Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:56 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are the 'audience applauding' movies you've seen? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What are the 'audience applauding' movies you've seen?  (Read 18035 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »

Iv'e seen a couple emotional reactions in theatres...during Jaws when I was a kid...I admit...I was chewing my ticket stub like gum.
And my cousin Tina RAN down the aisle after Jack nailed the cook with the axe in the SHINING.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ometiklan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 10:36:14 PM »

My Dad took me to see JAWS in 1975 I was only 8 years old at the time.
And I will never forget People standing and cheering and clapping at the end of that movie.
I Had seen nothing like it before or since and neither has my Dad. Thumbup
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:38:31 PM by Ometiklan » Logged

And when he shall die
Take him and cut him into little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 11:03:06 PM »

A couple people applauded a bit when Rocky started laying into Mason in Rocky Balboa. 

People yelled, laughed and squeeled throughout Freddy VS Jason. 

People applauded King Kong defeating the last T-rex. 

Probably the strongest reaction I've seen wasn't from a film at all, but from a trailer.  First time I saw the Pearl Harbor in a packed theatre, a lot of the older folks were getting wistful and misty eyed by the end.  The full-length trailer for that film is fantastic, one of the best I've ever seen.  Too bad the film isn't...
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 11:04:53 PM »

Jim H, could you give us your thought on ROCKY BALBOA. I'm thinking of catching this over the holiday.

peter johnson

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »

I grew up in small-town Kilmarnock, Virginia.  One movie theatre for approximately 50miles in all directions.
One of the factors that gets people applauding at films is lack of other outlets, I think.
Anyway, the one film I attended several times wherein the audience spontaneously applauded -- at the race results, no less -- was . . . Walt Disney's "The Horse in The Grey Flannel Suit" --
I can't even remember the plot to this picture, but recall vividly how great it felt to be in a group of people all clapping because the underdog horse had won this sqeaky-close race.
And, of course, everyone screamed and yelled at Hammer's "The Reptile", but that's not applause.  We all used to hide behind the seats & otherwise hugely react during horror/science-fiction flicks.  Hell, people still do that here in Colorado.  But applause is a rare kettle of fish . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Jim H

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2006, 05:45:10 PM »

Jim H, could you give us your thought on ROCKY BALBOA. I'm thinking of catching this over the holiday.

I'm still a bit muddled about it, actually.  I think I'd get a better opinion if I see it again, which probably won't happen til it hits DVD.

But some general thoughts...

The writing is mostly good.  There are a few clunkers and cheese bits here and there though.  Stallone and everyone else is excellent..  With the exception of the guy who plays his son.  He ranges from pretty good to (in a single scene) awful.  The 'villain' is given a bit of humanity early on, but then this is apparently totally forgotten, which bugged me a bit.  I'd have liked more time with him.

Stallone has a couple of longer speeches, which are pretty good.  The overall storyline is good, and more believable than you'd guess.  It seems like there is going to be a romantic subplot, but there isn't, which is great.  The cinematography is usually pretty, but I thought the hand held bits were too common.  Film is slow building, but does get where its going.  It feels slower than the original Rocky, actually, which is kind of amazing. 

The fight sequence at the end is very well done, though the MTV style in the middle gets to be a bit hectic.  Still, extremely well choreographed and shot.

Overall, as a serious movie, I'd say it is better than all of the other sequels, but it is not as good as the original film.  I don't think Stallone will ever top the original, it's pretty much his Citizen Kane. 

So yeah, Rocky Balboa gets my vote to see in theatres.  It would be especially worth it if you get with a crowd who really gets into it...  I suspect the early showings with huge Rocky fans were awesome.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 07:36:44 AM »

* The original ROCKY - I saw it during its original theatrical run when I was 12 years old.  The theater was sold out and the entire audience was on it's feet clapping and cheering for Rocky during the final fight scene.  It was like being at a live boxing match.  When I saw ROCKY BALBOA on oipening night las week, it was a similar experience except that the audience didn't stand up . . . but they were clapping and cheering during the fight. 

* STAR WARS - When I saw this during its original theatrical run, the audience cheered during the attack on the Death Star and also during the closing credits.

* JAWS - The audience cheered when Roy Scheider killed the shark.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 08:59:18 AM »

* The original ROCKY - I saw it during its original theatrical run when I was 12 years old.  The theater was sold out and the entire audience was on it's feet clapping and cheering for Rocky during the final fight scene.  It was like being at a live boxing match.  When I saw ROCKY BALBOA on oipening night las week, it was a similar experience except that the audience didn't stand up . . . but they were clapping and cheering during the fight. 

I kept considering the fact that "Rocky" must have been a good one in the theater.  You get to feel for Rocky, because he is someone given an extraordinary opportunity, someone who seems to have wasted a great deal of his life, but he reaches down deep to find a lot of strength and intensity.  The audience does not even know if he has enough to win, but they are going to applaud how far he came to try.

I saw "Rocky IV" in the theater and remember everyone clapping and cheering.  Of course, in that one you have a drug-enhanced Soviet monster as the enemy, along with Rocky outrunning KGB agents as he trains for the fight by pounding through deep snow.  Oh, and the DJ robot dancing around and coming on to Paulie.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are the 'audience applauding' movies you've seen? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.