Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:04:46 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Journey to the Center of the Earth (1988) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Journey to the Center of the Earth (1988)  (Read 2039 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 27, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »

I recently purchased two versions of "Journey to the Center of the Earth."  One was a 1976 production called "Fabulous Journey to the Center of the Earth" and that turned out to be fairly entertaining.  It had a strange time traveling/clone bit thrown in out of nowhere to boot. 

The one of the two that caught my attention (in the same manner that a child drawing on the wall attracts your attention), was the 1988 version.  You have this English nanny, older teenager or twenty-something, who is brought to Hawaii to babysit a dog.  Once there, she accidentally joins up with two brothers and a little girl.  They become trapped in a cave during an eruption and find themselves forced far beneath the surface, so far that they discover Atlantis.  Now, Atlantis reminds me of the fantasy world created for the dinosaur descendants in "Super Mario Bros."  Suddenly, the film ends with an extended music montage, leaving you wondering what the heck was the point.  It was literally cut off, before any sort of major plot resolution had been accomplished.

Anyway, there are two possibilities that I can think of.  One is that this was the pilot for a failed television series.  The other is that they began making the movie, ran out of money, and tried to salvage something by cobbling together what had been finished.

Oh, did I mention the weird dream that the younger brother has?  He discovers the others are captives of weird monsters (think muppets) and comes to their aid like some sort of kung fu warrior.  This is done as nonviolently as possible.  Imagine the kid running through the monsters, while they raise their hands up in the air and get frustrated about not being able to catch him.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:40:24 PM »

Hey Andrew, check out the IMDB page for the 1989 version you describe. One of the directors (Rusty Lemorande) posted a comment about the film. Only 8 minutes of it are Journey to the Center of the Earth, the rest is a sequel to Albert Pyun's "Alien in L.A." Seems they needed a quick movie to meet a contractual obligation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097630/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Flangepart

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:34:38 PM »

Hey Andrew, check out the IMDB page for the 1989 version you describe. One of the directors (Rusty Lemorande) posted a comment about the film. Only 8 minutes of it are Journey to the Center of the Earth, the rest is a sequel to Albert Pyun's "Alien in L.A." Seems they needed a quick movie to meet a contractual obligation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097630/

As soon as i read 'EMO PHILLIPS AS NIMROD" in the cast list, i know this is a promising cheese fest!...mind you, it could cause brain damage,and bladder problims, but hey...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:47:34 PM »

As soon as i read 'EMO PHILLIPS AS NIMROD" in the cast list, i know this is a promising cheese fest!...mind you, it could cause brain damage,and bladder problims, but hey...

I did not notice him when I watched the film, but caught his name in the IMDB credits too.  Weird.  Well, it is old enough he had probably not developed his present personality.  Plus, everyone in Atlantis wears weird costumes.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Journey to the Center of the Earth (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.