Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:31:30 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Boondock Saints (1999) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Did you like the film Boondock Saints?
Yes - 9 (56.3%)
No - 2 (12.5%)
Didn't see it yet - 5 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Boondock Saints (1999)  (Read 8457 times)
Famous Mortimer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 03:27:39 AM »

A gratuitous breast-shot can be funny and self-aware, plus they're generally pleasant to observe in any context.  Vulgar language to no end, however, can be wearing and tiresome, much like being seated next to some loud drunk in a restuarant who won't shut up.

So breast shots for no reason are fine in a film but swearing for no reason isn't? I just feel we should have gotten beyond that a bit, I'm not chopped liver but equally I'd rather see women in modern films be portrayed as something more than eye candy.

I think my main argument is the swearing in "Boondock Saints" isn't unnecessary. And the discussion of "Deadwood" reveals that quite a lot of swearing in a show can be crucial to the plot- so there's certainly no hard and fast rules. And if you're offended by swearing in any context...I recommend you finding out how many ordinary people live below the UN's official poverty line while others have far more money than they could spend in a hundred lifetimes, and getting a sense of perspective about what's really offensive.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:42:01 AM by Famous Mortimer » Logged

"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 06:30:19 PM »

Re. The UN poverty line --
This reminds me of Nixon and Kruschev in the New York Modern Kitchen exhibition.  Nixon points out to Kruschev that this is how the average American kitchen could look in 1961, and how would this compare to what the average Soviet citizen could look forward to?
Kruschev replies:  "What about the Negroes in Harlem?"
Moral:  We are talking about commonalities in bad movies, not UN issues of international poverty.
      By this standard, if I find a child in a restuarant to be badly behaved because he throws things at me, I am not allowed to say anything because people in Sudan are starving.
     So, to keep comparing apples and flying fish:
Yes, I would certainly say that a random, gratuitous breast shot, particularly an over-the-top one, like the hottub scene in "European Vacation", can be a great source of humour -- Just like a self-aware swearing scene, re. "Happy Birthday Wanda June", wherein the characters marvel over the commonality of formerly filthy words, can be hysterically entertaining.
     What I am annoyed with is the unneccessary addition of hip-hop vocabulary to scenes that don't require it. 
     Nor was I necessarily championing the wholesale treatment of women as eye candy.  Are we not allowed to say breasts are pleasant to look at and that repetitive, dull, repetitive verbal singularities are unpleasant to listen to without offending the Modern Sensibility?
peter victorian/denny tits

I have no idea what this means.
Torgo

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »

Ron Jeremy's death scene & performance in this one was the only thing I liked about it.

I actually thought that Willem Dafoe was terrible.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Famous Mortimer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 03:47:56 AM »

Re. The UN poverty line --
This reminds me of Nixon and Kruschev in the New York Modern Kitchen exhibition.  Nixon points out to Kruschev that this is how the average American kitchen could look in 1961, and how would this compare to what the average Soviet citizen could look forward to?
Kruschev replies:  "What about the Negroes in Harlem?"
Moral:  We are talking about commonalities in bad movies, not UN issues of international poverty.
      By this standard, if I find a child in a restuarant to be badly behaved because he throws things at me, I am not allowed to say anything because people in Sudan are starving.
     So, to keep comparing apples and flying fish:
Incorrect comparison- if you were annoyed by kids in a restaurant, but not annoyed by kids in a movie theatre, then it'd be a similar comparison to what I was saying. It's also a silly comparison because I was clearly referring to people who just seem to be annoyed by swearing per se (a few of whom have posted in this thread). But carry on feeling aggrieved about comments not directed at you if you like.

Are we not allowed to say breasts are pleasant to look at and that repetitive, dull, repetitive verbal singularities are unpleasant to listen to without offending the Modern Sensibility?
"Dull, repetitive verbal singularities". So, not just swearing in films but that. So not comparing like with like. Did I say breasts were unpleasant to look at? Do you find ignoring what the other person says wins you a lot of arguments? Saying you like "gratuitous" breast shots is a movie is not the same as saying you think breasts are pleasant to look at, but perhaps to you it is.

"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
peter johnson

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »

I do not follow your argument.
You were comparing things that did not go together:  UN poverty standards vs. being annoyed by profanity.
You took me to task because I said random, gratuitous breast shots were enjoyable &  you said you'd hoped we'd gotten beyond that.  No, you did not say breasts were unpleasant to look at, but you still did not like my remarks.
Not really interested in an Argument Clinic either --
Read your own posts, for goodness sake!!
I really do try not to take umbrage with things not directed at me, but you're all over the map here --
Focus, baby, focus . . .
Reread my post:  I was saying that the use of profanity in modern films IS "repetitive, dull, repetitive".  I was not introducing a new topic.
To repeat:  I don't find random, gratuitous breast shots to be offensive, but I do find the mindless, overuse of profanity in modern movies to be tedious and self-defeating.  That is all.
peter johnson/denny WTF

I have no idea what this means.
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »

Go to the IMDB on this one and they're pretty evenly split.
Half hated it..half loved it.

The IMDb community is usually pretty split, aren't they?

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Boondock Saints (1999) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.