Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:16:03 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Motel Hell « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Motel Hell  (Read 52026 times)
Riff-raff
« on: March 31, 2003, 12:30:13 PM »

Yikes.  Just yikes.  Any movie that ends with a chainsaw duel and a man in a pig mask is ok by me.
Jeff
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

A great classic from the 80's - not to be missed. There really needs to be a Special Edition dvd for this movie.
Jim Hepler
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I liked this.  The one thing missed in the review though is the cliches.  TONS of them.  Even the heroine on the buzzsaw, for cryin out loud!

And the chainsaw duel was pretty good, but by FAR the best one in cinema history is in a not-so-well-known Chow Yun-fat Hong Kong flick called Tiger On Beat.  That movie is easily worth the price for the final 15 minutes alone.
MessiahMan
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Whoo!  First!  (Sorry..spent too much time at gamefaqs)  I rented this movie not too long ago.  Though I thought it kind of slow, it was definitely worth the time I put into it, and I have seriously thought of purchasing the DVD several times.  I was partial to the scene where they put the ropes around the herd's neck and proceeded to hypnotize them (I forget what implement they used, though...).  It was hilarious looking at the people's faces follow the motions the mystery thing.  I loved the chainsaw duel, too.  How often do you see something like that, I ask!  This flick is a true gem.
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ah, the first thing I've been sent for free.  The website is starting to pay off (*cheap plug* www.cinemasodomy.com).
The only question raised is, do people really not mind if you just slap random bumper stickers on their car without asking?  I'm going to have to try that.
ChrisB
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Quite a departure from director Connor's previous film, Arabian Adventure, but that had its doses of black humour too!
I notised John Ratzenburger is in there too as one of the band. He was in several of Connor's 'Lost World' films from the seventies before joining Cheers.
Ed L.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 06:48:51 PM »

Chainsaw Fu!   This movies was one I cought years ago on late night TV.  It always stuck with me.  
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Further proof that if you are an upright, outstanding citizen, you'll seldom be the victim in a horror film. As it is usually the drug users and the sexually promiscuous who become the victims. The horror genera. One of the most morally conservative of the film generas. Enjoy!
James Perry
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

When I was too young (about 13) to be watching this my 2 cousins had me watching this anyway on cable TV.  I had NEVER seen anything remotely like it.  My speed was Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc.  It was almost a coming-of-age thing.  Even the films one nude scene (I think one) was a surprize because my cousins didn't mention it until it happened.  The scene with the people planted in the garden was absolutely SHOCKING!  Something so terrible, yet I was sitting there with my 2 cousins laughing our head's off!  I remember bragging to friends that I saw this.  Telling them about the sign going from MOTEL HELLO to MOTEL HELL, etc.  Since then I've come to appreciate movies like this for what they are.  I bought this last year (DVD with the hair-raising DERANGED on the reverse side) and watched it for the first time in about 20 years.  I remember it being better...but it was still fun.  There's nothing quite like seeing a film like this or maybe DAWN OF THE DEAD for the first time.  So shocking...scary as hell...but soon it sort fo wears off.  How do you top it?  Last truly scarey film I saw was Blair Witch Project.  (Feel free to disagree as to it's scary-ness).  Sixth Sense was good but far from scary.  Signs just wasn't.  I'd like that feeling again when I first saw MOTEL HELL!  
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

After missing seeing this once on television, I finally got a chance to see it.

The Good
It gave B-movie actor, Rory Calhoun, one of his best roles.

The Bad
It was the PG-13 stripped down television version. Not the R rated theatrical version.

The Good
It was rated for all the right reasons: sex, language, violence. Everything that makes life worthwhile.

The Bad
After reading this review, before seeing the movie, there wasn't many surprises.

The Good
The writing. The film was surprisingly well written. I especially like "We better look for a place to crash."

The Bad
Some of the scenes didn't make too much sense. You think somebody would have dug themselves out of the ground, before this.

The Good
The lighting. Alot of today's horror films are so dark, that you can't tell what is going on. That was never the case for this film.

The Ugly
"TV Guide" gave this film only 1 slime. And that is the problem with horror films. And it is not the fault of the films, but of mainstream reviewers. With the occasional exception of "A Rosemary's Baby" or "An Exorcist." Horror films don't get the respect they deserve.

The Good
Wasn't that film clip from "Monster That Challenged the World," which I believe also is reviewed at this site?

The Ugly
It never ceases to amaze me, what is censored out and left in. In "Lair of the White Worm," it was "I'm not into headbanging."--"Are you into any sort of banging?" Here, it was the nudity (the girl in her birthday suit) and the sex (the whip cracking), but, most of the violence was left in, in both films.

The Good
Towards the end, the film really developed a genuinely creepy atmosphere.

The Good
It was quite funny. I especially liked the "Perils of Pauline" moment. In "The Perils of Pauline," the heroine is threatened by a buzz saw in the sawmill. Here, the heroine is threatened by a meat saw in a smokehouse.

The Good
The chainsaw fight. What a difference a dozen years make. The only other chainsaw fight I know about, is in 1968's "Dark of the Sun." And there were all kinds of compplaints that it was too violent. Yet this one was far more violent, then that one, and there are no complaints.

Enjoy the film. I did.
HardPressed
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Trivia bit: Just for kicks I watched the DVD of this with the Spanish audio track, and either that's Rory Calhoun doing his own Spanish-language audio loop, or the world's most gifted bilingual mimic. Both Mr. Calhoun and the woman who loops for his sister manage to do fluent Spanish with a midwestern American twang, which is pretty hilarious considering that the number of twangy midwesterners who can speak fluent Spanish is just about nil.

(Off-topic: Try Return of the Living Dead in Spanish. The acting's much better.)
Dan Lyon
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Motel Hell is the feel-good family funfest flick of the year. Starring Rory Calhoun, a regular guy on the street that was 'discovered'... what better way to become a successful actor? The basis of the film is amongst the best as it taps into natural paranoia. What if the waiter spit in my food ? What if the Baker is a jerk-off ? What if this tasty Snausage is ground-up Trailer Trash ? Life is full of the unexpected and so is Motel Hell. MH played in October as part of a week-long Monsterfest marathon on a cable tv channel that fancies itself to be, well, fancy. Jerk that I am, wide awake at 3a.m. getting MH onto vhs tape (I'll do what I got to do to get my gore - don't judge me) and these sunsab***hes had the balls to cut sections out of Motel Hell. Pencil-necked pimp-sticks that edit Classic Movies to fit between sponsor rants about cola and college girls flashing their titties on spring break truely need to carefully examine their life path. Motel Hell is a great flick; the Fat Sister is way too scary at too many levels - this could have been any movie and that actress would scare me, she heap big wummin - and of course everyone's favorite postal delivery man is in one of his earliest film appearances. To think - Cliff (not his real name) Clavin used to hang and party with the likes of Jimi Hendrix - ain't life strange ? Yes, when Motel Hell is being cut to ribbons (sorry) when it's playing at 3a.m., life is strange. Oh well. Beg borrow or steal a real copy of Motel Hell and wake the kids up. Bon appetit !  
Todd Shields
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This movie made me hungry!
And anything showing a young girl getting tied up is okay in my book.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 05:24:35 PM »

a true cult classic! One of my favorites of all time! Ida and Farmer Vince are the perfect pair.
SRBoone
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I've partaken of Farmer Vincent's fritters quite a few times now and they are still delicious after twenty years. Its a loopy and none-too-serious treatment of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" that is carried by the charming performances of Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons. You never woulda thought dueling chainsaws and offing lowlifes could be so fun.

This is a classic of 80's trash that is so sweet-natured and well-acted you can't help but want seconds, and thirds, and fourths, and fifths...........

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Motel Hell « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.