Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:27:38 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are the 'audience applauding' movies you've seen? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are the 'audience applauding' movies you've seen?  (Read 18038 times)
~Archivist~
« on: December 21, 2006, 05:42:25 PM »

I'm not talking about major zillion dollar blockbusters, although some in the past have been that way.  I'm talking about the movies where people actually applaud at the end.

I saw Ghostbusters in the cinema years and years ago, and at the end, the whole audience applauded and yelled as the credits rolled.  It was awesome.  The audience was quite vocal at the end of Stargate.  There was some applause at the end of Star Wars Episode 1.  But I really can't think of very many movies where the audience has spontaneously clapped as a whole.  Interestingly, there was some audience applause at the end of Three Colours Red, when I saw it a couple of years ago in an arthouse cinema.

What movies have you seen where the audience started clapping at the end?  Why do you think they did?

(Hey everyone!  Haven't been in for ages!)

~Archivist~
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 05:45:51 PM »

Outside of the Starwars movies I remember alot of applauding during The karate Kid, and of course during Fahrenheit 911
Meatmen
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 06:24:28 PM »

I had to join just to comment on this.

When I saw "Life Is Beautiful" the only other people in the theater were some older Jewish couples.  After the movie I watched them just there and think.  It wasn't applause, but it was clear that they had gone through an emotional experience watching the movie.  I think that they appreciated the film, but it hurt them too.  I have never cried at a movie, but I almost did watching their faces.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »

The loudest reaction from an audience that I have ever seen to a movie (besides RHPS) was watching "Mystery Science Theater 3000 - The Movie" in the theater.  As Mike, Tom Servo, and Crow all appeared, the audience would start clapping and yelling.  At the end, everyone was yelling and going wild.

The most powerful reaction from an audience I have ever seen was "Saving Private Ryan."  I saw it in a theater near Washington DC and the rows were full of older veterans.  My group, all in our mid 20's and military, was probably the youngest there.  At the end of the film, the credits rolled, but nobody rose to leave, not even when the lights came on.  When the credits finally finished, some of us started moving.  As I got up, I looked at the audience behind us (we were near the middle) and many of the older men had tears on their faces.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 08:35:18 PM »

Beyond Re-Animator.

My wife and I went to a midnight showing of the film when it was first released.  Everyone in the audience was clapping and laughing the whole way through.  The ending brought on a standing ovation from everyone there.  It's still one of my favorite theater experiences.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45:12 PM »

The most powerful reaction to a movie I ever saw was from my father, he was B-17 crewman and I thought he would enjoy Memphis Belle with Mathew Modine, we were watching and every so often he would kind of laugh and say that's not the way that works or we didn't do it that way, he seemed to find the movie mildly amusing right up to John Lithgow's reading of the letters, he got real quite then and when the black and White footage was over I looked at him and he was crying.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 10:53:19 PM »

When I went to the theater to see RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK the whole audience applauds when Indiana Jones crosses from the cargo ship and re-emerges on the submarine. That was a big movie moment.

As I may have mentioned at the end of GODZILLA 2000 all the people my age applauded in the theater at the end of the movie. It's the first time I ever saw a theatrical release of Godzilla on the big screen. That final Godzilla roar made the theater a little weepy in appreciation for our childhood king of monsters.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 09:38:40 PM by Scott » Logged

Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 08:46:39 AM »

Lord of the rings. It was overwhelming.  Thumbup
dean

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:00:43 AM »

People clap at premieres, opening nights or special occasion movies, such as an outdoor cinema/place where they show cult movies.

Other than that, I haven't really had a proper clapping moment.

Though I did have some old people talking about 'it was exactly like that back then' when watching "Gosford Park".

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Nackl
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 09:21:09 AM »

I saw "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" in a great big theatre in Perth (Western Australia). A packed room of something like 800 people applauded at the same time just after Jack faced off with the Kraken towards the end. I wasn't going to myself, but I got caught up in the moment.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 09:31:58 AM »

When Brother Ragnarok & I went to a sold out midnight screening of X-Men 2 back in 2003 on the Wartburg college campus.

The theater was packed with college kids and it was a wild ride from beginning to end.
The audience went crazy during the scene where Wolverine finally snaps and impales that guy into the refrigerator.
People were standing up pumping their fists and screaming "YEAAAAH!"

Here in the city I live in, nobody claps in a movie theater....ever.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 09:34:10 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 12:19:19 PM »

The Mask with Jim Carrey.  Went to go see it opening weekend and there were a ton of kids in the audience. 

Side note, I've always wondered why people applaud in theaters...is it for the projectionsist?  Unless its a premier I doubt the actors/directors will be there to hear it. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Automan2000
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 01:23:43 PM »

Pirates Of The Caribbean:Dead Mans Chest.... not only did the audience applaud the movie itself but they also applauded when the teaser for Transformers played.
Ryanjvs.godzilla
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 01:34:40 PM »

Snakes On A plane, this summer all off the whopping 12 people clapped everytime sameul L Jackson cussed. when he would say "Im tired of these mfing snakes on these mfing plane."

When i was around 9-10 my dad took me to see the premiere of star Wars: a new hope in the theatres. The place was packed and people were going nuts and reciting lines. At the end a huge clap and kids pulled out lightsabers and started battling. They also , before the movie did a trivia game where you won a free star wars t-shirt. I was so mad because I knew all the answers but they never called on me.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »

Pirates Of The Caribbean:Dead Mans Chest.... not only did the audience applaud the movie itself but they also applauded when the teaser for Transformers played.

Welcome aboard, Automan2000.

I just received that DVD at our unit Christmas party the other day.  Should have gotten the clue when some of the Marines were asking me about recent movies that I had not seen yet.  Looking forward to watching it, as I enjoyed the first one.

Also wanting to see "Snakes On A Plane."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are the 'audience applauding' movies you've seen? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.