Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:24:46 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Lepus « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Night of the Lepus  (Read 48632 times)
IT
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:42:57 PM »

Who ever thougth that giant rabbits would make scary monsters needs to have thier heads checked.A terrible movie.
David Fullam
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Oh, to have been in on the producers meeting where this film was greenlighted. "Giant, killer Rabbits? We haven't done that before, let's roll with it!" What a classic. If you don't have the DVD then go get it!
Fox Of Nod
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 06:26:44 AM »

OMFG WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David Lee Ingersoll
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I loved this movie enough to do <a href="http://www.kaijuphile.com/fannest/gallery/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=5">fan art</a>. What's not to love about giant man-eating bunnies!
TheMark
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

One can only imagine what the movie "Them" could have been if the writers of this film had had a hand in it...

Dr. Medford: Then we pour cyanide gas into the rabbit hole and kill them.

Sgt. Peterson: But how can we be sure that we kill all of them?

Dr. Medford: We go into the rabbit hole and find out.

Agent Graham: Or what? The giant rabbits will twitch us to death and eat our vegetables?
Happenstance
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Note in the pictures: these ravenous, man-eating rabbits maul people to death--and promptly abandon the body. The rabbits weren't interrupted, either; they had all night to nibble on this guy.

"The Year Of The Angry Rabbit" (the novel on which this movie was..."based") was apparently a screwball political satire in which Australia declares war on the rest of the world (satire!) by unleashing its rabbit problem upon everyone else. The "rabbit problem" is mentioned in the movie's prologue, but like Arthur Herzog's "The Swarm," the connections with the movie pretty much end right there.

Check the IMDB: "Lepus" is the screenwriter's sole writing credit. Small bloody wonder, hah?

Bobby NYC
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Only Monty Python was able to make the idea of a kller rabbit work. This movie made me spit coffee through my nose it was soooooo dumb.

SimonC
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

That's what you find down disused mines? And I thought all the deads held up with now completely rotten wood was iffy enough.

Sounds like a good post-pub film.
Total Nut
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I saw this on T.V. years ago while staying in a hotel. One thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned in this review was the fact that it looked like they kept using the same footage over and over again to add length to the film while saving money. I swear I saw the same shot of the bunnies running under a bridge at least three times.
Muffin
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I hate it when people disgrace the dignity of rabbits like this. They're such beautiful animals, like miniature deer and/or horses.
Shonkin
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Thanks for some real great laughs. I vaguely remembered the movie and was talking with a friend about it. I pulled your site up. Not only was the review great (properly funny!)... Playing those sound clips had me nearly on the floor I was so out of breath... esp. the plaintive clip of the little girl as the guys go gunning for bunny... "Mommy! I... LIKE rabbits!" Oh, man, I'm laughing again as I type. And probably the best of 'em was "Attention! Attention! Killer rabbits heading this way!" Yes, some real wasted minutes here. Hehehehehe...
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:29:10 AM »

If this actually happened, if you were actually face to face with around twenty to thirty gigantic rabbits that you knew wanted to eat you, and your comparatively ineffectual shotgun wasn't going to help much.... would you still be laughing?

I still find it amusing that no one seems to think that giant rabbits would be a credible threat to human life. A giant anything can kill a person very easily, and what people seem to forget in a world where rabbits are constantly portrayed as cute and cuddly is that they do have sharp teeth and claws. If you take any animal with claws and sharp teeth, make them fifty feet tall (or however big the rabbits were), and turn them into meat-eaters, then they're going to be real trouble.

As for the movie itself, regardless of whether or not there's any potential in the idea of killer rabbits, this doesn't change the fact the entire thing is just poorly written. What bugs me the most is how everyone seems to roll with the idea of the killer bunnies without needing much convincing. Like, for example, when they enlist the aide of all those people at the drive-in. No one questions Officer Lopez's announcement. A truly clever script could still try to present the idea of giant rabbits as being dangerous, but also acknowledge the nearly universal view of them as cute and harmless by having one or two characters who find the whole thing laughable, only to die a horrible death when they underestimate the behemoth bunnies.

Unfortunately, the script isn't clever. At all. It's treated with such dead seriousness that nothing in it can be taken at all seriously. It just has absolutely no sense of humor, and doesn't seem to think anybody, anywhere would find the subject matter anything other than laughable. So, to me, the movie's crime isn't that it's a bad idea fundamentally, but rather that they totally underestimated (or perhaps overestimated) the audience's reaction. As I said before, practically everybody everywhere finds rabbits cuddly and harmless, and if you're going to use them as movie monsters you've got to touch on this in some way or else the entire thing will fall apart, and the same holds true for any animal normally perceived as cute.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:40:41 AM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 11:11:01 AM »

Um... okay.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 03:12:01 PM »

Hummm...i think thats a silent agreement with your point, Kooshmeister.
"Aw, come on. Rabbits? Killers? You gotta be kidding...AHHHH! Its got me! Arghhh!"
""I TOLD you!"

Its the deadpan acceptance of this cheeseeater that get it so riffable. The more seriously a movie takes itself, the more it sets up a riffing, when it fails.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Lepus « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.