Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:17:47 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  WWII movie « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WWII movie  (Read 11659 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 29, 2006, 09:14:05 AM »

So this is an old black and white movie about the Allies vs. the Germans in the desert.  The Germans are trying to take some small military base (most of the movie is spent as these two groups are travelling through the desert to get to this base), but the Allied soldiers get there first.  I think it's abandoned when they arrive.  Even though the Allies are vastly outnumbered, the natural geography of the area allows them to make a pretty good defensive fortress out of the place.  There's a fairly large battle at the end.  I remember the Allied soldiers running around behind their sandbags, firing from one position after another.  They know it's a suicide stand, but they decide it's the only thing to do.

Anybody remember this?  I saw it a few years ago and would like to see it again.  Thanks.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:45:16 AM »

What jumps to mind is "Sahara" (1943).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 12:30:16 PM »

Yeah, it does sound like "Sahara." One of the better WWII movies made during WWII. With a mixed group of allied soldiers (American, British, French, Irish, South African, Sudanese) racing the Germans to nearest water for miles around. The allies get there first, but the joke is that the waterhole has gone dry, and there is no water.

With a cast that included Humphrey Bogart, Bruce Bennett, J. Carrol Naish, Lloyd Bridges, Rex Ingram, Dan Duryea, and Peter Lawford in an uncredited role.

It would be done ten years later as a western, called "The Last Comanche," w/ Broderick Crawford in the Humphrey Bogart part, and almost forty years after that, as a made for television movie, w/ Jim Belushi in the Humphrey Bogart part.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 01:07:51 PM »

Yeah, it does sound like "Sahara." One of the better WWII movies made during WWII. With a mixed group of allied soldiers (American, British, French, Irish, South African, Sudanese) racing the Germans to nearest water for miles around. The allies get there first, but the joke is that the waterhole has gone dry, and there is no water.

With a cast that included Humphrey Bogart, Bruce Bennett, J. Carrol Naish, Lloyd Bridges, Rex Ingram, Dan Duryea, and Peter Lawford in an uncredited role.

It would be done ten years later as a western, called "The Last Comanche," w/ Broderick Crawford in the Humphrey Bogart part, and almost forty years after that, as a made for television movie, w/ Jim Belushi in the Humphrey Bogart part.

I think that of the 3 films. the original with Humphrey Bogart is by far the best, just can't picture Jim Belushi or Broderick Crawford as military men. As far as the original one thing that I've always been bothered by is that the German mechinized battalion didn't attack from more than one direction at once, always seemed to go straight at the heavy firepower, German officiers were not that dumb in the real world.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 12:34:03 AM »

I think that of the 3 films. the original with Humphrey Bogart is by far the best, just can't picture Jim Belushi or Broderick Crawford as military men. As far as the original one thing that I've always been bothered by is that the German mechinized battalion didn't attack from more than one direction at once, always seemed to go straight at the heavy firepower, German officiers were not that dumb in the real world.

Watch for Jim Belushi in a small role in Thief, as James Caan's ill-fated partner.  It's a military esque role, and he actually does a very good job.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:33:14 AM »

Thanks guys!  Now that you mention it, it was Humphrey Bogart. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  WWII movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.