Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:52:07 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Loved the Music. Hated the Movie « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Loved the Music. Hated the Movie  (Read 11060 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »

Basil Poledouris is one of our great modern film score composers.  He'd be much more well known now, if filmmakers were willing to give him some really high profile films.  But alas, they're still so enamoured of John Williams, who really hasn't done much of anything interesting over the past two decades.
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »

Just for his body of work alone, Williams is far beyond reproach IMHO.  (Not that he doesn't "coast" from time to time.)

But hey.  Anvil of Crom.  If he's remembered for absolutely nothing else, the late Mr. Poledouris will be certainly remembered for that--certainly one of the most iconic themes of the 1980s and God only knows how many subsequent movie trailers...
Famous Mortimer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »

"Judgement Night" had a groundbreaking soundtrack (and probably inspired Limp Bizkit, unfortunately) and sold loads, but the films sucked ass.

"Virgin Among The Living Dead" had a great soundtrack, but was a bizarre incomprehensible mess of a film.

"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 10:59:14 AM »

I totally agree with JUDGEMENT NIGHT,FM.A GREAT soundtrack,a lousy film. Loved the Slayer/Ice T Jam.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 03:17:31 AM »

I must second "Weird Science." 

And to reverse the thread for a moment, I enjoyed Ladyhawke, but the music screams "just borrowed my brother's crappy K-mart synthesizer and punched the 'demo' button on it to soundtrack this movie."
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 01:12:28 PM »

Even though I personally love it and consider it one of the best movies I've ever seen I know alot of people think Garden State was s**t but the soundtrack was great.
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »

I didn't quite hate this one, but Bram Stoker's Dracula--a film which I definitely didn't "get," and probably still don't--had one of the best, or at least most memorable, modern orchestral OPs (composed by Wojciech Kilar) I'd ever heard on film up to that time...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 07:54:11 PM »

Thank you for that correction, RC Merchant. While I enjoyed listening to "Colonel Bogie's March," I never cared much for the film. I agree a good film, maybe even a great one, but I never have associated greatness necessarily with enjoyability. And while hated is probably a hyperbolic stretch, all those films mentioned are films I never have and most likely will never enjoy, as many times as I have seen them. And that includes "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

And if you misread my previous post about the "William Tell Overture," then I apologize, that I was not clearer in my first post. I tried to associate that piece of classical music with "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" from 1981. While a bad movie in many ways, never before or since, have I heard a better rendition of Rossini's overture, then I heard in that film.

And did you know that there are actually words to "Colonel Bogie's March." When we lived in Rhode Island in the early '60's, we shopped at a furniture store in Fall River, Massachusetts. And the salesman we dealt with was a man named Dingleberry, who was in the armed forces in that part of Asia, where they were, and when they were, actually building the real bridge over the river Kwai, during WWII. And he apparently knew the actual words to the march. The only thing I can remember my father saying about them, as I never heard the actual words themselves, were that they were obscene, and this was from a man--my father--who was in the U.S. Navy at the time, and had heard  and seen just about everything.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »

Sorry, Peter. I meant Peter, not RC. I am glad that both you and RC some of the films I mentioned, but that does not change the fact, that I did not enjoy the movies, even though I quite liked the music from those same movies.
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »

The soundtrack to Faust was simply awesome.  Lots of really excellent metal.  Brujeria, Sepultura, Fear Factory, etc...  I quite liked the soundtrack to Trespass when I was younger.  Someone mentioned Judgement Night and that soundtrack also came to mind.  Haven't listened to it in years.  Might have to go dig up the tape.  Yes, TAPE. 

Amanda
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 12:20:11 AM »

I love nearly every movie to music combination by Stanley Kubrick. I especially love A Clockwork Orange because the music was revolutionary. It was 1971 and legendary electronic music pioneer Brian Eno had only begun his career while Wendy/Walter Carlos had already released Swtiched on Bach, The Well-Tempered Synthesizer and Sonic Seasonings, three electonic albums utilizing the Moog synthesizer. My goodness. And then she/he composes the album music for A Clockwork Orange! The music blows me away. The William Tell Overture, the renditions of Beethoven, oh wow. I'm famiiar with Kubrick selecting music that already exists to compliment his movie and so I think A Clockwork Orange is his first and only movie with an original score.

I also love 2001: A Space Odyssey for its music. The Shining, Doctor Strangelove, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon, Spartacus and Full Metal Jacket. I don't really like the music of Eyes Wide Shut, but then again there's not a lot I like about Eyes Wide Shut.

I also like the music of all the Fellini films I have seen. His composer, Nino Rota is incredible. Most of you may remember his music from The Godfather. It's great. Another great composer to watch out for is the guy who did the music for Sergio Leone's The Man With No Name trilogy, Ennio Morricone.

The Lord of The Rings music started to bug on me around the middle of The Return of The King. The same repeating lines... I don't know about it. Perhaps I shouldn't watch these movie trilogies in a row so often...

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
BTM

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 11:21:28 PM »

Loved most of the songs on the Mortal Kombat Annihilation but hated the movie.

Loved a lot of the songs in the Queen of the Damned soundtrack (again, the movie sucked ass.)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Loved the Music. Hated the Movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.