Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:33:49 AM
714324 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The dub was better « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The dub was better  (Read 2021 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: December 29, 2006, 06:45:55 AM »

Drunken Wu Tang is one of my favorite crazy martial arts films.   The VHS version I have is a horribly grainy EP tape, but I have found I am more likely to watch it than the quality DVD version, "Taoism Drunkard."  The problem is that the DVD does not have the English dubbed audio track.  Without that, I do not get to hear lines like the one exchange between Old Devil and a monk.

Old Devil: "Give me the book or I'll kill you all."
Monk: "Don't threaten us and get off our roof!"

Has anyone else run into this with a film?  I suppose it is more common with kung fu flicks.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
dean

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 07:47:03 AM »

Oh it's very fun to watch a re-dubbed kung fu film.

One favourite of mine is "Cantonese Dragon" [I think is the name at least] It's a Jackie Chan film about gangsters.  Not Triad-type gangsters, but Mafia style, and the dub has them all speaking in that old Mafia lingo the whole time.

Great fun.  Wish I could remember some of the good lines though.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 08:50:03 AM »

I think from the CHINESE CONNETION the head bad guy is b***hing about Bruce Lee-"I don't like that guy...so-go beat him up!"
I would love to find out what genuis dubbed BURIAL GROUND. "WHAT is it?" It's  a monster! Run!"

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:48:30 AM »

Drunken Wu Tang is one of my favorite crazy martial arts films.   The VHS version I have is a horribly grainy EP tape, but I have found I am more likely to watch it than the quality DVD version, "Taoism Drunkard."  The problem is that the DVD does not have the English dubbed audio track.  Without that, I do not get to hear lines like the one exchange between Old Devil and a monk.

Old Devil: "Give me the book or I'll kill you all."
Monk: "Don't threaten us and get off our roof!"

Has anyone else run into this with a film?  I suppose it is more common with kung fu flicks.

I hear such is the case with the American dub of Godzilla 2000... that a lot of stuff was added to punch up the atmosphere of many scenes. I have a tendancy to collect various versions of the same foreign films, just to contrast and compare the various dubs and edits, or sometimes even the cover art (if it's cheap). How many copies of Gappa, the Triphibian Monster can one person tolerate?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:30:23 AM »

I hear such is the case with the American dub of Godzilla 2000... that a lot of stuff was added to punch up the atmosphere of many scenes. I have a tendancy to collect various versions of the same foreign films, just to contrast and compare the various dubs and edits, or sometimes even the cover art (if it's cheap). How many copies of Gappa, the Triphibian Monster can one person tolerate?

In some ways, putting in goofy dubbing for "Godzilla 2000" does not work as well as it does for a crazy kung fu film.  You expect the latter to be silly, while "Godzilla 2000" was fairly serious.  I will say that the big final line, remembered by many, was darn funny.

"I guess there is a little Godzilla in all of us." (Or something close to that.)

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:38:55 AM »

Since I mentioned this film in another thread; about the only thing even remotely enjoyable (and that is stretching it) in Oasis of the Zombies is the dubbing which does not match the context of the scene. There are scenes when a character is panicked, or running, or hurt, and they are speaking in a perfectly normal tone as though nothing is happening.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 10:50:25 AM »

Can't remember the name, but there's a South Korean Godzilla movie that has some truly hilarious dubbing.  Characters say the exact same lines to each other multiple times - I imagine they were probably saying similar things, but the translator couldn't get the subtle differences so he just had them repeat the same lines. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »

In some ways, putting in goofy dubbing for "Godzilla 2000" does not work as well as it does for a crazy kung fu film.  You expect the latter to be silly, while "Godzilla 2000" was fairly serious.  I will say that the big final line, remembered by many, was darn funny.

"I guess there is a little Godzilla in all of us." (Or something close to that.)

Yeah, I agree there, but I think that's mostly because kung fu movies have always had a zany 'anything goes' energy to them, while Godzilla movies change with each director that comes to helm them. I thought Godzilla 2000 had a somewhat serious tone, but was also a bit long and boring when the monsters were taking a back seat. Exceptions to this rule include the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Rodan and GMK. But there can be a humorous moment in virtually any kaiju film... call it the nature of the beast :P
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The dub was better « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.