Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:42:52 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dune « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Dune  (Read 78470 times)
Moxie
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I read the book before seeing the film, so maybe I'm not looking at the movie with a fresh mind.  It just seems to me that several elements of the book could have been left ALONE and still be both CHEAPER and COOLER than they were in this movie.

A.  In the book, sometimes, the sun is out.
B.  In the book, they don't use guns (wierding modules) that turn random words into lasers.  They use knives.  I for one would prefer knives to whatever the f**k those things are.
C.  The wierding way was not originally saying things into a gun.  It was kick ass kung fu.  Kung fu is much more fun to watch than a battle of deadly negative scratches.
D.  There was no need to give Thufir and the other mentat embarrassing eyebrows.
E.  Most of the cast is horribly chosen; most of all the role of Paul's father, who is supposed to be a great leader of men but is portrayed as a weepy, sentimental, slow witted, and hairy man.
F.  In this movie, a man is presented with a cat with a rat tied to its back and told he must milk it and drink its milk to live.  Don't give me that "but it's david lynch and his imagination made it so it must be worshipped by you" bulls**t.  IT'S A CAT WITH A RAT TIED TO ITS BACK.  Despite being ludicrous, this was somehow presented in such away as to make me not laugh.

So, to recap, too much hair, too many cats with rats tied to their backs, and sound guns (like in that Shaq movie) instead of knives.  Oh, and the navigators look like fetuses.

I don't need a faithful interpretation (it's no worse in that respect than Starship Troopers, which I enjoyed) but I would have liked to have seen knives and more Fremen fighting with knives.  If you think that "wierding modules" are a better movie making choice IN ANY WAY than knives and kung fu, please say so.
wanderer
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Having read all the Dune series book (if you want to severely punish yourself, you should read them all), I didn't think that the movie was too bad.  But then again, I usually have no problems understanding the weird scifi plots; especially if I've read the book.  If the movie was done properly, it would be 5-6 hours long.  But then that's what they said about Lord of the Rings and movie turned out well.  So what the bloody hell am I talking about?
retroK
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2003, 03:40:58 AM »

@Steve: This ist not a Queen Song it is Toto!!
Writer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »

Heh. This is the film that came out in the same year as the first Terminator film. James Cameron Dune this was going to be the big hit while his own film would just make a little money and be a nice little flick. Instead, Terminator turned out to be a real hit while Dune turned out to be a fifty million dollar disaster. Easy to see why.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 09:30:59 AM »

Personally Dune is my all time favourite film, however, whenever I read this review I get reduced to tears...of laughter! Hahaha brilliant writing.
Rob
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I guess I'm strange, but I love this version of Dune. Sure it doesn't follow the great book it's based on, but it's still very enjoyable in it's own way. Does anybody remember The Shining ? Stanley K. didn't follow the novel but still made a very effective film.
If you like the visual style of Dune, see Chronicles Of Riddick, it has a similar look and feel.
Does anybody know where to find the four hour version of 1984 Dune ? Please email me if you do.
MrGB
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

David Lynch takes the most overrated book in history and turns it into an even worse movie. The FX were atrocious (Star Wars came out years before this, for god's sake), the plot reduced to the point of becoming completely incomprehensible, and, pray tell, what's that thing with those sonic guns? Ridiculous.
Kooshmeister
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005, 03:18:21 PM »

With regards to the sandworms, I think they get the nutrients they need to survive from the sand or something.
Dart Razmus
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 11:04:37 PM »

For those looking for a movie of a book thats more original then the book its based on it was good.Frankly the mini series was better.
Bob3
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

God what an awful film. Saw this the week it opened and I remember the feeling while watching it of something heavy sitting on my chest. By the time the film ended - with a rain storm for cryin' out loud - I wanted to throw something at the screen.

There really isn't enough room to list the problems with this overblown confusing incoherent mess of a film - but it's safe to say that every decision David Lynch made about this film - from the Baron's boils to the silly sound weapons and the people with the weird eyebrows was just wrong. I'm not sure what Lynch was trying to do here but it didn't work. But for damn sure the man can't film a battle scene to save his life - the two battles in the movie feature loud music with people running around like they were late for a bus.

While I wasn't a huge fan of Dune I was keen to see what they could do with the book. Not much it turned out.
At least we managed to avoid Lynch directing anymore Dune films - he was signed to three if memory serves.
Chris Schneider
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 07:51:41 PM »

O.K., you are on a huge desert planet with nothing but sand – hence the title, DUNE – no water, vegetation or 7-11’s. My question is, WHAT THE HELL DO THESE SAND WORMS EAT FOR GOD’S SAKE? It can’t be other sand worms, because then THEY would have had something to eat before hand. If any answers are floating about, please email them to this site.
Sean
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm surprised nothing was ever mentioned about Sting's big line:

"I WILL KILL HIM!"

I laugh whenever I hear that.
SuperDave
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

How bout another character assassination with the Bene Gesserit's reverend mother? She mastered the fine art of "wideeyed indignation".

:)

Funny review. Loved the movie when it came out, and this review had me 'rolling'.
Franks work must have been tough to squeeze into a two hour movie. A lot must have been left on the cutting room floor, and thus the reason for the big budget but 'low' quality special effects.
Have you seen the Sci-Fi channels mini series? Good stuff.
I think its a great adaptation of the Dune book series.
Certain parts had me going "Oh! Thats right!".

David
Sal
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I think we all have mixed emotions about this movie.

I remember reading the movie storybook as a kid--you know, big pictures, not too much text--and thinking "Wow! What a great story."

Then I saw the movie, and absolutely HATED IT! The scene with the heart plug made me almost puke--I was 11 or 12 when I rented the video, and that scene made me sick.

Having read the book this year (2005), I decided to give the move a 2nd chance. The novel, by the way, is awesome.

As for the Lynch film, I no longer hate it. It has great production design. Great actors, IMHO. But while the 1st half of the film is pretty solid, the 2nd half crams 2/3 of the book into an hour or so.

It makes me wonder what a 4 hour version (not the 3 hour TV version) would have been like...

John Dashwood
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Well I recall the makers of it pating themselves on the backs about closely the followed the book. In the 6 hour movie version perhaps they did. But we only got the cut down version. Which made 100% no sense to anyone who didn't read the book. It's a great book! I read it after I saw the movie. Not sure how I ended up reading it. I was grossed out by the movie when I first saw it. It seemed everyone in it was creepy looking, and it had way too much of that 1960s space look and feel to everything. But thats just me. When you don't feel some sort of identity to a movie. You don't relate to it. Thus
it come them it goes. While movies that you feel like you can relate to become cult classics. Dune is a tragic case. It should have been a movie everyone would have found something to relate to. Be them Sci-fi fans, military, politicians, professionals, idealists, computer nerds, MetalHeads, SkinHeads, Punks and what have you. The books touched on sooo much! From politics, religion, race, genetics, eugenics, psychology, war and anthropology. This movie could have been the biggest blockbuster in history! If it was done right. But they sterilized all of it because such things make the meek uncomfortable. The TV series fumbled the ball as well. Just not as much. They still had way to many guns, they screw up Duncan Idaho's heroic death,
they written Thufir almost completely out of the script, (Rumor has it that the chick playing the Princess pulled many stings from behind the scenes from her tribe to give her a much bigger role in the movie. A much bigger role her character didn't have in the book. You can see this in that fact that most of her lines are lines Thufir had in the book when he was capured by the Baron! Plus she has nothing on   Virginia Madsen's looks or acting talent.) Also. Both attempts failed to show the artilery fire that was in the book. Which also showed why guns were not used. Because those personal force fields stop bullets and fast moving objects. Making guns out dated. However! When the cities shields were down. The Baron had cannons used cannons as a distraction and to cause havok. Also Lazguns could not be used on shields. The contact of both cause a nuclear reaction. Which Duncan Idaho used to help them escape. But anyway. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point. It's not bad it's not great. Sort of like Riddick. Few people feel identity to a psychopath. Or someone like Vin Diesel. Who looks way too much like N.O.'s  Naggin for anyone's comfort!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dune « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.