Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:45:45 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A Very Hot Topic? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Very Hot Topic?  (Read 14014 times)
Menard
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:43:58 PM »

I was taking a look at the legend at the bottom of the forum list and noticed that the very hot topic symbol was for a topic with 25 or more posts.

Is it my imagination or have the replies slowly shrank over the past year?

I remember when 25 replies was a lukewarm to moderate response to a post, and any topic started by Ash was assured to at least double or tripple that. Heck, if someone started a Mad Max/Road Warrior thread, we were bound to get at least 50 replies no matter how many times we had talked about it before.

And how the hell did Tom Cruise garner over 110 replies to a thread about him? I can recall several members just wishing that thread would go away.

Are the days of serial replies behind us? Drink

Has Ash lost his touch? Buggedout

Do we need to bring back Buffy Knight to get things ignited again?  hot

Or are things like they always were and we are just spreading ourselves out more rather than concentrating on old posts?  Cheers
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:27:26 AM »

I've noticed this too.
In 2003-2004, lots of threads got tons of replies.  Didn't matter who wrote them.
I've noticed that now, my own threads get a lot of views, but they don't receive the massive response that they used to.
Then again, I had a dry spell for quite awhile.

It's funny, I get most of my topic ideas out of thin air and usually while I'm at work.
I'll space out at my desk and think of all kinds of weird stuff to write about.
There are some things that I wish I could post...things that some people would like and some people may find inappropriate.  But I don't want to offend anyone and get booted from here so I abstain from writing them.  That cuts the number of topics I want to write about in half.
I try to write about everyday things that most people can relate to.
I'll join in on the occasional bad movie or film topic, but I live for the Off Topic threads.
Those are what I'm good at.

Another good thread writer is Susan, but she doesn't come around here very often anymore.
She was always guaranteed to get good response.

We may not be seeing as many responses because a lot of the old regulars haven't been around here and there a lot of new people...some who register but just don't post as much.
It's probably due to a number of reasons.

Some people have stated in the past that a lot of responses to a thread don't mean anything and that this isn't a popularity contest.
I tend to both agree and disagree with that.
This isn't a popularity contest.
But you have to admit, the threads that garner a ton of responses sure are fun to read and join in on!  Thumbup
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:18:13 PM by Ashthecat » Logged
dean

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:49:56 AM »

Yeah there's a few posters who have dropped off the radar slightly, who previously had more of an impact, such as Susan, who pokes her head in everynow and then and AndyC who had a reason [but I can't remember] as two more notables.  Of course since the new board change there's been quite a few new members, a bit of new blood which really seems to have jazzed up the board slightly. 

So bring it on!  Sure a few big posts here and there are fun, but I've been pretty happy with the rise in quality the last little while.  Not sure if it's the new bored members [yes that's what I wrote] the new board itself or just a psychological thing, but I've been feeling more and more like this community of bad movie lovers is coming together really well.  [*gush*]

But of course once more people watch Ash's video that may change!  TeddyR

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:35:38 AM »

Looking at it, I also think that one of the factors is there seem to be more topics now than we used to create.

We had also become a bit of the isolated group.  Overall, the old board (Phorum) was quite comfortable for us, but not intuitive for new visitors.  That could have turned away a fair number of new posters.  Requiring registration for posting also something that I hate, so that is another possible explanation.  Personally, I much prefer the CAPTCHA for guests and registration is optional.  It makes much more sense for someone who is looking for a movie or just wants to say hello.

Or, maybe Ash is becoming less controversial?  Naw...

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:42:05 AM »

Or, maybe Ash is becoming less controversial?  Naw...

So...you want me to amp it up a bit?
Hehe!
Just kidding.   Wink
Menard
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:06:50 AM »

So...you want me to amp it up a bit?
Hehe!
Just kidding.   Wink

Sure, go ahead.

It's been a little while since you've been in trouble with anyone  (trying to lay low huh?  TongueOut ).

We need to get another Ashfan on the board to start bringing all of your threads to the top (don't get any ideas, smart alec  TeddyR ).
Ash

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:34:22 AM »

Speaking of that guy who resurrected a bunch of my threads awhile back...

Just to set the record straight...
I have no idea who that guy was...
It was just some dude who took more than a liking to the stuff I've written here.

I've often wondered if some of you think that I had a friend do that.

No...I didn't have a friend write in....I honestly have no idea who that person was.

Check the I.P addresses if you don't believe me.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 08:14:58 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Menard
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »

Speaking of that guy who resurrected a bunch of my threads awhile back...

Just to set the record straight...
I have no idea who that guy was...
It was just some dude who took more than a liking to the stuff I've written here.

I've often wondered if some of you think that I had a friend do that.

No...I didn't have a friend write in....I honestly have no idea who that person was.

Check the I.P addresses if you don't believe me.

We already know from what IP address it came, and that IP address was subsequently blocked by Andrew.

No, nobody here thinks you had anything to do with it, and nobody is suggesting any such thing either.

We actually had someone else to come onto the board and claim that it was his little brother who did it and pleaded to have the block removed.

Didn't you use to have your user name in all capital letters? I just noticed that; I, for some reason, thought it was in all capital letters.
Ash

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:44:51 AM »

Yes...my screen name used to be all caps.
But I decided to change that.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:20:11 PM by Ashthecat » Logged
raj

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 01:03:32 PM »

Ash, you once had a friend?

(sorry, I couldn't resist it.)
Menard
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 01:15:54 PM »

Ash, you once had a friend?

(sorry, I couldn't resist it.)

Ash

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

Yes...I have friends...

I consider most of you guys to be my friends also.
Why else would I stick around here!?   TongueOut
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:41:11 PM by Ashthecat » Logged
raj

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »

Yes...I have friends!
I consider most of you guys to be my friends also.
Why else would I stick around here!?   TongueOut

The abuse?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 06:55:16 AM »

I can picture Ash, Frankenstien style,holding out his hands emploringly "Fr..freind...?"
OOps! there goes my headphones,I guess.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 08:20:23 PM »

A lot of my responses to things tend to end threads, even when my posts are open-ended.  I'm a dud, I guess.  I don't know why I don't post more though, I guess I just tend to agree with a lot of things already said....

And I like Ash's posts!  Most of them, anyway...

Amanda
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A Very Hot Topic? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.