Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:30:57 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Way To Deal With Iran & N. Korea? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Best Way To Deal With Iran & N. Korea?
Flower Power - 0 (0%)
They Have The Right To Nuclear Arms - 3 (17.6%)
Economic Sanctions - 0 (0%)
Diplomacy - 1 (5.9%)
Let The U.N. Take Care Of It - 0 (0%)
Bomb Iran - 0 (0%)
Bomb N. Korea - 0 (0%)
Bomb Both Iran & N. Korea - 2 (11.8%)
Let Isreal Take Care Of Iran - 0 (0%)
Russia Is A Greater Threat - 0 (0%)
China Is A Greater Threat - 0 (0%)
One World Goverment - 2 (11.8%)
Total War: Let God Sort Out The Dead - 1 (5.9%)
All Options Stink - 8 (47.1%)
Assassinate Kim Jong Il - 0 (0%)
Assassinate Mahmoud Ahmadinejad & Mullahs - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Best Way To Deal With Iran & N. Korea?  (Read 28352 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »

Bacause it's no joking matter...

Deleted. Mia culpa.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 06:08:43 AM »

Life is too important a subject to ever talk seriously about. - Oscar Wilde

If you can't joke or laugh at a serious situation at some point, you'll drive yourself crazy stressing about it. I've done it myself in my personal life. Granted there are times when jokes are inappropriate for any serious situation, but we aren't the folks at the negotiating table.

I vote all options stink, but we have to do something. I agree getting China to lean on N. Korea, pointing out containing or stopping Kim is in their interest long term. Any actual conflict will affect them even they aren't actively involved: nukes, a ground war, refugees after a collapse, etc. They already know this, and tightly control that border. But who does more business with them, N. Korea or the US (to our disadvantage in many ways)?

As or Iran, stickier situation. Bomb the nuke program sites and you rally the discontented youth and common folk to the mullahs and their grubby little puppet. Invade and you get a ground war even messier than Iraq, even if we had the resources to do it right now. I'd advocate engaging with and backing the secular youth who will enter politics, sow the seeds of reform and hopefully spread throughout the system, take power from the mullahs, and change the country for the better. A very Cold War-style effort that will take time, one with no guarantees, look at what happened to the youth movement in China of the 80s, especially if Iran get the bomb in the meantime, but the least bad of lots of very bad options.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
BTM

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 11:26:03 AM »

Actually, the poll is missing an answer

Assassinate Kim Jon Ill (or however you spell his name.)

Not saying that's the best solution, or that it'd be easy, but it's an option.

As for the other options...

"Let The U.N. Take Care Of It"

AHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAH!!!  That's hiliarious!  I mean, after all the UN has a great track record.  Consider for example, how well they enforced all those laws they set up against Iraq.  Oh wait, they didn't!

What bugs me though is how many people blame Bush for the N Korea situation.  Maybe you could argue he's not helping things, but they fact is this: Kim is a LIAR, who's been violating agreements and contracts for DECADES now.  They even did a  little deal back in the Clinton era to give him instrucitons for a nuclear power plant in return he signed a treaty not to persue nuclear weapons.  And guess what?  He broke that treaty.  He's been doing this time and time again, so anyone who wants to lay the fault of this problem solely on the feet of Bush is seriously misguided.

So, I dunno.. maybe some covert action is needed, arming a couple of rebels within Korea (if there are any... dunno how the underground in that area.) 

Course, problem with that is in a few years you might be trading one maniac group for another, but sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils (like when the U.S. joined forced with Russia in WW2)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:20:49 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Yaddo 42

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 12:49:06 AM »

Due to the control Kim exerts over his nation, its meager resources, and its people, I doubt trying to foment revolution in N. Korea is a real option.

There are plenty of dissidents outside the country, but he imprisons or kills dissenters within the country quite often. The people are too busy just trying to survive each day due to ongoing famine (made intentionally worse by Kim) to try to rise up even if so many weren't brainwashed to love their tormentor.

Meanwhile Kim and his cronies horde the food for the military; and use its financial resources for lavish luxury items, parties, booze, drugs, imported hookers, horror movies and garish musicals, lavish parades, and public spectacles all for the glory of the bloated midget with the half-assed afro perched on his built-up shoes.

A smart, evil sneaky bastard without even a sense of style. Amin had those ludicrous cartoonish uniforms with the medals and ribbons and such, Mobutu had those leopard print hats, Marcos had Imelda and her shoe farms and skivvies (from what I've read), Qaddafi looks like an aging drag queen or a lost cast member from The Golden Girls, Saddam had those palaces filled with bad Boris Vallejo-style art and his buddies in matching mustaches on his grenade fishing trips, etc. Blood soaked monsters and killers all, yet part of the dictator persona makes so many of them indulge in weird crap like this.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
BTM

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »

Dammit to hell, I really need to REREAD my freaking posts before I hit the send button.

Got this problem where sometimes when I type, other words appear than what I'm actually meaning to say.  (Guessing it's probably some form of dyslexia/aphasia they haven't IDed yet, and will probably come out with effective treatments for it long after I'm dead...)

Need to hire  proofreader.. hehe!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
raj

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 09:12:29 AM »

From some intelligence websites I've read, there have been some coup attempts against Lil Kim, plus there was that massive "accidental" explosion that happened at a train station -- regrettably a bit after Kim's RR car had passed by.  If he can't keep the army fed, it will turn on him.
Yaddo 42

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 05:55:49 AM »

But would a successful coup put in a leader or group of them wiling to change North Korea's ways, or just put in another tyrant wanting to "be" Kim rather than knuckle under to him? Even if a leader friendly to the South and the US were to take over, China would not like losing their leverage in the region. Maybe raise their sabre-rattling concerning Taiwan to a new level.

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 01:57:29 PM »

Iran may have downed one of our U.S. drones a couple days ago over Iran.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-01/17/content_5615540.htm

the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 11:50:08 PM »

I think we should use a similar strategy to the one we used during the cold war.  If you make a nuke, test a nuke,  launch a nuke, or attack American soil,  you will face total annihilation.  End of story.  I would tell all of the countries where terrorists fluorish like Saudi Arabia that they need to clean their own houses ASAP because they will be held accountable for any terrorist attacks that can be traced to their countries.  Hopefully it wouldn't have to happen even once, but if it did, I don't think anyone would mess with us again for a very long time.

I would also bring our troops home from the ridiculous war in Iraq.

I voted for all options stink because there is no pretty way out of this situation.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:00:10 AM by the ghoul » Logged
Scott

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 07:46:43 PM »

China just knocked out old satillite with missle.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/18/070118175313.jezg0oda.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:29:23 PM by Scott » Logged

Scott

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 09:59:35 PM »

Iranian President today assured "that the United States and the Zionist regime of Israel will soon come to the end of their lives," the Iranian president was quoted as saying..

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3356154,00.html

North Korea is going to help Iran with Nuclear Testing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/24/wiran24.xml
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:09:36 PM by Scott » Logged

Scott

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 07:32:35 PM »

Iran is supposedly sending up satillite which could be a hidden way for them to test their long range missle systems.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/IRAN01257.xml

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 08:22:14 PM »

I think we should use a similar strategy to the one we used during the cold war.  If you make a nuke, test a nuke,  launch a nuke, or attack American soil,  you will face total annihilation.  End of story.  I would tell all of the countries where terrorists fluorish like Saudi Arabia that they need to clean their own houses ASAP because they will be held accountable for any terrorist attacks that can be traced to their countries. 

Very good.  You get some "saw it coming" points for this.

I actually heard on the radio today a very interesting theory.  Now granted, this was just a small group's theory and MAY be full of bunk.  I'll pass it along as I heard it, and I have to admit it makes a bit of sense.

Have you wondered why, with all the postering going on with Iran, why oh why is the price of gasoline going DOWN?  I've been paying under $2.00 a gallon for about two weeks, and saw one station today that had $1.86 per gallon.  Apparently, there's already been a drop on gas price of roughly 20%.  That's significant.  But the speculation on the oil price should be driving the price UP, due to the instabilities of the region.

Well, apparently OPEC petitioned Saudia Arabia to hold a meeting to discuss stopping the drop in prices; the Saudi's refused.  That's odd since they stand to make higher profits if the price goes up, but lower if it continues to drop.  Further, the Saudi's have announced an INCREASE in production - an increase in production while US prices are DROPPING.  Can you say WTF?

Further, all of this came after Cheney went to Saudi and had a nice little chat with the King of Saud.  That's what I heard.

So, here's the theory as it was presented (assuming all these 'facts' are correct; I have not vetted them myself).  The US ultimately defeated the USSR in the cold war economically; we outspent them and we bankrupted them.  And, it seems that that is the strategy here as well.

Due to technological problems and poor refining capacity, Iran cannot profit on their oil if the world price is less than $60.00 per barrel.  Last year, Venezeula (and others?) were seeking contracts that would guarantee prices above $50.00 per barrel, iirc.  Anyway, if the world price continues to drop, Iran will LOSE ITS BUTT.  It could bankdrupt the country, much as was done in the USSR.  As it is now, Iran exports crude, but must inport gasoline - they are the second largest importer of refined gasoline (to us), but if the market drops on the crude (as it is right now), they will not be able to afford to buy the refined product.

So, it seems like the ghoul may be on to something.  Maybe, at least one national radio talker things, we are beating Iran in the same manner we won the Cold War - using our economic might.

It'll be fun to watch. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Yaddo 42

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 05:41:54 AM »

Listened to Glenn Beck Friday, I guess?

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 08:01:41 AM »

Listened to Glenn Beck Friday, I guess?

LOL; yep, for about 20 minutes, and that's part I caught.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Way To Deal With Iran & N. Korea? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.