Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:29:36 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  New Order « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Order  (Read 5661 times)
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 20, 2007, 06:03:37 PM »

anyone else out there a fan?

i haven't been able to put down Brotherhood lately.

i'm dying to get Low Life, the Perfect Kiss, Love Vigilante, lots of great stuff on that album.

Substance - disc 2 has also been in heavy rotation.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:24:52 PM »

Haven't heard the newer stuff, but New Order never gets old for me either.  I've liked all of the albums I've heard, and owned a few too.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »

I was always more into Joy Division myself.  Haven't listened in a few years as I need to get a new needle for my turntable.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »

Right on Snivelly, i thought the Sirens Call was a pretty strong album, I didn't hear the album before that but nonetheless i still feel Sirens Call has a lot of strong tracks on it and is very diverse in it's influences, much like Technique.

Haven't heard the newer stuff, but New Order never gets old for me either.  I've liked all of the albums I've heard, and owned a few too.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »

i hear ya Raj. i guess i've always loved them both. Joy Division just popped out of this weird time for punk, all the anarchist - mohawk stuff was kinda fading away. JD really brought their personal stamp to the whole thing.

i don't know if it's just me but sometimes when i hear Ceremony i can feel the spirit of Ian in Bernard's voice.   Smile

I was always more into Joy Division myself.  Haven't listened in a few years as I need to get a new needle for my turntable.
dean

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 04:27:38 AM »

For my birthday last month we went karaoke-ing and to open proceedings I 'sang' [loose term here] Blue Monday.  Nothing like a one and a half minute intro to really kick things off.  I have video footage of it somewhere around, but I'll be damned if I post it. 

Great track, can't get enough of it, but haven't heard any of their new work recently, except if memory serves me correctly, the did the soundtrack to "Sunshine" which was really nice ambient music.

Must admit that whilst I'm a New Order fan, I haven't really heard anything barring the usual suspects [Bizzare Love Triangle etc etc]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 09:00:29 AM »

I like Joy Division better but in dying and coming back as New Order the band definitely scored an all-time great with Bizarre Love Triangle, a song I don't think ever would have been recorded had Ian Curtis stayed alive. (And speaking of Ian, I marked the thirtieth anniversary of his passing in here in 2010, and in a couple weeks we'll be at forty years. Whoosh.)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »

I remember them announcing his death via a town crier. That made the national news. Then again, I guess it was supposed to.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »

Did you ever see 24-Hour Party People, where that was recreated? The town crier I mean, but they also depicted Ian's funeral, him lying there in a high collar. Pretty grim stuff.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »

Can't say I've ever seen the movie.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »

Can't say I've ever seen the movie.

It's good and kinda bad but it tells the story of Factory Records from the '70s and '80s and is all about Tony Wilson and all the bands he promoted out of Manchester, without ever making money, because he signed a contract in blood that he wouldn't, lol. Joy Division was one of his first bands and play a big role in the first quarter of the movie (which came out just before Tony died in real life, sadly) and Ian Curtis' downward spiral was shown without any romance to it at all. Two scenes that stick out in my mind are when these jerks in some band or other fed poison bread to seagulls so birds would drop dead all over Manchester, and when this Chris Farley type was too obese to be buried in his own grave, a fact discovered only in the middle of his service.

The best movie about Joy Division is Control, which really ought to be a classic but it seems like hardly anyone's heard of it. Ian was played up as more of a suffering martyr than the real man actually was according to everyone who knew him, but there's only so much distance you can put between tragedy and your story when it opens with a man about to kill himself, and ends with a darn brutal depiction of him doing it....filmed literally in the exact place he hanged himself.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 01:38:54 PM »

Black Marble has some of that vibe

Small | Large
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 03:31:22 PM »

I love Regret and True Faith (94 version) but apart from those 2 tracks not really a fan. synth led pop is not really my thing tbh

similar with Joy Division. Love Will Tear Us Apart is a great song, but a friend lent me an album (forget which one) and I couldn't get through it...too depressing. (even tho I love some depressing nusic like Nick Drake)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 09:37:45 PM »

I know their older albums pretty well, but only a couple of months ago I heard the song "the Siren's Call" on the radio one day.      Hadn't heard it before, but about four bars into it I said "That's a New Order song I haven't heard before."    That's a cool song.  I haven't heard the rest of the album, and I'd fall more into the "like some singles but couldn't tell you about the whole albums" camp.

Temptation is one of the songs that takes me back to a particular time and place in my life -- college, late teens/ early 20's.   And, Bizarre Love Triangle.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  New Order « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.