Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:42 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Abominable Dr. Phibes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Abominable Dr. Phibes  (Read 75045 times)
Martyn Smith
« on: June 24, 2002, 05:35:32 AM »

This is one of the first horror films I ever saw, I must of been about 8 or 9 and I watched it late on a Friday night when I was allowed to stay up, it gave me horrible nightmares but it was worth it because I found it fascinating, my dad taped it on our toploading betamax video so I could squeel with fright when he drained that fella of blood. Vincent price is ace in this film, I rate it next to the creeping flesh with Peter Cushing, another film that scared me stiff!
Steve
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Both Phibes movies are good, with Price playing one of his best roles. Those clockwork musicians - very freaky. If you like the Phibes' have a look at "Theatre Of Blood". Price plays a Shakespearean ham (Edward Lionheart)who fakes his own suicide so he can gain bloody (but inventive)revenge on beastly theatre critics. He uses the methods of murder described in the play he was appearing in at the time of the bad review he received. It's ace.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Not one of my favorites, though one of Price's. There are compensating features, though. Namely, Terry-Thomas, he of the pencil thin moustache and gap between the teeth--which is used to good effect, when he voiced the character of Sir Hiss in Disney's "Robin Hood." Perhaps, best known as the Englishman (typecasting) in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." And, if I remember correctly, the novelization of the screenplay solved the problem with the locusts, with the nurse being eaten by ants, and the locusts, being used as a red herring. Which makes more sense. As locusts are herbivores, or plant eaters, while ants are omnivores, or they will eat eat almost anything, including human flesh. Enjoy
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2001, 12:25:12 PM »

I find this to be the definitive Price film. As the mad genius Phibes, Price brings to the screen an all new persona of genuine evil, and malicious intent. This rates as my favorite Vincent Price movie, and is a horror classic with originality, with a touch of dark comedic overtones. One I highly recommend.
Blake Walker
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Hi, I saw both movies back to back when I was eleven or twelve years old on cable.  Must say that Vincent Price played the role of Dr. Phibes to the hilt (some of the cruel biblical death scenes even give me chills today).  Anyway, I'd recommend them to anyone who enjoys well made, classic horror films.
Joe L.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This certainly is a superior horror picture (indeed, black comedy might be the more accurate category), and must rank as one of Vinnie the P.'s best films overall.  What style! What panache!  Terry Thomas is a hoot, of course, and Joseph Cotten makes a worthy adversary to dear, departed Dr. Phibes.  And yes, I'd love to see what your take would be on THEATRE OF BLOOD, another darkly comic romp.
L.E. Brewington
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I had never seen this movie until I read the review. There is no possible way I could ever take it seriously (as if that would have been possible anyway, I mean you can see the strings holding up the carnivorous fruit bats) But it Kicks Ass! Vulnavia stole that movie right out from under Price. "Did you write down FASHIONABLE, inspector Trout?" My husband walked around for hours afterwards with a phone cord stuck in his collar talking like poor Anton. I still haven't absorbed the whole wax sculpture thing yet, though.
Luke Bannon
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 12:03:17 PM »

It was this film that turned me into a big fan of Vincent Price, and I would like to personally thank Andrew, as it was on your site that I first heard of it. Thanks again man.
Jeff Dworkin
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I've always loved the high level campiness of the whole production.  One note:  those are LIMES not Brussels Sprouts!  He made a thick lime syrup that he drizzles over her face ....
Jim Brown
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Prices 50th & one of his best movies.I've heard it said that it was his First Phibes movie that set the trend of the mad scientist playing the piano.

When it comes to Vincent Price movies.Both Phibes gon on top of my list of the must haves.Along with

Last Man on Earth.(Which "Omega Man"was based on.)

The Raven.

Jim
Swamprat
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Fun horror hokem. Vincent Price drips class in these kinds of movies. The two Dr. Phibes films were the crowning jewels on Price's horror star shtick. Tight little stories. Good production values as these British "B" films go. Handsome look and feel and playing-it-straight-for-camp performances all around. Typical "Black" British humor scattered throughout...at times outright surreal. I rank both the Phibes films right up there with the Edgar Allen Poe adaptations Price did with Roger Corman back in the early sixties. I believe these were the last of Prices starring roles...he only popped up in cameos afterwards. I think his last role as the lonely and sad Mad Scientist in Edward Scissorhands was a fitting goodbye for those of us who loved him, and it was perfect; the stereotype "B" movie mad scientist showing us what we had missed through all those "B" horror flicks...Mad Scientists are just human, and they need love too. Funny, clever, intelligent, talented, Vincent Price had class. Rent both movies and enjoy.
Canadaphile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Trivia alert!  This was the last movie the Who's drummer Keith Moon saw before he bought it.  Maybe he thought he could die happy now that he had seen it ...
Kaldera
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I slept the first time I watched that movie. I saw it because of the Misfits song "The Abominable Dr. Phibes".
By the second time, I really liked it. Itīs a Price Masterpiece.
The only thing thatīs troubling is that itīs a little annoying and boring.
Donīt see it if youīre half asleep.
Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The director, Robert Fuest,  was a friend of the LaVeys.     "The organist" in a horror movie is nothing new, but I think the combination of organist and mechanical orchestra, and the orchestra's  style of costume, is a  tip-of-the-hat to Anton LaVey.   This was made several years before  Fuest's  "Devil's Rain", where Anton plays the Satanic organist.
roadrat
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Vincent Price chews up endless scenes like only the master can. How can anybody not like a mad doctor with a voice like that? The 'unicorn' scene was too funny for words. I felt sorry for Trout. Not only does he cop it from his superiors, they always get his fish species wrong!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Abominable Dr. Phibes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is Đ 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.