Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:26:51 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Black Scorpion « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Black Scorpion  (Read 50357 times)
night heron
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 09:26:13 PM »

I never saw BLACK SCORPION but i did see TARANTULA in fact i have tarantula on video cassette and we all know from science class that spiders and scorpoins are related
Kooshmeister
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Noticed an error in your review. In the characters, you say Major Cosio dies as a result of his own stupidity. If you're talking about the guy who grabs the electrified harpoon with his bare hands, that's Major Ortega. Major Cosio is never killed. I'm not demanding that you correct this, just giving a friendly FYI.
oxode
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I think no one mentioned, till now , that the scorpion is making the ant-sound from "THEM". So I do now. Maybe it was a bargain.
IT
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

One of my favorite giant bug films.The scene where a scorpion attacts a line repair man was scary as hell and the best scene in the movie.The thing not only crushes the guy in its claws but it stings the poor guy just for the hell of it.I wish there was more scenes like that in this movie.Not as good as THEM or TARANTULA but better then BEGINNING OF THE END and the DEADLY MANTIS.They could'nt kill the scorpions with bullets but could'nt they have took a tip from the ANGRY RED PLANET and shot them in the eyes there was a few scenes in this movie where that idea would of been useful.One of WILLIS O'BRIENS best films.
Bob the mutant chicken
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 12:22:54 PM »

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that the scopions face close ups did not match the faces on the models take a good look.Other then that a great B MOVIE.
AUgusto
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Yeah, in the part of the train, you see a scorpion face, but the robos close up isn't that face U_U
Bill Hiers
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 10:12:04 PM »

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that the scopions face close ups did not match the faces on the models take a good look.Other then that a great B MOVIE.

They do sometimes. It just depends on the model.
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 11:10:44 PM »

Squishy!!
What the hell are you doing here as a "guest"??
Get back on the Board, man!!
peter johnson/lower case

I have no idea what this means.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007, 12:32:38 PM »

Noticed an error in your review. In the characters, you say Major Cosio dies as a result of his own stupidity. If you're talking about the guy who grabs the electrified harpoon with his bare hands, that's Major Ortega. Major Cosio is never killed. I'm not demanding that you correct this, just giving a friendly FYI.

I went back and watched that section again and you were dead on with it being Major Ortega.  Thank you for the correction.  I have amended the review.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
oxode
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 05:48:15 AM »

Black Scorpion may not be the best bug film, but it's lots of fun. Willis O'Brien's effects are quite good. I hear they were done in a rush, so that will explain the re use of scenes and the visible wires on some of the scorpion models. Even so, the scorpions kick some major booty and are fine additions to O'Brien's body of work. Give the producers credit for using stop motion instead of live scorpions. I'll never forget the shock I got when I saw the film for the first time. I'm talking about the scene where the Mexican picked up the live electrode and got killed. Totally unexpected and a wild twist to the climax.

All in all, a great popcorn film.

Just to get the records strait. Willis O'Brien is innocent in this case. The FX crew just picked up some left overs from him from the cuttingroom floor and prompted it in. In plain words, they just used, what he tossed in the garbage.
Flangepart

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »

Squishy!!
What the hell are you doing here as a "guest"??
Get back on the Board, man!!
peter johnson/lower case
Squishy! Dude! How was rehab?
No, seriously. Been a long time, oh clever and crabby one.Hows it hangin'?

:cheers:I love this flick, particulary because its the FIRST MST3K i ever watched! Laughed my galaxy spanning a$$ off!
"Hey, look, its the Kalua factory.."
"Look at me, i'm messin' up time tables!"
"The milling around festival breaks up..."

Oh, yes, how i wished for "Kennycide".
Great flick, and a remake might no be too bad. Maybe....maybe...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »

Great Ray Harryhausen film.andrew, have you ever heard of the beast from 20,000 fathoms?The valley of gwangi?Jason and the argonouts?Clash of the titans?Watch them. All good harryhausen movies.

except this isn't a Harryhausen film.  it's a good film, with some great animation in it, but another re-write of the script could have helped.  they got a lot of monsters in that movie for little money, though.

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
ELW
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

One of my favorite bad movies; it seems that everyone in Mexico speaks
perfectly fluent english.  My favorite scene is the WWF style wrestling match
between the scorpion and the giant worm thing with the pinchers.
akiratubo

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »

You know, it's weird.  Watching Spider Man 2, I got extremely p**sed off during the scene in which Spidey stops the train.  "Spider Man isn't that strong!  WTF???"

Yet watching The Black Scorpion, my eyes bug out in alarm when the big scorpion derails the train.  "Holy crap, it derailed a train!  It must be really f***ing strong!"

I'm willing to suspend disbelief for an old monster movie that has little going for it besides neat model scorpions, but not for a critically acclaimed blockbuster that 99% of the people in the world seem to love.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mr Reptilian!
New Visitor

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »

The worst part of this movie was when the Spider failed to eat the irritating little hard headed obnoxious brat! How the little punk was able to out run a 8 legged giant spider is beyond me,and whats worst is it took 3 bullets to finish the Spider,I guess Giant Spiders are not as tough as Giant Scorpions.But anyway I enjoyed this movie the scene of the Scorpion stinging the line repair man really scared the hell out of me as a kid! hot
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Black Scorpion « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.