Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:28:32 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  RIP Ando Momofuku, the Father of Ramen « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RIP Ando Momofuku, the Father of Ramen  (Read 8362 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 07, 2007, 07:13:58 AM »

For those times when you need to get 100% of your daily sodium, but are hungry for noodles.

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/07/0634214

I remember being explained the concept of "Ramenomics" years ago by another Marine.  "See, they pay us $8 a day for food.  If I eat three things of ramen, that comes out to less than a dollar."  Yes, I think the other Marine was advocating ramen for breakfast.

EDIT: Why can I never remember to close my quotations lately?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:04:50 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »

All of Japan, plus all otaku, college students, pot heads, shut ins, food stamps recipients, bad cooks, and the working poor should take the time to observe a moment of silence to remember the man who kept us fed as he gradually elevated our blood pressure.

I've relied on them at other times, but when I was in DC hot dogs, chips and salsa, salad in a bag, and lots of ramen noodles kept me alive on a limited budget. And I actually lost weight while eating all that. Didn't get any healthier, but I lost weight.

I also used to know a girl who would make the noodles, pour in the "flavor" packet, and only eat them after she had drained off the liquid. tried it that way and nearly choked, plus the liquid helps fill you up.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:15:53 AM »

All of Japan, plus all otaku, college students, pot heads, shut ins, food stamps recipients, bad cooks, and the working poor should take the time to observe a moment of silence to remember the man who kept us fed as he gradually elevated our blood pressure.

He's dead? Momofuku! Was he really the inventor of ramen?

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:05:46 AM »

I think he was the patron saint of college students.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:02:39 AM »

Back in 1985,I spent 45 days in jail for jumping bail on a drunk driving charge.(I returned from NYC and turned myself in.) the judge gave me 2 options: Jail or pay $350 in fines.I took jail.) Ramen noodles could be gotten through  commisary,and was money, like ciggerattes.I cannot,to this day eat Ramen noodles.My kids love them.All jailbirds should take a moment of silence between card games and arguing about magizines,in his memory.
Oh yeah,my kids drain the water too.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
raj

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »

Ah, there are others who drain the water, I thought I was the only one. 

My first real job after college paid really poorly.  Sometimes dinner would consist of ramen noodles sprinkled with frozen peas (warmed up).  And I'd wait for the ramen to go on sale.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »

And I'd wait for the ramen to go on sale.

What would it be on sale?  11 cents a bag?  I swear, I cannot figure out how they make a profit on that stuff, which is another reason it scares me.  And, yes, I still eat it.  A bunch of us Marines used to be able to make a mean soup out of ramen with MRE pepper, freeze dried peas, and this weird powdered mustard stuff.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
raj

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »

What would it be on sale?  11 cents a bag?

Just about.  This was late 1980s.  It would go from 6 for $1 to 10 for $1

I swear, I cannot figure out how they make a profit on that stuff, which is another reason it scares me.  And, yes, I still eat it.
I also don't want to know how sausage is made, though I'll still eat it.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »

As a former Marine myself I am very much in tune with "Ramenomics" as well as "Cup-o-Noodlenomics" which was reserved for the wealthy that could afford the little died peas, carrots and freeze dried shrimp ( That looked more like Krill than Shrimp). Alas, I have many memories of enjoying these tasty sodium laced treats that with every bite I felt a noticeable spike in my blood pressure and while it has been nearly 20 years since these little plastic packages of death were required living due to "Ramenomics" of the day, I do still find them enjoyable, quick and easy. A must have for those cold nights of late night movie enjoyment.

I salute you Ando Momofuku, as you saved me from certain starvation more than once not to mention finical rune in the days of extreme poverty.

odinn7

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 11:28:57 PM »

Never mind everything else...that is one cool last name!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 12:11:19 AM »

You still see those kind of sales on ram on, usually ten for a dollar, but sometimes nine cents each. I know I've seen seen the large 20 packs for somewhere for a buck to $1.25 at times but not lately. But I tend to stick to Wally World for grocery shopping. Might be able to get better prices at places like Costco and Sam's or maybe Aldi.

Slightly hijack - They're a perk in jail? Huh! I'll have to ask some of my co-workers about that. They often go into comparisons of the menus of the various local lock-ups. The consensusion is that if you have to get locked up around here, do it in Muscle Shoals, they feed you from the fast food chain Jack's for every meal. The others tend to use Bologna sandwiches and institutional food (obviously).

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 04:10:09 AM »

I used to live off those, until my older brother told me how bad they are for you.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 04:49:48 PM »

It can be improved with some bullion cubes, a can of vegies and some canned corned beef. And pepper...lots of pepper.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »

It can be improved with some bullion cubes, a can of vegies and some canned corned beef. And pepper...lots of pepper.

I bought some today in memory of Momofuku.

I generally fix mine with broth in the place of water, and I only use enough to soften the noodles with very little additional liquid left after cooking. I mix in everything from chili to canned meat to leftovers. And if you have those dehydrated bell pepper flakes, use those as well.

I'm also weird in that I tend to crush the noodles so they are easily eaten with a spoon.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  RIP Ando Momofuku, the Father of Ramen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.