Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:25:24 AM
713336 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Post Apocalyptic Films? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Database Poll: Which Is Tour Favorite Post-Apocalyptic Film?
Planet of the Apes - 5 (20.8%)
Threads - 1 (4.2%)
The Day After - 1 (4.2%)
This is not a Test - 0 (0%)
Panic In The Year Zero - 0 (0%)
Mad Max - 1 (4.2%)
Road Warrior - 5 (20.8%)
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome - 2 (8.3%)
Dr. Strangelove - 1 (4.2%)
Warriors of the Wasteland - 0 (0%)
Day the World Ended - 1 (4.2%)
On the Beach - 0 (0%)
A Boy and His Dog - 3 (12.5%)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes - 0 (0%)
Escape From the Planet of the Apes - 0 (0%)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - 0 (0%)
Battle for the Planet of the Apes - 0 (0%)
The Postman - 0 (0%)
Radioactive Dreams - 0 (0%)
Roller Blade - 0 (0%)
Zardoz - 0 (0%)
Damnation Alley - 0 (0%)
Logans Run - 0 (0%)
Hell Comes To Frogtown - 0 (0%)
Hardware - 1 (4.2%)
Bronx Warriors - 0 (0%)
Steel Dawn - 0 (0%)
Cherry 2000 - 0 (0%)
2019 - 0 (0%)
Tank Girl - 3 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Post Apocalyptic Films?  (Read 21739 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 12:16:45 PM »

I take it "Planet of the Apes" refers to the one with Chuck Heston. Even so , I'll have to go with Fist of the North Star. I'm not sure it qualifies, being anime, but the exploding heads and kung fu blows with delayed action make it a classic. Not to mention Ken walking through buildings.

I'm glad some other people liked Tank Girl. That makes me feel less alone. I liked it immensely when it came out in theatres. Recently I tried to watch the DVD, but after about 15 minutes it got to me. Still, I'll try again later. Just to quibble, wasn't the disaster supposed to be caused by a comet or something?

Why include The Postman but not Waterworld?

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Neville

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 01:27:03 PM »

I'm glad some other people liked Tank Girl. That makes me feel less alone. I liked it immensely when it came out in theatres. Recently I tried to watch the DVD, but after about 15 minutes it got to me. Still, I'll try again later. Just to quibble, wasn't the disaster supposed to be caused by a comet or something?

True. In her own words:

Tank Girl: This comet came crashing into the earth. BAM! Total devastation. No celebrities, no cable TV, *no water*! It hasn't rained in 11 years. Now, 20 people gotta squeeze into the same bathtub. So it ain't all bad.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
chrisb
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 02:37:31 PM »

Er, does "The Cars that Ate Paris" count as post-apocalyptic? 

And wasn't Mad Max 1 set BEFORE WW3?
Flangepart

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 04:14:36 PM »

Wait...THE BEACH, is post-apoc? Is that the Leo Dicaprio. flick i never saw?
I chose THREADS, as i respect it the most.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Neville

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 04:42:58 PM »

Whoever mentioned "The beach" was probably meaning "On the beach", the 1959 Stanley Kramer film, or the 2000 remake for TV. They're about an U.S. submarine that reaches Australia after WWIII has just wiped out the rest of the globe.

I only saw the miniseries, and was pretty good, specially if you consider it was helmed by the late Russel Mulcahy.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 05:33:59 PM »

Whoever mentioned "The beach" was probably meaning "On the beach", the 1959 Stanley Kramer film, or the 2000 remake for TV. They're about an U.S. submarine that reaches Australia after WWIII has just wiped out the rest of the globe.

I think Scott might have picked up the title from my post, but made an error when transposing the title.  I made that small change to the poll.  Good catch by Flange.

I could argue that most DiCaprio films are like the end of the world to me.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rombles
Dedicated Viewer

Stupid fat hobbit...

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 05:15:25 AM »

Also where is Robot Holocaust?  Oh, thats right, no-one in there right mind (and not even anyone on here!) would vote for that!

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
Neville

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 05:43:56 AM »

No fans of Albert Pyun's "Omega Doom" yet?  TeddyR

Gotta love the idea of "A fistful of dollars" with cyborgs and Rutger Hauer, but it sucks big time.

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 06:49:27 AM »

I have a copy of The Quiet Earth on VHS, picked up from a closing video store. Good movie that deserves to seen more. Like a really good, film-length version of a "Twilight Zone" story.

I like The Ultimate Warrior but it is an often underwhelming film. Good cast who need more to do, and don't expect lots of action. Good ending though.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Mr Greasemonkey
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 07:11:22 PM »

Would Screamers be considered post-apocalyptic?  I mean, it is set in another world, but still deals with the downfall of man. If so, I'd have to choose that.

Mr Greasemonkey
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2006, 07:40:04 PM »

No fans of Albert Pyun's "Omega Doom" yet?  TeddyR

Gotta love the idea of "A fistful of dollars" with cyborgs and Rutger Hauer, but it sucks big time.

I saw this and fell asleep. So it can't be all bad if you need some sleep.. TongueOut
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 07:41:47 PM by rich andrini » Logged

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2006, 08:47:44 PM »

Would Screamers be considered post-apocalyptic?  I mean, it is set in another world, but still deals with the downfall of man. If so, I'd have to choose that.

I would say so, because warfare ruined the planet and left on small bands of survivors, still fighting it out, despite the fact that the war ruined what they were fighting over in the first place.  "Screamers" was a lost chance, because the premise is a very cool one.  They could have done a lot with the film.  Some parts are still interesting, even with the failure.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Neville

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:31 AM »

"Screamers" is still one of my favourite B-movies ever. It has its ups and downs, but overall it works quite well, and the script by Dan O'Bannon et al. has much more nuances that could be expected. If it only made sense it would be a classic.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »

If it only made sense it would be a classic.

I'll second that. It has 10 out of 10 for atmosphere and the cast does a good job. However, every semblance of coherence is thrown out of the window just to provide plot twists. In the end, it becomes predictable. You simply think, what is the most unlikely thing that would happen, and it happens!

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2007, 09:25:50 PM »

SCREAMERS is a very good little film.  Thumbup

QUIET EARTH is an OK film also. Australian film, but I don't think it had bodies all around. He was kinda like the last man on earth until he finds an aborigine. The story was interesting, but he seemed to wander around just a little to long for my interest at the time I saw it which may have been about 15 years ago.

Some of the films mentioned could be future society films and possibly a separate category. I'd make a new catagory, but I haven't been feeling well this week. Actually been real sick, but trying to get back into action here.

Someone should have a Future Society Poll/Database. With films like SOYLENT GREEN.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Post Apocalyptic Films? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.