Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:31 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite Pro Wrestler? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who is/was Your Favorite Professional Wrestler Of All Time?
Hulk Hogan - 0 (0%)
Ric Flair - 1 (8.3%)
Andre The Giant - 1 (8.3%)
Dusty Rhodes - 0 (0%)
Harley Race - 0 (0%)
Bruno Samartino - 0 (0%)
Buddy Rogers - 0 (0%)
Terry Funk - 0 (0%)
Dory Funk Jr. - 0 (0%)
Bruiser Brody - 0 (0%)
Abdullah The Butcher - 0 (0%)
Bret Hart - 0 (0%)
Stan Hanson - 0 (0%)
Georgeous George - 1 (8.3%)
Nick Bockwinkel - 0 (0%)
Verne Gagne - 0 (0%)
Ivan Koloff - 0 (0%)
The Shiek (original) - 0 (0%)
The Iron Shiek - 0 (0%)
Roddy Piper - 1 (8.3%)
Jimmy Snuka - 0 (0%)
The Undertaker - 2 (16.7%)
Mick Foley (a.k.a. Mankind & Catus Jack) - 1 (8.3%)
Steve Austin - 0 (0%)
Antonio Rocca - 0 (0%)
Jerry Lawler - 0 (0%)
Superstar Billy Graham - 1 (8.3%)
Ed "The Strangler" Lewis - 0 (0%)
Giant Baba - 0 (0%)
Antonio Inoki - 0 (0%)
Bill Goldberg - 0 (0%)
John Cena - 0 (0%)
Brock Lesnar - 0 (0%)
The Big Show - 0 (0%)
Sting - 0 (0%)
Tor Johnson - 1 (8.3%)
Randy Savage - 1 (8.3%)
Rick Martel - 0 (0%)
Jesse Ventura - 0 (0%)
Shawn Micheals - 1 (8.3%)
Lou Thesz - 0 (0%)
Jake Roberts - 0 (0%)
Barry Windham - 0 (0%)
The Fabulous Freebirds - 0 (0%)
Kevin Sullivan - 0 (0%)
Mil Mascaras - 0 (0%)
The Masked Superstar - 0 (0%)
Triple H - 0 (0%)
Ronnie Garvin - 0 (0%)
Sgt. Slaughter - 0 (0%)
George "The Animal" Steele - 0 (0%)
The Great Kabuki - 0 (0%)
The Ultimate Warrior - 1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Favorite Pro Wrestler?  (Read 17599 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: December 20, 2006, 02:16:13 PM »

Just watched E Hollywood True Story earlier and they did Hulk Hogan's life. It was a good documentary on Hogan. Who was your favorite Professional Wrestler? If they aren't up on the list just comment on them and they will be added. Started by adding former World Champions and others who were big draws.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:48:40 PM by Scott » Logged

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

Who was the wrestler who cut people's hair?
I'd vote for him.  I always thought it was great when he'd go for the scissors.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »

That was Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. Saw him wrestle Bret Hart in New Jersey one year in the 80's. He wasn't a very good wrassler, but he was best real life buddies with Hulk Hogan. He had one manuever which was a knee to the chest after whipping his opponent off the ropes. He had no other wrestling ability, but he did have a good gimmick cutting his defeated opponents hair.

Down South a loser looses their hair matches were big draws. Vince just created a character to do it after every match.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:40:29 PM by Scott » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 04:53:26 PM »

My favorite ain't here.Personally,I hate wrasslin. But if I had to pick one it would be TOR(the Swedish Angel) JOHNSON.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:02:15 PM »

I can't remember the guys name, but he was a wrestler in the 80s when I would watch it on occasion as a child.  He was Asian, probably Japanese.  He would spray stuff from his mouth into his opponet's eyes to blind them.  I can never recall his name.....

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:20:57 PM »

I can't remember the guys name, but he was a wrestler in the 80s when I would watch it on occasion as a child.  He was Asian, probably Japanese.  He would spray stuff from his mouth into his opponet's eyes to blind them.  I can never recall his name.....

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

One of the incarnations of somebody "The Dragon" somebody. Possibly Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. He had epic feuds in the '80s with Ric Flair and Randy Savage. More recently, a wrestler called Tajiri used the "green mist" to blind his opponents. He was always fun to watch; very innovative in the ring.

As for Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake, I always kind of liked him. He seemed to have a good connection with the crowd. He was on the verge of a fair push when he had an accident that crushed his face (he was on the beach and somebody parasailed into him or something like that). After reconstructive surgery (and a couple of steel plates), he returned to wrestle as The Zodiac, a gimmick so lame as to doom his career. He's retired now for the most part.

I voted for the Hotrod Roddy Piper. He is a complete nutbasket, but he has a quick wit and is really fun to listen to. His feuds with Randy Savage and Bobby Heenan were what got me to watch wrestling back around 1990. He recently was diagnosed with lymphoma and is fighting to beat that right now.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 07:23:39 PM »

Back then, it was Hulk Hogan.  Over the years, I decided it was Andre the Giant.  Hulk is still fun, as a larger than life character, but Andre had an interesting presence that I think appeals to my older self.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 08:54:30 PM »

Skaboi your from the Carolinas and in the 80's it was probably The Great Kabuki, but depending on what channels you had it could have been Kendo Nagasaki or Mr. Fuji during those years.

Andre The Giant was a very impressive person wether on TV or in person. One time I went to  the matches at the Philadelphia Spectrum around 1984 and Andre had a cab drive him down the ramp and to the back door of the Spectrum. He was so big he had to lay across the back seat just to fit in the cab. Also I once seen him in 1981 in Atlantic City teaming up with Chief Jay Strongbow and Jules Strongbow against Blackjack Mulligan, Mr. Fuji, and Mr. Saito. I was able to get right next to him and he was truely a giant. Legendary proportions.

Also was right with Roddy Piper when he entered the area outside the Spectrum just a couple months after his famous fued with Greg "The Hammer" Valentine which was a dog collar match. Piper had just started a major fued with Jimmy Snuka and never really faced Valentine again even though Valentine followed him into the WWF shortly after.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:59:57 PM by Scott » Logged

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »

Skaboi your from the Carolinas and in the 80's it was probably The Great Kabuki, but depending on what channels you had it could have been Kendo Nagasaki or Mr. Fuji during those years.

Andre The Giant was a very impressive person wether on TV or in person. One time I went to  the matches at the Philadelphia Spectrum around 1984 and Andre had a cab drive him down the ramp and to the back door of the Spectrum. He was so big he had to lay across the back seat just to fit in the cab. Also I once seen him in 1981 in Atlantic City teaming up with Chief Jay Strongbow and Jules Strongbow against Blackjack Mulligan, Mr. Fuji, and Mr. Saito. I was able to get right next to him and he was truely a giant. Legendary proportions.

Also was right with Roddy Piper when he entered the area outside the Spectrum just a couple months after his famous fued with Greg "The Hammer" Valentine which was a dog collar match. Piper had just started a major fued with Jimmy Snuka and never really faced Valentine again even though Valentine followed him into the WWF shortly after.

The Great Kabuki!  That would be him!

Scott, how did you figure that out by where I live?   Smile

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 09:05:08 PM »

You started the Frapper Location Map and according to that your live in the Carolinas.   Wink

The Great Kabuki was also the father of The Great Muta.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:07:35 PM by Scott » Logged

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:09:05 PM »

Scott,

Originally you said:

Skaboi your from the Carolinas and in the 80's it was probably The Great Kabuki

I was just curious what my location had to do with the answer?  Just curious.  :)

Scott

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »

1) If your were watching the local NWA Mid-Atlantic Jim Crockett promotion then the Great Kabuki would have been your Japanese green mist spewing wrestler.

2) If you were watching WTBS Superstation from Atlanta it could have been Kendo Nagasaki.

3) If it was mid-80's it might have been WWF on USA Network with Mr. Fuji.

By the way The Great Kabuki was one of my favorite all time wrestlers. He is lesser known and his story according to one time manager Gary Hart (not to be confused with Jimmy Hart) for wearing the face paint was that he lost a match in Singapore were he had his face burned in hot coals. Also if you saw The Great Kabuki in the Mid-Atlantic during those years he may have been teaming with The Magic Dragon who wore a mask (not to be confused with Ricky "Dragon" Steamboat).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:25:04 PM by Scott » Logged

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 10:04:40 PM »

I see Scott.

I have a feeling it would have been the local NWA thing you mentioned.  I know we had cable at the time (mid-late 80s) but I doubt it was on USA.  "The Great Kabuki" certainaly sets off quite a few bells in my overcrowded mind.

I'm sure I have some of his matches on VHS somewhere.  If I ever did run across them, I'm sure they'd be almost useless after so may years of non-use.

Scott

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 10:14:18 PM »

Just found a clip on Youtube that has The Great Kabuki vs Jimmy Valiant. In the match The Great Kabuki uses his red mist to blind Jimmy Valiant after losing a match.

Small | Large

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 08:09:05 AM »

I voted for Superstar Billy Graham. His heyday was before my time, but love his vibe and attitude. Ventura based his persona on Graham, from what I hear, but was too cartoonish for my tastes, especially once he turned good.

My favorites (big and small time) aren't on your list:

Jake "The Snake" Roberts
The Road Warriors
The Freebirds
The Bushwhackers - before they turned good (or are tag teams out)
"Bullet" Bob Armstrong
"Captain Redneck" Dick Murdock
Porkchop Cash - favorite wrestling name ever
"Exotic" Adrian Street - His gimmick got the rednecks around here worked up something good, even if it was just Gorgeous George with a touch of Boy George.
Ron Garvin
Kevin Sullivan - Was that man crazy in real life?
"Dr. Death" Steve Williams
The One Man Gang

BTW, you have Jerry Lawler listed in the poll twice. Which would gratify the King's ego no doubt, but if he gets any votes, it might split them.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite Pro Wrestler? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.