Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:00:05 AM
712939 Posts in 53041 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  B-Movie Film Vault Reviews "The Monster Squad." « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: B-Movie Film Vault Reviews "The Monster Squad."  (Read 14553 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: December 10, 2006, 02:40:13 AM »

"Wolfman's got 'nads!"  Boy, I still remember parts of this movie and it has been a while since I last watched it.  People email me about it every now and then too, often enough that I keep wondering why we have not seen a DVD release.

Jordan's review is here:
http://www.bmoviefilmvault.com/breviews/monster_squad.html

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
zombiedudeman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 02:55:34 AM »

I've alwyas wanted to see Monster Squad cause Night of the Creeps ruled. It's funny that the director's worst movie (Robocop 3) is the only movie of his that has an official DVD out at the moment.
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 04:14:51 AM »

Thanks for the plug Andrew, it's always very much appreciated.  TeddyR
Yeah it is odd that Fred Dekker's two best films are lost somewhere in DVD limbo whereas "Robocop 3" is easily available. As bad as Dekker's third (and thus final) film is, I have a soft spot for it. In fact, when I was younger, it was the main Robocop film of choice. It's amazing how foolish we are as children isn't it?

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 11:39:27 AM »

But Night of the Creeps and House are easy to find!

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 02:08:08 PM »

Yeah bootlegged DVD-R's of "Night of the Creeps" are very easy to track down online. (BUT BE CAREFUL!) The one I bought, though scratch free, did not work correctly in any of my players. And I couldn't get the defective disc taken care of because the seller was no longer selling the bootleg title and had none left. In fact, he's gone completely legit and is selling some really cool stuff at highly exorbitant prices including the Puppet Master Boxed Set, signed by Charles Band, the Subspecies collection, the Trancers collection, the Dollman & Demonic Toys Collection, and various Troma titles. In any case, it was sad to find out that the DVD did not work correctly (the entire third act of the movie freezes and skips with reckless abandon), especially since the disc included the alternate ending that takes place in a graveyard!

"House" was based on a story written by Fred Dekker and is easily available and worth getting. I love that flick! It had the right amount of humor and had some really cool old school monsters. Big Gen is the Man! (You ever notice that both "House" and "House II" both have appearances by actors from TV's "CHEERS?")  Cheers

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 03:06:34 AM »

Monster Squads original negative was apparently lost.  Still, they could release a DVD mastered from the widescreen Japanese LaserDisc is they really wanted to.  I know it'd sell pretty well, especially ultra-80s stuff being so in right now.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:52:34 PM »

I saw monster squad when I was a kid and thought it was a pretty good movie.  Is Night of the Creeps similar to it?

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 07:28:38 PM »

"Night of the Creeps" was designed for the teenage horror crowd, so it is a bit different.  I would suggest everyone give it a try.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Deathfeast
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »

i remember begging my parents too rent monster squad everytime we rented movies.
it would be nice to have in my collection now.
i actually have night of the creeps and agree with andrew that everyone give it a try.

Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »

It was going to be released on DVD a few years ago, but then got pulled over some rights issue.  I'm guessing it has to do with Universal's chokehold on several of the character likenesses.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 11:36:08 PM »

So this movie definately has the coolest looking creature from the black...I mean, Gillman and my favorite werewolf transformation of all time (the phonebooth scene)

God I adore this movie.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »

My son and I really loved this movie. We always laugh about Leonardo Cimino's character is never given a name and is even listed in the credits as Scary German Guy.

Yes, this is definitely one I'd like to see on DVD.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »

It was going to be released on DVD a few years ago, but then got pulled over some rights issue.  I'm guessing it has to do with Universal's chokehold on several of the character likenesses.

It's possible Universal pressed them on it, but their designs are actually quite different in most cases.  I also believe the Bela Lugosi look is now in the public domain, since the original film is more than 75 years old now.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  B-Movie Film Vault Reviews "The Monster Squad." « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.