Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:23:24 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Apartment Advice « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Apartment Advice  (Read 6583 times)
Susan
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »

My lease is up around May (i can't find my lease papers so i'll have to go get a copy to be sure). I'm debating on breaking my lease. There is a reletting fee of about $550 and I wouldn't have to pay rent on the remainder of the lease.

I could get out of the fee by showing documentation on my leak they never fixed in all th 3 years i've been here. The problem is i'm actually in violation of my lease because I have a cat i never told them about. But she's never scratched the carpet, so much as bent a single blind so she's done 0 damage. Probably best I don't pursue that, if they wander in my apartment without permission they might find her and I'd be in more of a mess.

Anyhow, There are some apartments up the road that quoted me cheap rates for square footage. More than i'm paying now but I'd have a bigger apartment than the going rate in this area. The lady said the rates will probably go up by at least $20 in spring. She also said that the best time to rent an apartment or have your lease up as in the winter when the rates are lower...but i can't do anything about that now. 

What I can't decide is if it's worth breaking the lease. $20 doesn't seem like much but if I end up staying there another year and they bump up the rent i would have wished I got in when it was at the cheaper rate. On the other hand I hate the idea of a reletting fee and basically having to chuck away my bonus on moving expenses. Or should i just stick it out until my lease is up

But a neighbor just told me not minutes ago she found 4 rats on her patio. I've never seen a rat, nor a single bug in my apt. I have seen a hole that has rained water in my living room. I had druggies next door to me who had a meth lab and got arrested, fought, caused me to get a security alarm. The area of town is very rich but my apts are....Tax bond exempt (basically a section 8). I didn't know that when I moved in. But each year they also ask for all my finances on paper so they can file them with their taxes. I mark out all my personal info and acct numbers, i'm very uncomfortable with that sorta thing.

I WISH I HAD A HOUSE! I guess i just need to vent. my fear is also getting an apartment that turns out to be worse than what i'm in now. Does anyone know if apartments share info on people who break leases..i don't want to end up on some "report" somewhere
Menard
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 06:13:21 PM »

But each year they also ask for all my finances on paper so they can file them with their taxes. I mark out all my personal info and acct numbers, i'm very uncomfortable with that sorta thing.

What right do they have to ask for your financial records, let alone file it with their taxes. Perhaps for section 8 renters who have their rent subsidized, but if you are paying your rent in full, then I don't see where they need, or have any reason to request such (IMO). It sounds to me like they are using a cheap excuse to keep tabs on residents.

Does anyone know if apartments share info on people who break leases..i don't want to end up on some "report" somewhere

Everybody shares info and there are probably several databases which are info specific. If you go into most any place, whether it is applying for credit or even a job, they can pull up your credit history.

I have been trying to find steady work. I don't know if my poor (okay, let's say sucky) credit history is keeping prospective employers from considering me or not; but you do see an awful lot of employers advertising that a credit check is part of their hiring procedure. I'd like to see some of these self-important bastards try to take care of an invalid for 5 years and maintain good credit when you can barely work; I'm certain the hospitalization didn't help either.

Unfortunately, we are in such an age where people in positions to help or hurt someone would rather read about you, and make up their minds based on a piece of paper, than offer you the simple decency of an in-person meeting.

Sorry to be a downer, but if you break a lease there is probably some data collecting service to which they report, or they can possibly attach it to your credit report (I don't know that for certain). I guess that there is the option of a lease buyout or just asking them if you can get out of the lease early (I have known some people who have done that and got it). If all else fails, you can let them discover your cat and give them the option of breaking the lease instead of you (as they always have that clause whether you do or not).
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:38:45 PM »

Generally, you will be on the losing end if you break a lease.  If you have lots of documentation, your best bet is to tell them that they are not living up to the lease and say you wish to break it without prejudice (then get it in writing, clear as day).  If not, then you can get your Attorney General's office involved - quite often they deal in landlord/tenant disputes.  From there, you can try to get the lease broken.  It will not be quick.

Breaking a lease is often more than just a single month of rent lost.  Check the lease carefully, because quite often you are liable for the full lease.  At the very least, up to the point that your landlord rerents the place and even then they will usually tack on charges for stuff like maintenance.

It is possible they know about your cat.  All depends on the landlord if they will make an issue out of it.  The cat would also be a reason you will not see rats or mice.  They will avoid your apartment, because of the kitty.

I cannot say what my response would be to their wanting my financial records, because it would be ugly.  I tend to hurt people's feelings when they really annoy me.  Just ask our last landlord company, who decided to sit on our security deposit for more than 60 days (New York does not have a set period before it must be returned).  Oh, the Attorney General's office might have some advice on them requiring you to provide financial information - that could be breaking the law.  I would at least check and see if it way, because it is such a BS thing to ask.

I would not break the lease, but work through it the right way.

As for a new place, there are a good number of tools.  Checking http://www.familywatchdog.us/ can usually help you determine if the area has a higher crime rate or people that might worry you (the site locates sex offenders living near an address).  Also, check out the area at different times, including later at night and on weekends.  If it is close, it shouldn't be a problem to cruise by a few times to see what it is like.  If your state or county has a landlord/tenant assistance office, they can probably tell you if there are any complaints about the leasing person or company.

May is not a terrible time to be looking for a place.  I would start my serious looking in March, if you plan to move in May.

15 years of moving a lot gives you some practice.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 02:09:47 AM »

Try try try to get into a situation where you're paying for your own property --
Whatever your credit rating may be, now is a time of ongoing foreclosures in the housing market & bargains & availability is out there --
Forget your credit history -- If you can demonstrate employment to some lenders, you can assume a mortgage on an existing property.
Don't pay any more rent!!
Our situation was "dire" seven years ago, but we found a lender & we have a place of our own -- NO landlord/NO one else but yourself to be accountable to -- AND we pay less per month for a mortgage on a whole house than we would now -- seven years later -- for rent on a crummy tiny apartment!!!
Don't waste time -- Just about ANYONE can be made eligible to buy.
peter j.

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Apartment Advice « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.