Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:07:07 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera vs. Gaos « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gamera vs. Gaos  (Read 38647 times)
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 12:23:51 PM »

This one was on Commander USA's Groovie Movies. Pretty sure it was that sandy frank version. Also I think this one was on MST3K as well.

Probably my favorite old school Gamera movie, I still need to track down the AIP version though.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »

Old school Gamera is the fun, but i must respect the New versions.
Gammera the Invibncable is the best hoot.
The American scenes with Brian "Call me Quatermass"Donlevy would make for an extra special MST3K.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 11:48:06 PM »

The worlds biggist saber tooth turtle meets the worlds biggist vampire bat and notice the cartoon of gaos looks kind of like somesthing from mars maybe a pet owned by MARVIN THE MARTIAN BounceGiggle
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »

I love the Gamera flicks almost as much as Godzilla, but I for one, do did the new Gamera flicks. The new FX does the big guy justice.
And gotta admit, I love the MST versions.
"Sandy-frank,sandy -frank, thinks that people come from, treeees!"...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
George
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »

I have seen this movie more times than any other monster movie,it's my No.1 Favorite!.
AIP made the best English language version,however there are a few things I like about the Sandy Frank version,I'll explain in a bit.
But first we begin with the AIP musical intro,then volcanoes erupting,finally bringing Gamera back to Earth,meantime a group of farmers didn't want a new highway built on there land,but then suddenly the powerful volcanic blasts unleash Gaos,a super vampire bat with a super sonic ray and vapor to put out fires.
Three times Gamera and Gaos fight,and the first two rounds go to Gaos,mostly because of his ray,the air battle they have over Nagoya is one of the best air battles between two flying monsters ever seen!,as they crash into the water Gamera rips off part of Gaos foot.
The scientists study it and conclude the only way of killing Gaos is to expose it to the sun,now in what Godzilla movie do you see a giant turntable of death!?.
Naturally they increase the voltage before sunrise and in doing so overload the system,Gaos gets away,but this leads up to the final super battle between our turtle hero and Gaos,hands down one of the best battles in all Japanese Monsterdom!.
Retromedia did a great job in there AIP realease,along with The Magic Serpent,but there were a few things they could of added from the SF version.
First before the SF movie started,there was an original movie trailer of the air battle between Gamera and Gaos!,Retromedia could of added that.
Also the alternet SF ending should of been included,in the AIP version Agie says to Gamera at the end,"Thank you Gamera sayonara sayonara!",The Sandy Frank version has him saying"Come back again and see us soon Gamera don't forget now!",so the viewers could decide for thereselves which ending they liked the best,(personally I really did like that part of the SF version),plus the Gamera outtakes of the first three Gamera movies after the movie was over.
If I had anything to with that release I sure would of included all that,but I didn't so it's not there,but it should of been,however I'm not going to argue the point,Retromedia,did an excellent job with their release of this, Return of the Giant Monsters,the greatest classic Gamera movie of them all!.
George
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »

As I said Return of the Giant Monsters is my most favorite of all the original Gamera movies.
On the You Tube you may be have recently watched someone named Wickwire with Kaiju Movie Reviews.

Although I'm glad to see someone finally reviewing Gamera movies,I thought he was being just a bit to harsh on it.For example,he says the English dialogue was terrible,was he talking about the Sandy Frank version?,although he did show clips from the AIP version,he did not make that clear,I hope you ment the SF version,although as I said the last time,I did like the ending of the SF version when the kid asked Gamera to come back and see us again,and the outtakes from the first 3 Gamera movie set to the Return of the Giant Monsters them.

I thought Gamera never looked better,but again the reviewer didn't seem to think so.
Of course Goas was stiff,remember he had two spines & throats that enabled him to produce super sonic rays.

I'm not being critical of the review in general,in fact it's better than what some people over at imdb have wrote about this movie.

What we do agree on is the fact the monster fights in this movie are the best you can get,especially the air battle,except for being a bit to critical I enjoyed the review and look forward to seeing what he has to say about Gamera movies,although I forgot he already has about the 1st,2nd,4th & 5th.

In conclusion on a scale of 1 to 10,I give Return of the Giant Monsters,(The AIP version),a 10.
George
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »

Apparently Shout Factory read A.C.Cronvichs comments about the out of sink dubbing on the Gamera DVDs,I just got them.

As far as Return of the Giant Monsters,perfect dubbing on the AIP side,haven't really tried the Sandy Frank side,the only part on that worth its salt are Agies last words to Gamera.
Viras is fine,except for two flash back scenes missing from Gamera and Gaos,and in Gameras attack on the dam,even though the men were saying things,we never heard them,it was like seeing an edited TV version.

Guiron's fine,except some high low sound when they have to switch to Sandy Frank dub when Guiron chopped Goas.Jiger has some high pitched tones in the beginning,but then evens out,but at the point where Horoish sister says,"Where are they!",the sound goes away.
All in all,phenomenal pictures,good old AIP dubbing,and a fair price.

Hopefully Shout Factory someday will be able to get a letterboxed Gammera with Brian Donlevy and Albert Dekker,and edit a Japanese version of Gamera vs. Barugon and put the AIP soundtrack on it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera vs. Gaos « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.