Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:14:45 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Doom (2005) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Doom (2005)  (Read 6078 times)
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:56:32 PM »

Yes, I've heard that the movie was based more on Doom III than on any of the originals. It was mainly hearing that they were throwing out the whole "Gateway to Hell" concept that made me decide not to bother seeing it, though. If they'd kept the themes about Hell, those would have given it just a smidgen more intellectual and philosophical depth, which would probably have been enough for me. Without that, though, you just have another "Kill'em all and let God sort'em out!" flick.

Nobody was expecting a C.S. Lewis-quality theological treatise, mind. I'm just saying it would have been nice for it to have, say, the same level of intellect as 6th Day starring Schwartzenegger: in that film, there were actually a lot of very deep philosophical issues, though they were mostly handled with the usual breezy humor and groaner punchlines from Schwartzenegger and Co. "Car chase. Cool!" "Try to stay dead this time." "I wish I could say 'The one and only.'" "When I told you to go screw yourself, I didn't mean for you to take it literally." The science wasn't all that great either, but it's more about philosophy than science anyway.

With Hell, in addition to the theological issues, the writers could have gotten into the paranoia of knowing there may well be horrors beyond anything we've imagined lurking just out of reach from us, and that the barrier between us and those things may be very thin indeed. The question "What does Hell want with a moon base?" would have been good to explore, as well as "Are there some things mankind really was never meant to know?" From what little plot there was in the manual for the original Doom, there seemed to be the hint that the people responsible for building and operating the gates disregarded numerous warnings that they were meddling with things better left alone, and that this was a richly-deserved punishment for their sins.

A loner's atmosphere would probably have been better, too. Part of the whole emotional appeal of the game was a kind of heroism inherent in being the only survivor. Also, the lone marine was the kind of character all the Doom gamers liked to play: isn't that why the gamers came to see the movie? I'm hoping that Hollywood will "get" this little point about the target audience someday, but so far my hope has been in vain...
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 02:42:52 AM »

This, like quite a few recent VideoGame movies like Resident Evil suffers from the writer's changing too much.

On their own the movies aren't that bad.  Doom was enjoyable, but nothing fancy.

It just always seems that when they take a key feature of the game [ie the oft quoted Gateway to Hell Problem] then you lose alot of the charm of the film.

It's almost better off if they made the movie, and named it something else, since then at least it gives someone the option to make a movie that's actually got the game as a basis.

I suppose they have to get funding somehow, which is why I suppose they frustrate me so...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 10:10:24 AM »

This, like quite a few recent VideoGame movies like Resident Evil suffers from the writer's changing too much.

On their own the movies aren't that bad.  Doom was enjoyable, but nothing fancy.

It just always seems that when they take a key feature of the game [ie the oft quoted Gateway to Hell Problem] then you lose alot of the charm of the film.

It's almost better off if they made the movie, and named it something else, since then at least it gives someone the option to make a movie that's actually got the game as a basis.

I suppose they have to get funding somehow, which is why I suppose they frustrate me so...

I agree with you Dean. Looking back at the Resident Evil movies if you actually change some key names like Umbrella and the logo and other minor adjustments (Like the monsters) you could named it anything.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:52:16 AM by rich andrini » Logged

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

BTM

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »

Well, I've stayed away from it ever since SFX Magazine (I think) said of it 'another four letter word would have been so much more appropriate'.

HAHA!  That's funny!  : Twirling

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
~Archivist~
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 01:48:13 AM »

I only played the original PC game a bit, and none of the others.  I wasn't expecting that much when it was announced, but the trailer looked good, so I took a punt and saw it in the cinema.  Me and my mate were the only other people in there, other than two giggling teenage girls who threw candy at us!

I was really impressed.  It could have been a brainless gunfest but it became an involving and even thought-provoking movie.  The plot device that only a certain percentage of the population became 'monsters' was a good move.  And the action wasn't bad at all.  I really liked it, and have the DVD.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Doom (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.