Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:23:20 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does this make sense? (Links) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does this make sense? (Links)  (Read 14059 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 27, 2006, 12:42:40 PM »

I was thinking this over while running today.

These days, I get a few requests to exchange links every week.  I always look at the site and see what the webmaster has done, both to understand the content and to find out how long the site has been online.  Pretty often, there are less than ten reviews and it looks like the site is less than a month old.  My normal reply, if the site is very new, is to give any feedback and constructive criticism ("this looks good" or "maybe a clear navigation system" - etc.) and ask that they email me again if they are still actively maintaining the site in a little while.

I do not do this to be difficult or anything.  It is just that, by my experience, more than half of the sites will only survive for a month or two before the webmaster gets bored with it.  You are left with a website (often on geocities or some other free service) that has maybe six reviews and a bunch of sections that redirect to "Coming Soon" pages.  Not exactly the sort of place I would recommend, which is how I see the links.  They are a recommendation to visitors.

My only worry is discouraging people.  I want those webmasters to stay motivated and write more reviews and articles.

Anyway, throwing it out there for discussion, if anyone has any thoughts.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 01:28:11 PM »

One of the best places on the internet to place a link to one's site is on this forum in one's sig (not that I really abuse that privilege myself...ahem).

Trying to encourage a webmaster, even if their site is not that well developed yet, and providing constructive criticism is a lot more than what many webmasters will provide as feedback when they reject a link request (I so love form letters with a list of generic reasons from which I can pick my favorite). Some webmaster forums can outright be cruel places to get feedback and suggestions from webmasters who have no time for newbies (my newest site seems to have been universally voted as the damn ugliest site they have seen).

If it is a movie related website, and they need a link, feedback, and even encouragement, the best place I can recommend for that is this forum. They can place their link in a 'Visit My Site' post and in their sig, which is a hell of a lot more crawlable and search engine friendly than a lot of other places where they can put a link. This additionally gives them an opportunity for feedback from the members of the board. It also provides a think tank to inspire them to write reviews and come up with ideas they can implement into their own site.

I have taken reviews I have written for the board and placed them on my sites. I have even gotten ideas for articles to write from some of my replies to others questions (no, not really overly long replies...ahem).

The board provides a great place to share rough drafts as well (I have not done that yet, but I think it would provide excellent feedback).

If you want to be supportive to a fledgling webmaster, send them to the board. It can't hurt, and it will most certainly provide several tools they can use.

Just in case anybody is is actually reading this, I am wanting a small graphic (somewhere around 40x100, give or take), like an award certificate, which I can place on the CargoShip proclaiming it to be the winner of the Damn Ugliest Website Award. I am serious. I offer nothing in return for this service (of course I want it for free), but you will have the satisfaction of having helped me out (yes, you can live with that) and seeing it on my site for every one of your 50 daily visits to the site. TeddyR
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »

Just in case anybody is is actually reading this, I am wanting a small graphic (somewhere around 40x100, give or take), like an award certificate, which I can place on the CargoShip proclaiming it to be the winner of the Damn Ugliest Website Award. I am serious. I offer nothing in return for this service (of course I want it for free), but you will have the satisfaction of having helped me out (yes, you can live with that) and seeing it on my site for every one of your 50 daily visits to the site. TeddyR

Here's a throw-together. If you like it, feel free to use it. If you don't, feel free to ignore it.

It would probably look better slightly larger, but this one meets your specifications.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Menard
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 01:38:36 PM »

That's awesome! Thank you.

If you have it available a little larger, I could try it and see if it fits well (probably will as there's plenty of space at the bottom).

Check it out, it is at the bottom of the page.

I proudly proclaim my site to be damn ugly. TeddyR
(okay, so several webmasters already beat me to that proclamation)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 02:28:28 PM »

Glad you liked it. Here it is a bit larger (175 x 70). See what you think.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Menard
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:19:18 PM »

Looks great. I have updated the site with the larger certificate.

Proud to be ugly. TeddyR
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »

Hey Menard, I solved your wormhole "Hacker Puzzle"...what do I win?   TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Menard
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »

Hey Menard, I solved your wormhole "Hacker Puzzle"...what do I win?   TeddyR

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does this make sense? (Links) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.