Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:19:08 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Journey to the Seventh Planet « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Journey to the Seventh Planet  (Read 42691 times)
Scaarge
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Even though the reviews all say this is a mediocre film, the premise sounds really cool, as well as the description of brain-driven action.  Having seen the film, I can say it's pretty mediocre.  One sign of my need for new glasses is that I read the following sentance...

"Even Don goes, after fighting off a couple of random tarts from his sordid past."

...and I thought it said "farts."  And I thought, hey, I don't remember that at all!
Chris Schneider
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Although this is a pretty goofy B-Movie in retrospect, like Scaarge said, the premis is good. Maybe if they get a director-producer with talent, they could do a better remake. Who that may be these days, don't ask me.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

When I said I had yet to see this film, I'll take that back. I think I may have seen this film. It is just that it is not a film that is so bad one remembers it, nor is it a film that is so good one remembers it, it is just a film that is so mediocre that one forgets one has seen it, almost as soon as one has seen it.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Good. A new review. For a film I have yet to see, but I enjoy reading the reviews anyway.

It never ceases to amaze me, how optimistic these early sci-fi films were. Space exploration did not bring peace to the planet. Mankind has yet to set foot on Mars, let alone Uranus. And the U.N. does not rule the planet, which no doubt, makes alot of Americans happy.

As always, looking forward to the next new revue.
Max Gardner
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I suspect they say "Ur-Ah-Niss" for the same reason people back in the fifties and sixties used to pronounce the word "robot" as "rowbet."
Marty B
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

There's been a movement in the astronomy world to call it "Ur-Ah-Niss" since the 1960s, and it's rare to find anyone in astronomy who says "Your-anus."  Isaac Asimov wrote a column in which he pointed out that "Ur-Ah-Niss" isn't much of an improvement, since it sounds a lot like a word meaning "smelling of urine."  
john
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 05:43:28 PM »

the spider footage is so good it made me cry.  Love that clay cyclops t-rex!!
Mona B
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I just found out about this site and i already like it so much.
This particular review made me laugh to tears !
The reviews are so good and funny there's almost no need to see the movie ! thanks for the sample footage, soundtracks and photos... I keep singing "the 7th planet song" under the shower - so funny... "like lovers do..." - the lyrics make ab-so-lu-te-ly no sense, that's all their charm i believe.
Russ
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I remember watching this movie on Saturday afternoons in the 60's on our 17" B&W RCA Console television that received only 3 stations... NBC, CBS, and ABC.  

I remembered it so well, that while shopping Best Buy a few months ago, I saw it setting there as a double feature with Invisible Invaders.  Well, I just had to snatch it up.  I've watched it several times... in fact I'm watching it as I type this... since then, and I've never grown tired of it.

I would rate this a 8 of 10 for a rainy Saturday Afternoon, just behind Forbidden Planet, and the entire first season of Lost in Space.

Russ

mike52t
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Life on Your-anus. Heh heh heh, C'mon say it with me...
Wonko the Sane
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I, like many of you, have this on the companion DVD with "Invisible Invaders".  Those two movies have led to by intense fandom of John Agar, who I think is the greatest classic era (read: before my birth, in the 1980's) B-Movie actor there was.

A friend and bandmate of mine, Lee, just love this movie, and quote many of John Agar's best lines often ("Yes sir . . ." - it's all in the delivery, with the smirk).  

JTTSP is wonderful for other reasons.  It's amazingly colorful, for one thing.  Holland as Uranus makes me happier than a teeny-bopper during 'Gilmore Girls'.  And, of course, the beautiful, bimbo women.  Don't get me wrong, in real life I prefer smart, non-blonds (like my girlfriend); but for a campy sci-fi picture, these dames are the tops.

Then, of course, there's the spider.  Goodness, how I love it so, in all it's hand-made glory.  The pulsing brain is one of the trippiest head villans I've run across.  And the dinosaur is almost too beautiful to be described in words.  I know some Dr. Pepper was projected from my nose the first time I watched that scene.

Lee and I still sing the JTTSP theme every now and then, when we want everyone else to be confused.  We've even toyed with covering it.  Maybe the B-side could be "The Blob" theme.

Ah, yes, I love this movie - like a Trekie love Seven of Nine.  Except, I don't love this movie sexually.  Oh, never mind.

If anyone knows a cheap place to find more great late Sixties / early Seventies campy sci-fi films, e-mail.  I could always use more.  Especially with John Agar.
Old Alan
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm so old that I remember when this movie first came out. I was in high school, talking to a friend about it. I told him the title and he asked, "What's it about?" I told him it was about a rocket ship that goes up to Uranus. He told me in no uncertain terms that no rocket ship was going up his anus!
Herb Gundy
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Nice site. I grew up in the 50's and early 60's and I remember lots of these films from the local theater and later, the drive-in theater.

Kudos on the tons of work that goes into a site like this.
Thomas
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Watch the helmets during the "snowsand" scene   The faceplates clearly have no bottom on them, they might keep sand out of your eyes but they would have a tough time holding in oxygen
Glenn Becker
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

OK ... I'm going out on a silly limb here for the sake of validating (or not) a strong childhood memory. I recently saw this gem again after a gap of, oh, perhaps 35 years. Agreed, this is one BAD movie, but there were things that charred this young boy's mind, for whatEVER reason.

The thing I remember the most vividly is Karl being basically eaten by the brain-creature, near the end. In my old old OLD memory banks, the memory-film runs like this: Karl runs toward the creature, then things get hard to see, but you can hear these _really_ horrible screams from Karl. THEN you see the wavery, dissolving outline of Karl imprisoned within the brain-blob and the immortal kid-scorching line "Buried! Buried within it!"

OK. When I sat down and watched this thing the other night, it turned out that /most/ of my memories were dead-on correct: the icky screams, the difficult-to-interpret visuals (I mean, really, I could make NO SENSE of the various shots of the brain creature as Karl is gurgling and supposedly "consumed"). I was even spot-on about the "Buried!" line, etc. But there was /no/ shot of Karl within the brain-thing & consequently my adult mind found the whole sequence confusing ... more confusing, apparently, than my child's mind did!

Is it possible that there was some editing done? Does anyone else have this memory? Part of the impetus for my posting is having just read that, at some point, Melchior edited some things out of the film. So ... I wondered ...

I could just be confusing this with the scene in Pink/Melchior's _Angry Red Planet_ when the annoying "Sam" is gulped down by the giant amoeba?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Journey to the Seventh Planet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.