Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:06:30 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  The Warriors: Mini Review « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Warriors: Mini Review  (Read 7065 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 02, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »

Definitely 4 or 5 slimes

Overview
Ah the Warriors – I remember watching this repeatedly on the Movie Channel back in the early 80s – a great time to be a kid I suppose …a great time when they had no regard for what types of movies played at any given hour of the day. 

Basic premise, the leader of the toughest gang summons 9 members of each gang to meet at the zoo.  He has plans to join forces and take over the city.  Some crazy guy shoots the leader and blames The Warriors.  The Warriors have to high-tale it across New York City across rival gang territory to their home turf of Coney Island, getting in many-a-fights along the way.

And in this movie we get to see a plethora of strange gangs in this futuristic-nihilist New York.  We are introduced to most of them at the initial gang meeting, but we’ll get to know a few more during the course of the film.

About the gangs – they seem to all have some kind of special theme or gimmick, some of which are rather amusing.  First and foremost, we have the Warriors themselves, a group of shirtless guys, mostly with afros, who wear funky brown leather vests –I wonder what they wear during the cold New York Winters?  We have the Riffs, a predominantly black martial arts gang, which seems to have the most numbers and the best organization, which is probably why they rule all the other gangs.  Then we have the Rogues, a group of trashy guys who start all the trouble to begin with. 

We get to see the Warriors fight some rather interesting gangs: first, we get a glimpse of the Turnbull ACs – a bus load of skinheads, both black and white.  Then we get to see a gang of guys that don’t seem to bath – the Orphans, a group so pathetic that they weren’t even invited to gang meeting at the zoo.  Then we get to meet a group of guys who seem to be a mix between KISS and some rather extreme baseball fans, the Baseball Furies.  Next we meet an all-woman gang of bad asses called the Lizzies.  And finally, the Warriors meet a gang of bib-wearing roller skaters at the subway.

We get a glimpse of a few other gangs too that are worth mentioning.  There are the Boppers, a group of purple pimps.  If that doesn’t bring a slight grin to your face, I present the High Hats, a group of menacing-looking mimes.

Good
A lot of fight scenes
Quotes-a-plenty!
Awesome reference to a Greek play

Bad
A gang of farmers who fight while wearing roller skates?
The “love” interest chick –seems kinda forced
The afros-a-plenty
Dude from Xanadu is the new leader of the Warriors?!
Too much film time on the subway
Actually attending a city-wide gang meeting unarmed
Cyrus’s plan doesn’t factor in the Feds.  Can you dig it?
All these super tough nasty gangs actually pay for their subway tickets
No punker gangs in the age of Punk rock music?!

Ugly
The fight with the roller-bibs in the subway bathroom – ouch!
The warriors’ vests
Baseball Fury face paint

Observations
Gangs: menacing mimes, purple pimps, roller bibs, extreme baseball fans, and black skinheads?
Where in the world is Carman San Diego?  I bet the lady on the mic knows

Memorable Quotes:

“20 thousand hardcore members”

“The chicks are packed!”

“Alive if possible; if not, wasted”

“Warriors…come out to play…Warriors…come out to play-ay!”

“Why’d ya do it?”
"No reason, I just like doing things like that."

"Can you count suckers? Cuz the future is ours, if you can count."

Recap coming eventually…
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:20:43 PM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:29:33 AM »

Hehe, I've been thinking of doing my own little review of this one.  Great film, can ya dig it?

Nice mini review.  I particularly liked how crazy the gangs were.  Those Furies were funny looking but I bet they scared the hell out of some children.

Also liked the mythology behind it: based vaguely [from what I remember] on the Battle Of Thermopalye, back in ancient Greece where 300 or so Spartan warriors held off the entire Persian Army in a small mountainous area long enough to have the Greeks prepare themselves and then defeat the Persian armies.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:51:49 AM »

I lived in the Pelham Park area,(Fordam to be exact) in the early 80's...and to see so many white people,let alone skinheads,is rare.Of course,the movie is not exactly realistic...lotsa fun,though!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:38:08 AM »

Oh and I was also reading the other day that there's a remake in the works.

I think it is planned to be by the same guy who did "Domino" but can't be bothered checking it right now.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ledbelly418
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:01:06 PM »

Im watching the directors cut of the Warriors... they have comic book chapter breaks,
It seems to me that they dont need that to get the 70s marvel comic vibe, it already has that
my question ... is the greek soldier intro in the original or not ?
raj

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »

Agree about the comic book breaks -- it disrupts the flow of the movie.  Really fun movie though.

PS, great review Clockwork Canary
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 08:13:11 AM »

CAAAAAAN YOOOOUUUUU DIG IIIIIIIIIIT?!?!?!

(Really, now.  Even considering the surprisingly kickass "chase" theme of the film, the fight scenes, and the sheer insanity of the meeting with the Lizzies...Cyrus ruled this movie.)
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »

This is a great movie. Netfilx sponsored a big screening over at Coney Island a couple of months back and even had a Q&A session with most of the cast.

I didn't attend and kick myself for not.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:39:21 PM by rich andrini » Logged

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 06:32:30 PM »

Good work, Clockwork (though I'm a little late in congratulating you).

I just saw this for the first time recently, filling a big gap in my cult movie education.

I'd give it 4/5.  It's an exciting exploitation film with a well done gimmick.  I think the more effort was spent characterizing the various gangs than the actual Warriors themselves, which is cool since the setting is the star here.

My favorite gang were the Boppers (pimps in spangling purple vests).   Wish we could have seen them in a fight scene.  Honorable mention: the gang who's colors were Hawaiian shirts and cowboy hats.

The story it's (very, very loosely) based on is The Anabasis.  It's a true story by the fascinating Greek soldier/philopher Xenophon, who was a pupil of Socrates.  Every review I've ever scene of the movie mentions it's classical source.  In reality, there's not much at all of the Anabasis in here, but if it works in promoting the movie as something above normal exploitation fare, I guess it's OK.

I agree that the comic book intertitles were useless--like we would have no idea this is a filmed comic without them. 

It's over a year later and I haven't heard any more rumblings about a remake.  There was also supposed to be a video game based on this flick.  I wonder if it ever came out?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »

Yup the video game did come out and I bought it at the start of the year. It was by Rockstar, same company who made Grand Theft Auto, and as such it is a very well thought out game and quite fun.  Basically it's a bit of a bash, smash and rumble type game, with a pretty good plot to boot.

It basically tracks the rise of the Warriors before they got the invite to the big meeting, and then of course the events of the movie.  There's also a few side missions explaining how the various Warriors joined the gang.

The idea to set it before the movie was pretty inspired.  This gives you plenty of time to set up the different gang rivalries, and the characters are pretty well thought out here.  It also has that really boppin' soundtrack to boot.

Missions include things like protecting turf, stealing car radios, spray painting your logo in various gang locations to 'show how tough the Warriors are' and so on.

You also get much more in depth face time with the various gangs, which is great because that requires lots of bottles smashing over heads and brick throwing.

Fun times.  Rockstar really know how to make a good gang game.

Yep, it was a very fun game, especially if you liked the movie.  I have it on PS2 so if you own one, get this game, it's well worth it just to 'play the movie'.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  The Warriors: Mini Review « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.