Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:59:52 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wing Commander « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wing Commander  (Read 47872 times)
terevaune
« on: April 28, 2003, 11:17:08 PM »

I saw this one in the theater.  When they had to be quiet so the other ship could not hear them, I laughed for almost 10 min.  Other good points - the model t ford fighters, and when the escape hatch blows, one girl is getting sucked out but her hair does not move.  And when the Kilrathi in one of the backgrounds falls over like a paper cut out.
Dave
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Folks, this is the only movie I ever walked on, and demanded my money back from the theater manager.  Not even "The Big Hit" was this bad.  I was a religious player of the games.. and from that standpoint alone I found zillions of things wrong with this movie from the very beginning.  The point of no return was the actual meeing with the Kilrathi.. they didn't look dangerous, they looked like feline rejects from the cheap versions of the planet of the apes.  It's that bad.

Stay away, very very far away.
AlphaWoolf
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I didn't have high expectations for this and I'd never played any of the games.  I thought it was okay.  Not a classic by any means, but not a bad WWII-in-the-Pacific-action-set-in-outer-space movie.  Far better than the abysmal "Starship Troopers", if only because it doesn't waste as much of your time.
Swamprat
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

AHEM...I meant "Starship Troopers". See how bent outta shape this piece of crap made me?
Swamprat
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Tripe...What is it with guys like David Warner and Jurgen Prochnow anyway? These guys have made classic films and are undoubtably fine actors...but for every one great film they're in they must appear in at least a dozen turds apiece. They seem to have a serious case of Michael Caine-itis. One good one to fifteen bad ones...what a ratio! Warner made a real British Swinging Sixties film called Martin. Prochnow was, of course, the U-boat commander in Das Boot...I HATE SEEING GOOD ACTORS WADING IN s**t! Stormship Troopers was fun in all it's badness because there wasn't any real actors to feel sorry for...except maybe Michael Ironsides, but he IS a B movie star. I enjoy watching the new guys, i.e. wannabes, earn their chops in dreck like this, but I just can't sit idlely by and watch proven actors go down the s**tter with thier starcrusiers. I know they're actors and they do it for the money...but geeze...it's annoying as hell!
Some old nobody
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Would somebody please contact Freddie's current make-up person, and advise them to remove the spirit gum from Freddie's forehead?  You know, the stuff that was left there during the shoot of WING COMMANDER?  You know what I'm talking about - the stuff that kept Freddie eyebrows arched high over his forehead throughout the entire movie?  Freddie looked like he was suffering from a gastrointestinal problem during the whole movie.
Akira Tubo
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2002, 10:41:32 PM »

Holy moly!  The Kilrathi are CHUDs!
D
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This part got cut out, but it turns out that Gerald was a spy, and Blair stabs him to death with his Pilgram cross, that's how he lost it.

Believe in yourself, believe in rock n roll!
PV2 Mudshark
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Thank you for rightfully bashing this peice of crap!
The sad part about this film is how fast Chris Roberts irreverseably destroyed both careeres as a game/movie producer.
When the original Wing Commander Games came out, they were fun. In WC3, back in the day FMV (full motion video) was popular, actors like  Mark Hamill (as Blair), Malcome McDowel (as Tolken), and Biff from Back to the Future (Maniac) steped in as the games protagonists. They did a pretty decent job, and though a dumb love triangle thing was attached, the game plot was NOT AS PAINFUL as the film. Hell, the Kilrathi had their own main characters! And did'nt look all green and glowie eyed 'n crap!

That and the starfighters in this film looked more like flying kegs beat with an ugly stick than anything that was in the computer games. Aside from the title, and the names of the characters, this movie is far removed from the games themselves. SO BAD! BAD! BAD MOVIE!
CURSE YOU CHRIS ROBERTS, AND YOUR WWII SUB MOVIE REFERENCES THAT MAKE NO SENSE (esspecialy in space)!
Neville
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I actually wanted to see this one. I mean, I heard it was terrible, but it has Saffron Burrows, so I was almost ready to take the change. Thanks to save my sanity, Andrew.

By the way, I found terribly sad that Chris Roberts, who managed to mix cinema-style and gaming so well in lots of great games (my personal favourite: Strike Commander) has ruined his future so fast. I mean, the guy looked talented and certainly he could have done much better than this.
Dano
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Is Freddie Prinze Jr the first actor in history to become famous for a smirk?  There has to have been someone before him, but it's not coming to me.
Canadaphile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

No, Freddie won't be the first one famous for a smirk--Bruce Willis beat him to it!

I'm no SF fan, but this movie completely sucked.  However, I got a big laugh out of Andrew's totally outraged fanboy review of it.  Gotta love those geeks!
Schirm
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2003, 09:01:44 PM »

The fact that Freddie Prinze gets paid to make movies and gets to have sex with Sara Michelle Geller just proves that there is no god!
Bheliom
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

At first I was craving to get to see the damn thing, since I was (am) a big fan o.t. Game.

When it finally hit the cinema´s here in Germany I went straight to the Theathre... and suffered.

I mean, c´mon... ONE f**king fighter type? O_o

The Story was all in all better then I feared it would be, bvut the worst of it all (for me) was the German Translation. I got the chance to Watch it once more in Original English, wich made a WORLD of a Difference. The entire Story suddenly made more sense, making me almost forget how bad they did the Killrathi´s (For the love of God... LEATHERY skin? O_o They were All furred in ALL the games!).

All in all I still regret that I ever spend a single coin to see this... sad piece of work.

cheers

Bheliom
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw five minutes of this, and it isn't even enjoyable to laugh at, it's just dreay, cheap, and cliched.
"Zero Stars"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wing Commander « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.