Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:32:05 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Psychotronic Video Guide « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Psychotronic Video Guide  (Read 11871 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 10, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »

I pulled this off my reference shelf and have been reading through it again.  Books that can be easily digested a bit at a time, like movie reviews and short stories, are ones I keep around the table.  While I am eating breakfast (I often leave the house when Katie and the kids are just getting up) I can read a few pages.

Anyway, this book is a must have for fans of cult and b-movies.  The capsule reviews are only a paragraph long, but they give you enough of a taste to spark an interest.  I do not know how many titles I have sought out over the years after running across them in this book.  There must be thousands of capsule reviews.

This and my copy of "Keep Watching the Skies!" are my two favorite books about movies.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »

I like these kind of books too.  Be careful of Phil Hardy's movie encyclopedias though.  They are chuck full of major spoilers and often inaccuracies that lead me to wonder if the reviewers had ever seen in the movie in question.  Still a good reference for completists.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »

I've got the PV Guide and its preceding volume ,the Psychotronic Guide to Film. I even used to have a sub to Micheal Weldon's magazine...Untill it went belly up.I'm kinda p**sed at Mr.Weldon as of late,because I never got a warning that it was being cut off,a refund or a fu@k you very much.I contributed an EXTREMLY expensive ish of After hours magazine(Ish 3,vol ) from 1958,which in collecters circles is known as Famous Monsters #0,for it was the predessor of FM#1,with half the ish done by Forrest J.Ackerman about horror movies.A 2 page spread was done in Mike's mag,and he thanked "Ron C.Merchant from Lawton,Michigan "for sharing it with his readers. And now this guy will not even give me the time of day to send me back my lousy refund!ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Sorry...yeah,it is a good book.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »

That sucks about your online subscription.  I have seen it a number of times when somebody gets in over their head and *poof* they are gone.  At the very least, he could promulgate information about what happened.  I saw that the site was turned into a link farm.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »

Actually it was a sub to his print mag.I don't hate the guy...more dissapointed in him than anything.Oh well.If he went bankrupt, Iwish him luck.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 01:45:24 AM »

Mine has been my default bathroom book for the past year and some.  I also have a list of films from there that continually grows.  Once I get all the way through the book, I'll be able to type it up and begin in depth searching, though I've already snagged a few films that I remembered the titles of.  Next up is to locate a copy of the first book, but I don't know if it will be pricy or not.

Famous Mortimer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 07:28:36 AM »

I've got the PV Guide and its preceding volume ,the Psychotronic Guide to Film. I even used to have a sub to Micheal Weldon's magazine...Untill it went belly up.I'm kinda p**sed at Mr.Weldon as of late,because I never got a warning that it was being cut off,a refund or a fu@k you very much.I contributed an EXTREMLY expensive ish of After hours magazine(Ish 3,vol ) from 1958,which in collecters circles is known as Famous Monsters #0,for it was the predessor of FM#1,with half the ish done by Forrest J.Ackerman about horror movies.A 2 page spread was done in Mike's mag,and he thanked "Ron C.Merchant from Lawton,Michigan "for sharing it with his readers. And now this guy will not even give me the time of day to send me back my lousy refund!ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Sorry...yeah,it is a good book.
Couldn't you have just sent a copy of the pages?

"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 06:30:35 PM »

Yeah....I guess I coulda....but I'm a dumbass....live and learn.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »

I've read this, but never owned a copy. I did have a copy of this on top of my tv for many years....

I'd put a mark next to every movie I'd seen; by the time the book fell apart, (1991) I had over 1900 entries marked.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »

I have a bunch of issues of the magazine. I like his writing but it has spoilers galore
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Psychotronic Video Guide « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.