movie series and let them now how you set up a vice around someone w/o waking them!
Paco
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 10:43:02 AM »

Dr. Phibes rises again... as well as Terry-Thomas, whose blood was sucked out by the wicked doctor in the first movie and left dead, his veins dry as a fallen leaf! Not only God can resurrect people: filmakers as well!
Luke Bannon
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I saw this film before I saw Abominable, and while the original is still one of Price's best, I enjoyed this one a lot more. In particular, I liked the fact that Phibes wins, and if an inlay photo from the DVD is to be believed, Victoria rose again as well. I didn't like Beiderbeck too much, but in the end he did the right thing by saving Diana's life. And Trout and Waverly were very funny comic relief. One of the best B-movies ever.
FizzleStein
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This one had me and my friends screaming "BIEDERBECK! NEW LIFE!" all the time. Absolutely awesome.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dr. Phibes Rises Again « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.