Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:43:46 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Unsolved Archives  |  A warrior gets speared in the back..? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A warrior gets speared in the back..?  (Read 13711 times)
kingcrow
New Visitor

« on: February 18, 2007, 09:17:51 PM »

Hi - this is a vague recollection of a film from very early childhood - i must have watched it in the early/mid 80's... I think it's from the sword & scorcery genre, possibly medieval/fantasy type... the warriors in the film looked like Vikings or similar.. but one scene has always stuck in my mind:  A hero from the film is plotted against and betrayed -  the method is that someone chalks a target (like a bullseye) on the back of his garment. Later, one of the betrayers (another warrior) uses this as aim and spears him in the back while the hero is drinking from a stream (??). Anyway his back was turned and he got speared - but being a 'mighty' warrior he staggers and just manages to turn, seeing his murderer before dying... Does this ring a bell with anyone? 
I also remember two other scenes in which there was a javelin/spear throwing competition between two people and (at the end of the film possiblly) a group of warriors having been sieged up or barracaded in a castle(?) open the gates and charge out.. it's entirely possible these could have been memories from other films though..

any help/leads much appreciated! - this has been an enduring mystery of mine :)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:30:17 PM by kingcrow » Logged
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:33:13 PM »

Not much help forthcoming for this one it seems.  One film I can tell you about is "Thor the Conquerer."  It is supposed to be a crazy barbarian movie and it has been on my "see this movie" list for a while.  (Every now and then I manage to scratch one off, like the suprising "Hundra.")

Also, maybe these IMDB keyword searches can help some:

http://www.imdb.com/keyword/viking/

http://www.imdb.com/keyword/barbarian/

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »

Possibility this could be a Martial Arts film too. Many of them have outright fantasy elements...do you recall if it might have been dubbed?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »

I wonder if this might not be BLOOD OF THE DRAGON (1973) which featuring a talented spear fighter? A darn good Martial Arts movie that one too. THE REVENGER (1979), another Martial Arts film, I believe has some scenes similar to those described as well.

Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:14:41 PM »

It sounds like a version of the Siegfried legend.  Siegfried was invulnerable after having bathed in the blood of a dragon he slayed, only a leaf fell on his back while  he was bathing in the blood, which left him vulnerable in that one spot.  He was killed by a spear to the back.

The IMDB lists a number of adaptations of the legend, so we'd need more info to narrow it down to just one, but it's likely a version of that tale.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 06:25:32 PM »

It's entirely possible some Kung Fu films may have simply ripped off this as a plot device. I'm almost positive THE REVENGER has some seqeunces like the ones described above.

Puzzled
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:50:13 PM »

The story of Siegfried also makes up the fourth story of Wagner's Ring Cycle also called "Gotterdammerung". Here's a wiki link to a summary of the story, which pretty exactly matches the OP's description. So I think we can safely say that it is either the story of Siegfried or some variation on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tterd%C3%A4mmerung

Here's an IMDB Siegfried search summary link

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Siegfried
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Unsolved Archives  |  A warrior gets speared in the back..? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.