Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:03:39 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You Want Obscure B-Movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: You Want Obscure B-Movies?  (Read 12296 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 10, 2006, 10:24:39 AM »

You want obscure B-movies?

CHECK OUT THIS SITE

I've surfed around this guy's site and from what I can tell...he seems like he's the real deal.

You want f*cked up movies that none of us have ever heard of?...he can get them.
Numerous genres such as, Nazi Nasties, Celebrity Sleaze and Hicksploitation."

Skaboi said that we are dangerous to his wallet.
This other site might be just as dangerous!
(and they've been in business for almost 10 years)

Scott...you might want to check out their Biker section.    TeddyR

Check out his site and let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:38:26 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:21:59 AM »

STILL no Dance of the Dwarfs on DVD

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
zombiedudeman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »

yeah that place is cool, they've had some titles I've been looking for like Lady Exterimnator, my friend ordered from them though and said it takes awhile. Some of those movies you can find an official release of though that's way cheaper.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:30:55 PM »

A James Batman movie! This site is a gold mine. Thank you Ash Thumbup Thumbup

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 07:41:16 PM »

STILL no Dance of the Dwarfs on DVD

www.videoscreams.com

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:26:32 PM »

Yeah, this guy is awesome, and he's a one person operation from what I've heard of him.  I'm planning an order from there after christmas, I need to get my hands on his translated International Guerillas.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 11:26:56 PM »

Another one of these sites that I hear from periodically is http://www.digitalconquestdvd.com/

I haven't tried them out, though.
These DVD-R thingies tend to be kind of expensive for what you get, and I'm not sure whether it's legal.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
zombiedudeman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »

Another one of these sites that I hear from periodically is http://www.digitalconquestdvd.com/

I haven't tried them out, though.
These DVD-R thingies tend to be kind of expensive for what you get, and I'm not sure whether it's legal.

most bootlegging sites are legal cause of The Berne Act

also forgot all about this guy too, he has some cool stuff
http://www.stumpydisks.com/
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 01:11:00 AM »

most bootlegging sites are legal cause of The Bernie Act

This is a common misconception.  From what I have seen, the belief is that the Bernie Convention allows the distribution of a film if it has not been released in a country.  In fact, the treaty operates the opposite way.  What it amounts to is countries stating that they will respect and protect the copyrights that are held in other treaty countries.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 01:16:49 AM »

Okay, so I'm a little confused now.  From my read of the Berne Convention here and here, I don't see how this makes bootlegging LEGAL.

IANAL, but it seems to me that what the Berne Convention does is:

(1) Provide a mechanism by which countries honor the copyrights of other signatory countries, and
(2) Protect copyrighted works for a specific period of time, the time which depends on the type of work (written vs photographic vs cinematographic).

Your specific use of the term "bootleg' leads me to assume you are talking about the copying and selling of PROTECTED works (ie, not past time of protection or not in the Public Domain), so how does this convention make bootlegging legal?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 02:49:00 AM »

Your specific use of the term "bootleg' leads me to assume you are talking about the copying and selling of PROTECTED works (ie, not past time of protection or not in the Public Domain), so how does this convention make bootlegging legal?

The term I've been seeing used, is "Second Generation" transfers. Wink

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 04:58:41 AM »

I ordered  Al Adamson"s SATAN's SADISTS with Russ Tamblyn ,the great I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, and the CRAMPS-LIVE at NAPA VALLY MENTAL INSTITUTION (which had loads of Cramps videos included on it!) from Shocking a few years back.Ordered a catalog through the now defunct Psychotronic video Magazine(rip). GREAT stuff!And the print catalog is fun to read as well!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombiedudeman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

Okay, so I'm a little confused now.  From my read of the Berne Convention here and here, I don't see how this makes bootlegging LEGAL.

IANAL, but it seems to me that what the Berne Convention does is:

(1) Provide a mechanism by which countries honor the copyrights of other signatory countries, and
(2) Protect copyrighted works for a specific period of time, the time which depends on the type of work (written vs photographic vs cinematographic).

I just use the term bootleg to mean 2nd (or anything above) generation copy. Revok, Vomit Bag Video, and Stumpy have been in business for years and the Berne Act has kept them safe...not unless they really are breaking the law and just have never been caught yet
http://www.revok.com/faq.html
http://www.stumpydisks.com/legal.html
http://www.vomitbagvideo.com/page1name.html (scroll down the bottom to the FAQ section, it mentions the Berne Act)
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »

Those websites are entirely wrong.  The opposite is true.  The Berne Convention is an agreement between nations that a copyrighted work in one nation will be considered a copyrighted work in another.  Before the United States became a member, you could do what they are saying.  Once the United States agreed to the terms of the Berne Convention, it became a breach of copyright if you distributed a film without authorization (providing that it was copyrighted in another nation that had signed the Berne Convention).

As I said, this is a common misconception.  In all honesty, it is because the websites have not done any research.  They continue to operate, because quite often the copyright holders cannot go chasing small time gray market pirates all over the globe.  Also, I am sure some copyright holders and distributors appreciate the gray market, as it "gets the word" out about a film and helps make an official release profitable.  (I have serious doubts the RIAA or MPAA believe in that idea.)

References

The entire Berne Convention:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/treaties/berne/overview.html

Wikipedia's entry, which is easy to understand:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

A number of countries have signed Berne, but their enforcement is a laugh.  Just look at the stuff that comes from S. Korea, China, and India.  Copyright infractions occur on a large scale.  On the other hand, I doubt that some factory in China is turning out 1000 pirate DVDs of "Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare" every day.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
zombiedudeman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »

wow, yeah I see they're definitley breaking copyright laws now. Most of the movies these people bootleg are so obscure that whoever owns the copyright for the movie probably forgot the movie exists (or regrets making those movies, there's a reason some of them are THAT obscure haha) so I guess that's why they get away with it for so long. The way the bootleggers explain the law sounds too good to be true as if starting a DVD company can be done overnight.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You Want Obscure B-Movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.