Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:45:05 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Friday the 13th: The Series « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Friday the 13th: The Series  (Read 11304 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 15, 2007, 11:42:16 PM »

I am writing this article, and stand by my review, despite what others may say.

If you were to mention Friday the 13th to any horror fan, it is generally assumed you are referring to the films. If you were to bring up the television series, horror purists will say it sucked. Why, you ask? because it had nothing to do with Jason Vorhees. The problem with this is that these fans are making the assumption that, because it uses the name but only tenuously connected (but still connected, I'll explain in a minute) to the films, it can't be any good. However, if you look at it as a TV series in its own right, its actually pretty damn good.

Antique store owner Louis Verendi made a Faustian deal with Satan in return for worldly power and knowledge. As part of the deal, all the objects in his shop became cursed, each item rewarding its owner in return for evil behavior. Some time later, Louis dies, and his two benign but naieve cousins Mickey and Ryan inherit the shop. Not wanting to be burdened with running the store, they mark everything down and have a closing sale.  But Jack Marshak, an old friend of Louis, returns and lets the new owners in on the big secret. The trio become charged with tracking down each item listed in the store manifest and lock it away to prevent it from causing evil. Here are a few of the items, along with how they worked:

Gold Compact-Flash it in a man's eyes, and he will fall desparately in love with you, until you are forced to kill him.

Mulcher-Wood goes in, woodchips come out. Bodies go in, money comes out.

Cupid of Malek-Makes a woman fall desparately in love with you...until you have sex with her. Then she dies.

World War 2 Kamakaze jacket-spill blood on the jacket, and it makes its wearer invisible.

Vita the Doll-Victorian doll that speaks in a sweet voice, and gives a child the power to strike back at those who torment her.

Druid Fertility Charm-Grows into a tree when buried in the ground. Grants fertility and ensures twin births. Oh, and the tree gets to eat the father.

Baby Crib-If you drown 7 people in water, it will cure your baby's fatal disease.

Quilt of Hathor-Allows the user to enter the dreams of others and kill them, not unlike Freddy Kruger.

Dog Collar-Strangle enough women with it, and your dog will become a woman.

Three Monkeys Statues-Tests the honor of your family. If they pass, great. But if they fail...

Fountain Pen-Turns a struggling writer into the writer of great murder mysteries. Unfortunately, the murders occur in real life as they are written down.

Book of Lucifer-Forget Anton Lavey, this book's the real deal, written by the man downstairs. If all the prophecies come true, the devil rises to earth.

Coin of Ziocles-Heads, you bring a corpse to life. Tails, someone dies.

So I went a little overboard on the examples. I don't care. First of all, you can't compare the show to the movie, thats like comparing apples and oranges. The stories are great, the characters are believable, and the effects are pretty good (especially for an early 90's TV show). Sadly, this review is being done mostly from memory-despite various internet petitions that are circulating, the show has not yet been released on DVD, and unless they decide to start showing reruns on scifi again, I don't see it coming back anytime soon. On the other hand, it lasted three seasons and had pretty high ratings in its day (until John D. Lemay left, and then it kinda went downhill), so there may still be hope. FUN FACT: According to imdb, not to mention most of the other sites I checked out, the last object listed in Louis Verendi's manifest was the hockey mask belonging to Jason Vorhees. This would have been the subject of the series finale, had it ever gotten to air, and provided the missing connection to the movies. It might have also provided some insight into how Jason first came back from the dead.

NOTE: Since this revew was written, I have heard conflicting reports about the existance of other "missing" episodes, including the last episode, in which Jason is said to have appeared. Some claim the episodes were shot and unaired, some claim to have seen the Jason episode themselves (this may be confused with John D. Lemay's appearance as a new and unrelated character in Jason goes to Hell), and some claim they are a myth. If anyone could help shed light on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:18:58 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:51:17 AM »

Even using the Friday the 13th name, the series was more connected to the movies than Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

For a syndicated horror anthology series, it is surprising to have lasted 3 years.   

One episode, I remember had David Cronenberg as a faith healer with a pair of cursed gloves that let him sure people by transferring the illness to someone else...

I've heard the same rumor about the hockey mask being the last item.  Had the final episode even aired once, more people would have remembered it. 

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:27:30 AM »

I was never a huge fan of the show, mostly watched since it aired in late night slots around the movies and other syndicated stuff like Soul Train. I grew to like it more during the SciFi reruns, had more appreciation for the series independent of the movies series (non/semi)connection.

I guy I knew in highschool who was a fan was convinced the two cousin characters were hot for each other, and was waiting for the "special" episode where "they do it". He was serious.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Famous Mortimer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:56 AM »

You make a good defence of it, but your explanation for the last episode doesn't really hold water. So Jason, after murdering his sister (wearing a clown mask) and escaping from the asylum years later, drives to this shop and buys a hockey mask before popping to Haddonfield to murder a few teens there?

I'm sorry, I probably thought about it more than the scriptwriters did. It's not a bad idea for a series, for sure, I just don't get the link to the films.

"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:04:39 AM »

Famous Mortimer................. thats michael myers  Lookingup
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:13:16 AM »

Jason was a hillbilly mongoloid who obtained his hockey mask from the loser in Friday 3 in 3D.  Interesting way to connect it to the show, but I still think they used the name soley for marketing purposes, even if one show had better writing than the entire film series :)  But, more power to 'em.  I used to watch this.  I distinctly remember the Cupid episode.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »

agreed clockworkcanary
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 11:22:21 AM »

I used to watch the show and found it entertaining...of course I was hot for the red headed Mickey... Wink

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
BTM

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

Druid Fertility Charm-Grows into a tree when buried in the ground. Grants fertility and ensures twin births. Oh, and the tree gets to eat the father.

Whoa, I missed that ep.  Wonder if it was a first season...

Yeah, I thought the series was pretty good myself.  I especially liked the often ironic way the villians would find themselves the victims of the very items they were using on others. 

The show did start get a little reptitive by the third season though.  I think one of the things that may have bothered a lot of fans is how Ryan (Ryan was Mickey's cousin, Johnny's the guy who took is place is Season 3) was turned into a child in the last ep of the second season.  I'm guessing they did because the guy who plays Ryan (John D. LeMay) wanted to leave the show and they didn't want to kill the character off, so they thought this would be a happy ending for him.

You probably know this, but another (off-screen) connection was Frank Mancuso Jr., one of the writer, was a producer on several of the Friday the 13th films.

And yeah, it should get a DVD release. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 11:07:57 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 12:52:03 PM »

Ah, Friday the 13th: The Series.  I'm not a horror fan in general (and I'm here?), but damn I loved this show.  It had a decent hook--completely unrelated to the movies in tone, sure, but very well done for the time.  It had a modestly good cast, even allowing for that odd vibe I sometimes got from Ryan and Micki--and, yes, Robey was raw sex appeal even with big hair; I won't deny that helped out quite a bit.

Ultimately, though: while it certainly had its cheesier moments combined with its better ones, this show totally had me with one episode: Mesmer's Bauble.  Sure, it was one of the highest-profile episodes--this was the one with Vanity basically playing herself--but it was a remarkably dark and interesting story with one hell of a twist ending.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 01:01:44 PM »

I remember watching the series with my grandmother (She was a Scfi-fi/Horror fan) vaguely because I was still very young. Remeber the store and a couple of charaters but no epsiodes.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 05:07:17 PM »

I liked the series and definitely feel it superior to the FRIDAY THE 13TH films. Certainly one of Canada's best TV efforts.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Torgo

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 06:43:52 PM »

I thought that this series was pretty good overall. Haven't seen an episode of it in YEARS however.

I remember one episode I think that has a big scene set at a lighthouse in which a man got an axe in the back of the head (though it was shown from the front since it was on TV).

Anyone know which episode this might have been? I can't remember any more than that.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Dave
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 10:37:33 PM »

For a blog post that never quite came together, I googled Robey, the red-haired woman from that show and found this site: http://www.louiserobey.com/
It's a pretty good site, with actual interesting info about how she became a duchess for awhile, and stuff like that. There's this video of her singing that "One Night In Bangcock" song that just about made me crap my damn pants.

http://gaycelebritycrap.blogspot.com

http://davemunger.blogspot.com

I'm Dave Munger from the olden days, BTW.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:49:40 PM »

Dave, you provided fair warning, but that "One Night in Bangkok" video probably deserves a big warning text above it.  Wow, I thought my head was going to explode.  Of course, it doesn't help that I just finished watching "Killer Tongue."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Friday the 13th: The Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.