Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:15:00 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Are all those Licenses really necessary for a blockbuster movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are all those Licenses really necessary for a blockbuster movie?  (Read 1403 times)
John Morgan
« on: February 14, 2002, 12:52:06 PM »

Every since Planet of the Apes and Star Wars, just about every movie out there that boasts itself as a blockbuster has some sort of license product attached to it.  If it isn't a toy, it's some music video or other media.  

In recent years, toy companies have begun to shy away from movie toy licenses because the performance of most toy lines linked to a movie has not been as good as toy lines that are NOT linked to a movie.  (How many kids still want How the Grinch stole Christmas toys?)  If you go to Toys R Us and look at the some of toys out there that are linked to a movie, they aren't selling well.  Planet of the Apes figures (From Tim Burtons version), Jimmy Nutronic, Matrix and even Star Wars: E1 are still sitting on the shelf.  The Toys R Us here in town has a section set up for ET toys in anticipation of the re-release of that movie.  No one has touched them.  Every week I see the same figures and toys in the SAME positions.  (They will be moving soon though, our Toys R Us is scheduled to be closed soon.)  Hasbro, the company that produces Star Wars toys, indicated that toy sales for Episode 1 did not meet their expectations.  They had over produced the toys.  They even sighted that as a reason for some of the layoffs they did that year.

A recent trend in movies is the music video tie-in.  MIB, Wild Wild West, Titanic (even though at first it was not going to have one), even Mulan have music videos of songs from the movie.  Now I do not know much about the performance of music associated with a movie.   (Toys I do know, it's my other hobby.)  Does music linked to a movie really do that well?  If it is like the toy industries performance, why do it?

All these multimedia hype on movies has gotten to the point were now when you hear that a new movie is coming out you also get: trading cards, book adaptations, comic book adaptations, toys, candy, music CDs, Music Videos, Video Games, Making of the movie documentaries, and a whole list of other stuff.  (I doubt when George Lucas was writing Star Wars, he thought that kids would be wearing underwear with his name on them and the pictures of the characters he created)

What do you think of all the products linked to movies we have now?
Rev. Darkstar
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2002, 03:01:32 PM »

The worst license to movie ratio in the UK at the moment is Monsters Inc, every time you turn the TV on theres some advert that boast "Together with Monsters Inc we're making the world a better place!" thats from the Powergen advert, what the hell has Powergen got to do with Monsters Inc.
flangepart
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 11:31:38 AM »

Licensed movie stuff.......how it moves, depends on the degree of movie suckage. Also, the sheer commercial luggage that comes with a flick these days, make me cynical...well, more so then useual....and it makes me want no part of it. Some ship models are cool (X-wing, Enterprise A, Starfury,ect), but i don't get a lot of Character stuff. The last one, last year, was a Spirit Figure i got couse i'm a Will Eisner fan. And on that note, it worked for me, because it wasen't part of some Corperate money gouge, but a cool representation of a favored Hero. The expectation of profits is just greed. The Spirit was not part of that, at least to me, and so i let my nostalgia fork over the modest price of $15 for the dude.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Are all those Licenses really necessary for a blockbuster movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.