Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:21:24 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Mommie Dearest « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Mommie Dearest  (Read 104476 times)
ChristopherStraps
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Here's the actual lines from the movies, to prevent some misquotations:

"God, I HATE this night!  Turns every year into a CRISIS!"

"Should've known you'd know where to find the boys AND the booze."

"Barbara, please! Please, Barbara!  Leave us alone, Barbara.  If you need anything, ask Carol Ann."

"Damn you! Are you crazy? TELL ME!"

"Hauling me over to Mayer's table like some picked-up floosy! Or one of those starlets? Out to show the big shots a nice night in town! Is that what you think of me?"

"Dammit! Perrino's is MY place!"

"How? HOW could you let this happen? And you! How could you HUMILIATE me this way? I'm ashamed to be your mother!"

"Is this an instituion of learning or a teenage BROTHEL?"

"Ah! You lost again!"

"Vita, don't say that!"

"She negotiates EVERYTHING like a goddamned Hollywood agent."

"Why must EVERYTHING be a contest?!"

"Christina...eat your lunch!"

"You drove Al Steele to his grave and now you're trying to stab me in the back? FORGET IT! I fought worse monsters than you for YEARS in Hollywood, I know how to win the hard way!"

"Yah...you're nothing but a rotten, crooked lawyer supplying the grease that makes this sh*tty movie business work.  You think your life's a mystery...there isn't a dirty cover-up in this entire business that I don't know about and your hand is in every one of them you REEK of it!"

"CAROL ANN!!! I had ASKED you to keep the children QUIET today! Now for Christ's sake get them OUT of the garden!"

"No Wire Hangers! What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you 'No wire hangers EVER'!  I work and work...till I'm half DEAD and I hear people saying she's getting old.  And what do I get?  A DAUGHTER! Who cares as much about the beautiful dresses I give her, as she cares about ME! What's wire hangers doing in this closet?  I buy you BEAUTIFUL dresses, and you treat them like they were dishrags! You'd put a three hundred dollar dress on a wire hanger!  We'll see how many wire hangers you've gotten hidden over here!  We'll see! WE'LL SEE! Get out of that bed [sic]!  We're gonna see how many wire hangers you've got hidden in your closet!  Wha? Wire hangers, why? WHY...Christina get out of that bed...Get out of that bed.  You live in the most beautiful house in Brentwood and you don't care!  And your clothes have stretch-marks from wire hangers! And you're room looks like some two dollar refurbished room in some two-bit backstreet town in Oklahoma!  Get up, get up, clean up this mess!"
Steve
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

One of my favourite scenes is when, after crying poor to Cristina , she is found drunk with shopping bags full of new designer shoes...then she sluurs ..."Cristina Dhaaling..a pillow is a lousy substitute for somebody who really cares..."
Michael
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Too bad the old witch didn't go to jail for child abuse.
 I can't imagine beating an innocent child with dutch cleanser.
The woman was a sociopath. I hope that Christina and Christopher made millions from this movie. They deserved to.

John
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This was the first movie where an Oscar winning actress portrayed another Oscar winning actress.  
SAPennmark
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Too bad in all the reviews not one comment on L.B. Mayer's "Joan, Joan, Joan, Joan, JOOOOOAAAAANNNN!  I saw the premier of Mommie Dearest, and remarkably, before it was shown nationwide, they paired it down to only two "Joans" though I heard on Cable the following year they left it in.  Does anyone else have first-hand knowledge of this.

Steve Pennmark,
Beverly Hills
Westner
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

You guys have to watch this film in the portuguese dubbed version..it ads to an already over-the-top interpretation a lousy translation and an even MORE over-the-top dubbing by some crazy woman. It's unparalleled.

Small | Large

Westner,

Săo Paulo,Brazil
Carly Emerick
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

The only thing better than this movie is Bill Van Ryns review of it!

Norma Robles
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 04:29:58 AM »

This is weird,writing on what I feel about the movie, Mommy Dearest.What can I say, it's like seeing "mom" the way she was with me when I was younger.Always but always worried about the way she'd carry herself & what people thought!!!My parents got divorced when I was 8. Mom changed after that. This,  but really...this feels weird typing this,cause of all the phisical & mental abuse through 6 years after dad left,it feels good writing down my feelings. It does!I'm 35...married.Married to my Rey and enjoy our stay for now in North Carolina.(From Texas)I Have an 19yr old daughter & an 11yr old son,here w/me.(Heather,my daughter is back in Texas for college) uhmm, Maybe my point is or tring to be is that "mom" was freaking abusive and now in my life w/friends & family,I'll say..You can't just spank or abuse your kids,talk to them...just talk to them!! The movie,it does'nt fail, but it brings back so many memories. Wish I had a few pages to register what I'd have to say,regardless,now,for now,I feel better!!   Norma  (Texan native) and enjoying Noth Carolina for now.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2007, 11:32:48 PM »

If you looked CAMP in the dictionary, you would see Mommie Dearest in it.  I loved the film, which is odd imo, b/c I'm a guy and I'm not gay.  I just though it to be unique and interesting.  To bad Faye Dunaway pretty much tries to act as this film exists
AllisonSNLKid
Dedicated Viewer

Your Saturday Night Live Guru since 1996!

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 09:35:43 PM »

My father and I are absolutely in love with this movie (or just total suckers for it!) - we watch it EVERY TIME it's on TV and I'm home to see it.  My mother, on the other hand, hates this movie with a passion. 

Faye Dunaway is extremely over-the-top in this movie, a performance that probably would have derived more than a few choice comments from Ms. Crawford had she been alive to see the end result (or, in the very least, the book that inspired it).  But, then again, she DID make those incredibly insane movies in the 1960s and 1970s at her absolute worst.

This movie is a total camp fest - my absolute favorite part, besides the classic wire hangers scene (my mom hates wire hangers too, but I'm usually the one who is quick to quote the scene!), is the rose garden massacre the night MGM fired her - because we all know it's proper to work in the garden while dressed in your awards show finest.  I absolutely love quoting (simultaneously with Joan, of course) the funniest line in the rampage - "TINA!  Bring me the AXE!"

An absolute hootfest - comes highly recommended for those who enjoy classically Bad Movies...or, at least quoting them!

It's like people only do things because they get paid.  And that's just really sad.
george
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »

mommie trancends all labels, faye is fab and the film is a joy to watch over and over. see it as camp or a tale of alledged abuse, and notice their is not another actor of merit in it, who could withstand our faye. i truly wish they could find some of the unused footage
Bobby the K
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 05:37:25 PM »

~

One thing I would say is that the reason she's hacking down the flower garden (i think it's mostly tulips) is because it was L.B. Mayer who gave her all the bulbs, and i expect the tree as well.

Too bad the movie didn't mention that, why her brother had the harness thing on. And of course there were actually 5 children.

But i am watching it for the first time and it is indeed awesome. And i would recommend therefore you see 'Grey Gardens'  if you haven't already.
austinpadet
New Visitor

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »

A four slimmer no queston about it! If you haven't seen it don't miss it! You won't be sorry. I've also read the book. I felt sorry for Tina in the book but not in the movie.

My queston is did the director expect the viewing public to take this movie seriously?

My favorite part is after the " Why can't you give me the respect that I'm entitled to?" quote. Then Joan jumps on to of Tina and starts to strangle her and slam her head on the floor. The funniest part of this scene is you can see Tina's underware for a second wile Jone is bouncing up and down on her.

They should have had a drag queen play the role of Joan instead of Faye Dunaway.   
Rene
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:47 AM »

I like this movie.  IDK why but I do.  I took it as true until I started reading stories written about it, which leads me to believe that Hollywood "juiced" it up to make it better for the big screen.  And you must also think about the daughter, if she was indeed abused, would she not "juice" it up to make it a better story, or did she really endure those things. Mental illness is a MF, and if not treated, things like this can happen, the funny thing is, I have been beat with a metal hanger, a plastic hanger, an extention cord, a belt and a stick. Makes me wonder if I can sell my story, cause to be honest, Christina did not have it as hard as I did. Maybe the fact that her mother was famous is what makes her story so great. I know the movie makes me laugh, the funniest part of the movie, that I must rewind to laugh at over and over again is when her first love shook the crap at of her.  The whole scene itself is just funny as hell to me and as I write about it and picture it in my head I am laughing. Cheers
srsly
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »

There are a couple things I feel I must point out to the author of the main review on this site.

1.” Somehow they convinced a serious actress like Faye Dunaway to act like a complete maniac” –Oh I’m sorry we didn’t realize you were an expert in Joan Crawford’s personal behaviors outside of her films.  Perhaps Ms. Crawford was a “Complete Maniac” in which case Ms. Dunaway’s performance would be spot on.

2.” then drags the fight into the bathroom and beats Christina with a couple cans of cleanser.”-Actually there was only one can of cleanser.  Perhaps you should have been watching the movie more closely if you had planned on posting a review online for the world to see.  It only makes you look like a pretentious a****le

3.” The director seems to be trying to make some sort of weird hybrid of a horror film and a daytime drama.”-You must be new at this.  In the business the term “horror” generally implies something that is supernatural.  There is nothing supernatural about this movie.  I have never heard anybody compare this movie in the same way.  Your analogy is absurd.

4.” Businessmen in charge of large corporations are easily shocked by the "F" word.”-Is this sarcasm?  Your lame attempt at sarcasm fails to point out the fact that this meeting would have occurred in 1959-60 where it was certainly a rarity to find women in the board room but also for women be shouting the f word in the board room….so yes in this portrayed day and time it would have been very shocking.

5.” My mother wasn't really that neurotic after all.”-We don’t know your mother and we don’t care.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Mommie Dearest « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.