Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:13:47 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Macabre « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Macabre  (Read 5001 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 17, 2007, 01:44:45 AM »

This is why cheaters never win.

I've been trying to rent some of the more obscure Spagetti Horror films to see if any of them are lost classics. At the moment I am concentrating on the work of Lamberto Bava (son of Mario) and, while following the traditional giallo format, so far none of what I've seen really had any of Argento's style or substance. That's not to say they're terrible films, they just dont live up to the master's works. A Blade in the Dark, for instance, had good atmosphere but very little gore and almost no real story (although lack of plot is a problem that can be leveled at many of Dario's works, there's usually more than enough to make up for it, whereas BITD dragged on between murders).

Today I received Macabre. This was Lamberto's first film, released shortly before the death of his father (Interesting side note: Mario's last contribution to film before his death was, ironically, the grim reaper in Inferno), and was based on a true story. In New Orleans, a married woman with two children carries on an affair behind her husband's back. During one such tryst, she is interrupted by the news that her son has drowned in a bathtub. Horrified, she demands that her lover drive her to her house to confirm what she was told. The lover crashes the car, and he is killed. A year passes, and the woman is released from a mental hospital. Divorced from her husband, she takes up in an apartment owned by the blind brother of her deceased lover. Despite their mutual attraction for one another, the woman ignores the blind man's advances and gives her affections instead to a mysterious being who visits her late at night. A being who happens to have the same name as her dead lover. The only thing stranger than that is her odd habit of keeping her kitchen freezer shut with a padlock...

There's a story here, enough to keep you fairly entertained all the way through. Not a lot of gore, and the murder scenes arent all that fascinaing. Still worth the rental, and certainly not as bad as I feared it might be. During the making-of featurette, however, I saw an impressive clip of the movie I want to see next-Bava's Shock. B- or C+, somewhere in that area.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 10:12:10 AM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Macabre « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.