Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:35:37 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Land that Time Forgot « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Land that Time Forgot  (Read 49333 times)
John
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 01:47:37 AM »

I know the stopping power of rifles in WWI and to a large extent WWII. Were some seriously high stopping power weapons. In WWI the rifle round was designed to start to spin like a saw blade once it entered the body. A typical Browing Automatic Rifle stills works better today 80 years after it was made. Than many modern rifles.
So does the M-14 with it's loner range, it's 7.62 round, and reliability in a dirty enviroment. Now they are being brought back into use since they are what is needed in Iraq. I could see them killing dinosaurs with them in certain cases. Now as far as distilling goes. Many people back then had a lot more practical skills than we do today. Many farmers knew how to distill wood alcohal. To run their tractors back in the day. Things like that. To distill wood alcohal you need to boil a certain amount of plant matter to a certain about of water (I for get how much off hand) boiled for 24 hours. I'm sure if they worked in a U-boat that it would not be impossible for them to know how to distill petro. The thing is though. As an aside. In WWI it was the German practice to give the ship a chance to surrender.
The crew was allowed to take all they wanted into the life boats. The ship sunk. And the Germans would tell the other side where to find the men in the life boats. A different world back then to be sure.   Lookingup 
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »

There are a couple of times that the party fires on dinosaurs, but I would assume some of the German rifles were meant to be Mausers.  I did not try to examine them closely.

Well since it's a Luger pistol that is last to be fired into the Allosaurus by Bradley before it collapses, it appears as if (their primitive nervous systems nothwithstanding) it fires the fatal shot, so that's what I thought you meant.

My only question was Lisa's nationality.  I am not certain if it was ever established.

She's British. When she and Von Schoenvorts are discussing biology at one point she mentions, "German metaphysics," and he replies, "British Imperialism." Anyway I thought her accent would've been a dead giveaway. Twirling

EDIT: Speaking of Lisa and Von Schoenvorts, in the book, they know one another because they were engaged to be married (!). And also Von Schoenvorts is a real dick in the book, too, so much so that eventually one of the German crew members bayonets him because he whipped the guy in an earlier scene for accidentally hitting him.

The novel is extremely un-PC about the Germans, but I guess that's a product of when it was written. In the book, there are a lot more survivors of the sinking but the U-bout crew goes around machine-gunning them (!!!). Also in the book, Bradley and his guys are not crew of the ship that the sub sinks but rather the crew of a fishing boat that happens by and picks up Bowen and Lisa, then they board the U-boat (I forget how and why the fishing ship is sunk; I think it rams into the sub and sinks).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 08:43:51 PM by Kooshmeister » Logged
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 01:59:55 AM »

I saw part of "The Land That Time Forgot" on TV when I was wee, starting about when the sub enters Caprona up to the allosaur slaying, I think.  Even though she told me I'd already seen the best part, Mom rented me the VHS the next time we went to the video store and ... the entire thing was actually kind of boring.  Mom was right: that really was the best part.

Some years later, when I was 11 or 12, I stumbled across a movie called "The People That Time Forgot".  Could it be -- a sequel to that movie that should have been better than it was?  Mom outright refused to rent it.  Seems that she'd seen it back in the 70s and its wretchedness still stuck with her.  I never got to see it because that video store closed.

But, thanks to the wonders of DVD, I got both "... That Time Forgot" movies for about $10.00.  In widescreen!  Haven't watched them yet, but this review has stirred me.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »

Despite the low budget, this film is very entertaining. How can you not like seeing people fight green-screened handpuppets?
Flu-Bird
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 12:28:01 AM »

Saw this movie on TV can remeber the part where the pteradactyle makes munches of the caveman BURP
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »

Deitz is portrayed by Anthony Ainley, who is best known for appearing as the Master on Doctor Who during the 1980s. Admittedly he's not easy to recognize without the goatee, but put pictures of him from the two production side by side and the resemblance pops out.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Land that Time Forgot « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.