Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:52:15 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Message from Space « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Message from Space  (Read 109478 times)
Swamprat
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

It's Ultraman meets the Jedi! Sushi burners without giant fire squirting lizards just ain't worth a sqaut. I saw this on cable a long-long time ago, in a galaxy far-far away. The glowing walnuts, without a doubt, were highly symbolic of something...I guess one has to be Japanese to know what the hell it was. I always feel a twinge of pain for American actors like ol' Vic Morrow who find themselves in these ripoff foreign films in quest of a buck...This film needed a lizard, or at least something in a rubber suit besides the common astrojaps spouting comic relief lines. I know I've seen this film at least a half dozen times, not counting all the times I've caught bits and pieces of it...I still can't comprehend the plot, or even most of the individual scenes. With a giant lizard you know what's going on...he's big, he's p**sed, he's radioactive, he's p**sed, he's on his way, he's p**sed, and for some reason he seems to hate the Japanese...Tokyo residents inparticular...and he is p**sed. The Japanese are small and polite...and they run like hell as thier plastic tanks and aircraft go up in smoke. Now that's a Sushi burner! Message from space is far below par for even the lowest of the Jap-Sci-Fi efforts. If you like the usual example of these movies, you may be amused...or disappointed...I for one, can watch it if I have someone there with me who hasn't seen it before...just to do the MST treatment along the way.
Gutter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I cannot bring myself to dislike this movie. Sure it has many downsides (including the cheese factor) but having Vic Morrow there (even if its a sign of HASBEEN) and the mix of Star Wars and 7 Samurai  just brought it together. Hate me all you like for liking this movie but Id take it any day to the horrendous EPISODE's I-III.
Hiker
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Notice the spherical structures with the guns coming out of the sides?  

Do they remind you of anything from, say, "Attack of the Clones?"

Hmmm....
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

George Lucas also showed his characters bogging about in the vacuum of space with only respirators, in "Empire"...
polly
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie is on all the pay channels right now it seems so i've watched it some . And my opinion is this : this movie is like star wars in more than visuals . When u 1st see it you're like "wow " . Then the 2nd time you're thinking "hmmmm" . 3rd time you're going "errr what the..." just like most people did with star wars . I realize i'm gonna get flamed for saying that about star wars but i don't care . The movies just aren't that great.
Dodes
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Geez, I remember dad taping War of the Worlds at the start of a video, and then this at the end... must have watched it like 5000 times... when i was that young, i didn't even consider that it was anything like star wars... no wonder i couldn't stop watching it...
Anything goes
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I haven't seen this movie.  But I still remember the spinoff serie, San Ku Kai, somewhat (I say somewhat) popular in Quebec in the 80's.  I enjoyed it quite a lot, it was all about people fighting each others and a giant cristal ship.  Silly, but enjoyable.  
Matt
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 08:46:39 PM »

I ruined my tv by throwing up on it after seeing this movie (yes, the movie made me sick). God, what an awful piece of work. A wannabe Star-Wars from Japan, made a year after, with a $100,000 budget.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

How interesting that the film features a sailing ship in outer space, as 15 years previous to this, I remember that in "Planet of the Apes" by Pierre Boulle, there is a sailing ship in outer space.
And almost 15 years after this, on "Star Trek: Deep Space 9," Benjamin Sisko (Avery Brooks) and his son would build a sailing ship and sail it through outer space from Bajor to Cardassia.
And there is a sailing ship in "Treasure Planet." Enjoy!
Andrew
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Is this movie also called "ACORNS FROM SPACE"??? Cause I remember borrowing a video called that, which sounds exactly the same as this.. Weird
Brian D
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

i have loved this movie for years, and haven't been able to get a good clear copy of it yet...

If, by chance, anyone out there happens to have digital cable and wants to make a few bucks by selling me a copy of it, i'd be more than happy to oblige... Drop me a line!
Matt Petty
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

There was an old puppet series called StarFleet, which had a bad guy dressed exactly like the one here. Plus a princess, sailing ship, ape-like bodyguard, converting ship,  etc etc.
Top stuff.
a human
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 10:28:27 AM »

brilliant, compelling, magical , love the  giant hovering ship ,anyone got the soundtrack?!
James Perry
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This is fun stuff.  IF...you are a fan of the Japanese movie episodes of MST3K like Fugitive Alien and Godzilla VS MegaGodzilla.  It's actually a lot of fun when it's not a bit boring.  I was interested in how Vic Morrow ended up in it...?
Liz
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie is a hoot. Great special effects for '78, excellent costumes and even a plot. The dialog is hilarious. I can't wait to own a copy of this. I think there should be an "Ed Wood" award given.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Message from Space « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.