Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:42:20 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anyone else get a Playstation 3? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else get a Playstation 3?  (Read 10800 times)
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 24, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »

Yes, I was one of those pathetic geeks back in November who slept out and didn't get a Playstation 3.

Funny thing was, 3 days ago I stopped at my local Best Buy to finish up my shopping and there were BOXES of 'em. Perfect irony, to sleep out and not get one and a month later get one by walking into a store at the right time. Good thing I have Thursdays off!

It'll make its debut in our house Christmas Day.

Anyone already get one by sleeping out or getting on on eBay? Just curious to see how the media-induced frenzy may or may not have affected the folks of badmovies.org  Wink

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 02:58:39 PM »

I'm a huge gaming geek, but more of a computer gamer than console.  Despite that, I followed the stories about the PS3 launch pretty closely.  I figured that it would be a disaster, especially with Sony saying that they were not going to be able to fulfill the demand for the console (surprise!).

I don't think I'll be buying a PS3.  I don't have an HDTV yet, so the whole HD output and Blu-Ray playback would be a bit of a waste for me.  Another problem I have is the quality of Sony products.  I have a PS2 that I put to it's grave about two years ago.  Someone bumped into the entertainment center where the PS2 was one night, while a game was running.  The PS2 freaked out and I ended up having to take the damn thing apart.  It won't work with the cover on, so I had to leave the entire top off of the console and then remove the top of the disc tray to put in a game.  I finally got sick of it and it's sitting on a shelf unplugged and unused.  Hell, my Dreamcast gets more play.

The price for the PS3 is also quite out of my range.

This year, I'm going to take some of my Christmas cash and buy a new ATI Radeon X1600 video card as my Radeon 9800PRO is lacking when it comes to new games. 

Do post a review after you try out the PS3 for a bit.  I am curious if it does live up to it's price tag.

Also, why did you choose the PS3 over the 360 or Wii?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »

I was one of the first people to get a PS2 on launch day. I reseved it about a year before. Personal I liked PS2 due to its large library of RPGs compared to the other systems at the time.

With the new systems I have to say Sony is in some trouble. PS3 it too expansive and their internet it not as smooth as X-Box 360. I hear way more people talking about the Wii and X-Box 360. Sony I feel it going to be the bottom of the pack when it comes to console systems.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:45:33 AM »

Also, why did you choose the PS3 over the 360 or Wii?

Because (and this solifidies my UberGeekhood) I slept out for the Playstation 2 back in 2000 and I was #1 in line at my Wal-Mart.

As far as the price, I won $350.00 in AMEX checks for a sale contest at my office 2 months ago so that made my price only $250 to pay for it. Hey, at least that's better than the guy at my office who paid $1300.00 for his a week after launch day (yep, he's got REAL buyer's remorse after hearing I paid sticker price).

I've always loved Playstation; probably because one of the first games I played on it was Resident Evil. Always loved that game, it's what got me hooked. Ask anyone who's played Halo and they'll tell you a similar story as to why they love the X-Box.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 05:48:09 AM by Neon Noodle » Logged

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 06:08:41 AM »

Noodle...
I'm on the Xbox side.
I dropped over $700 on a full blown Xbox 360 system and 5 games a few weeks ago.

I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything!
So far, it has delivered a superb gaming experience.   Thumbup   Smile

I liked the original Playstation and that's about it when it comes to the Playstation consoles.
I didn't care for the PS2 at all.
It came across to me as subpar.
(technically, its specs were always inferior to the Xbox...it just had more games for it)

Ever since I first played Halo, I've been an Xbox addict.
Call of Duty 3 on Xbox Live for the 360 is mind blowing!

I sincerely believe that the Playstation is on its last legs unless it really pulls off something cool that blows everyone away.
(the PS3 hasn't done that yet and doesn't look like it will)

And even if it did, I might still remain with Microsoft and the Xbox just because of the intense, diverse and superior gameplay that it offers.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 08:35:57 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 08:33:47 AM »

Slightly on topic.

I have not picked up a new game console since my PS1 (which I think was a gift from Katie).  Now and then, I do pull it out and play some Resident Evil 2, Tekken, Panzer General, or even Final Fantasy VII.  Todd has a PS2 and he has what must be my favorite game for that system:  War of the Monsters. 

For Christmas this year, Todd had sent me what was obviously a picture or print of some kind (shape of the package).  Opening it up, it turned out to be "War of the Monsters" artwork and nicely done.  It was not some sort of advertising artwork, so I had to call him to find out where he had gotten the thing.  Turned out he was at a gallery showing for his brother and ran across this print by another artist at the show.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 10:10:53 AM »

Neon,

Well, at $250 I'd probably had gone with the PS3 as well.  How is it?  Fun?  Resistance: Fall Of Man is the one game that I would honestly like to play on the system.

I'm not going down the console route anytime soon.  I picked up a Nintendo DS Lite on launch day earlier this year and that keeps me busy enough when I'm not gaming on my PC.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 01:16:38 PM »

My kids wanted one of those (duh), but I just paid some huge amount for their X-box 360 about a year ago, and they're not getting another mega-expensive toy so soon.  They didn't seem terribly excited about it anyway - with the X-box they were begging for that thing like thier lives were literally going to end if they didn't get one.  With the PS3 we got a week or so of halfhearted begging and then they were over it.  We got them a Wii and they seem to be having a load of fun with that. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 01:34:11 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
dean

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 07:37:33 AM »

I like the idea of the PS3, but it's not due here until March so I can't really tell you even if it's going to be properly priced for me anyways.  I'm hanging for a Wii though, mainly for fun party games with friends, but that's a while off yet since there's none in the country right now as far as I know.

Though I did see a funny comic a while back on the topic of the PS3 which made me chuckle.

Sony seems to be gearing up for a failure, but if they release some really good games on it, then people will turn around I'm sure.  Gamers like me are fickle in that way [even though I'm a Playstation fanboy at heart]

http://fanboys-online.com//comics/20061208.jpg

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 12:49:07 AM »

How is it?  Fun?  Resistance: Fall Of Man is the one game that I would honestly like to play on the system.

I can honestly say that this system is totally worth it. I booted up and got myself configured within about 10 minutes of getting it out of the box. First things first....I always gauge how easy a game system is to hook up. This one used the stereo hookups that the Playstation 2 did, so it was a nice smooth transition. I was a little miffed to see that the Shock controller doesn't exist (yet) on the Playstation 3, but as I understand it, there is a class action lawsuit going on over who owns the DualShock technology now.

My coworker got me Resistance:Fall of Man to repay me for getting him "Star Wars Legos" for the Playstation 2.

This game is the BOMB. Normally I hate FPS games but this one has really sucked me in....good storyline, kick-ass weapons, and the sounds are dead on. I'm surprised James Cameron doesn't want to sue Sony because the Chimera soliders in this game are extremely similar to the Xenomorphs in "ALIENS". I went around one corner and all I could hear was the -chikka-chikka-chikka of the alien crawling on the ground. As I turned, there were a bunch of facehugger-type aliens flying towards me. I probably blasted about 75% of my ammo away to kill a total of 6 of these things.

Yeah, definitely a fun system. I'll have to reorganize the entertainment center because I don't want this puppy getting overheated.

Jim H

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 02:44:38 AM »

Slightly on topic.

I have not picked up a new game console since my PS1 (which I think was a gift from Katie).  Now and then, I do pull it out and play some Resident Evil 2, Tekken, Panzer General, or even Final Fantasy VII.  Todd has a PS2 and he has what must be my favorite game for that system:  War of the Monsters. 

For Christmas this year, Todd had sent me what was obviously a picture or print of some kind (shape of the package).  Opening it up, it turned out to be "War of the Monsters" artwork and nicely done.  It was not some sort of advertising artwork, so I had to call him to find out where he had gotten the thing.  Turned out he was at a gallery showing for his brother and ran across this print by another artist at the show.

If you ever get a chance, I'd suggest you check out Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee for either GameCube or Xbox.  You'd probably get a kick out of it.  Think of it sort of like War of the Monsters, only a dozen odd Godzilla characters and it is 4 player. 
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 11:46:03 AM »

If you ever get a chance, I'd suggest you check out Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee for either GameCube or Xbox.  You'd probably get a kick out of it.  Think of it sort of like War of the Monsters, only a dozen odd Godzilla characters and it is 4 player. 

I had heard that was one I should try, but quite often someone I know will say that based purely on the fact that it is Godzilla (or whatever monster) and I love b-movies.  The younger Marines always end up with fun toys, so I will keep an eye out for one of them with it.

A game that interested me when I saw the advertisement (and it is rare for ads to do that) was Gears of War - another FPS like NeonNoodle's "Resistance: Fall Of Man."  The FPS has come a long way since Doom and Castle Wolfenstein.

*BANG*  "Mein Leiben!"

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 11:51:32 AM »

Andrew...
Gears of War is good but I like Call of Duty 3 better.

Read this superb review of Gears of War at Gamespot.com.
Be sure to watch the video review first!  It's pretty good.   Thumbup

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/gearsofwar/review.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 11:53:24 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anyone else get a Playstation 3? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.